U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 11:56 AM

29,546 posts, read 16,472,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
All of LSU's other opponents were finished off by the time the 4th quarter started.
Toughies like NW State, Miss State, Tennessee, Western KY, Ole Miss, .... impressive. There are at least a dozen teams that could have waxed all of those teams.

But, we are not debating LSU....

there are several teams that should have gotten the nod for Jan 9 ahead of Alabama. Bama had their chance and failed. We should let somebody else try. Somebody with an offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Nobody's debating that there's a better way to resolve the dispute here. But OSU is no more deserving of a shot with LSU than Alabama is. It doesn't matter that they won their conference. It's bad luck for Alabama that they don't play in the SEC East. If they did, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. Maybe the conferences can reconsider having divisions and just open it up to a 1-2 in each conference for a title game in the future.
I don't care about winning the conf. AL had their shot at LSU and failed, so they shouldn't get a second chance. Somebody else should get a chance.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:11 PM

9,578 posts, read 8,879,369 times
Quote:
Nobody can be 100 percent certain which team would beat which team. Nobody saw OSU melting down and losing to a 6-6 team in Iowa State, for instance. And that didn't prevent OSU from coming back and clobbering OU in the weeks that followed. I get that sports prognostication isn't a science; it's, at best, an art.

But what we're really talking about here, besides the obvious fact of the system being broken, is who are the two best teams in the country. Because right now, that's what the BCS supposedly aims to do. It is supposed to have a combination of voters and computers select the two teams that appear to have had the most impressive system. That doesn't guarantee that the two teams are the best; that doesn't even guarantee that a team like Kansas State couldn't on any given Saturday go out and beat LSU. Anything can happen in any game -- that ain't the point. The point is, when you look at the seasons, which two teams appeared to have the most impressive seasons from one game to the next, and in some cases, literally from one half or one quarter to the next.

When you look at it that way, it's just hard to argue for OSU over Alabama. Before their game against Stanford, I admit it: I was hemming and hawing over this one, and a part of me thought, 'Yeah, maybe OSU does deserve it.' Had OSU gone out and controlled the game against Stanford or at least slowed Andrew Luck down, I'd probably still be down with OSU. But after watching that game, it raises serious doubts in my mind. I walked away from that bar tab with the feeling that OSU's defense is occasionally good, especially against familiar opponents that it prepares for, but that it's not particularly dominant against the run. And Stanford actually did a pretty good job of containing OSU's offense until the second half, and this is the part that really makes me think more and more that Alabama is more deserving. OSU's collapse against Iowa St. now doesn't seem like just a fluke anymore. It seems as though OSU could let any team run wild on them. If ISU put up nearly 200 yards rushing on OSU, and if Stanford ran for 243 yards, how many yards would Trent Richardson get -- 300? I seriously doubt OSU could stop Alabama. And believe me, they're not going to put up 41 points against that defense.
I have no interest in arguing who the better team MIGHT be... Just arguing it is feeding the insanity!

Old 01-06-2012, 12:40 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,606,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But we don't know that, do we, since they haven't played many of the other top ranked teams that are not in their conf. Alabama's non conf schedule was pathetic.
But OSU didn't play any ranked teams outside their conference either. They played a team that lost to Rutgers -- freaking Rutgers -- in a bowl game...and they lost. So I think that takes care of that. I get that people think it would be more interesting to see LSU play OSU, but BCS is designed to match #1 and #2, regardless of which conference they're in. OSU is not the #2 team in the nation. Sorry, but they're just not. We all know that now.

Quote:
It would be quite interesting to see LSU play a high powered offense. There are several that would make the Jan 9 game much more interesting.
LSU *did* play a high powered offense. They've played several of them.

Oregon scored 46 ppg -- they were lucky to get to 27 against LSU.

Arkansas was on a roll -- til they played LSU.

Georgia was rolling -- til they played LSU.

WVU put up a record 70 points in the Orange Bowl -- but only 21 against LSU.

All of these star-studded offenses could not slow down LSU. The only team that could this year was Alabama. In fact, the Tide could have defeated LSU if they had a better kicking game.

The debate has been settled: LSU and Alabama are the two best teams in the nation.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
OSU is not the #2 team in the nation. Sorry, but they're just not. We all know that now.
No we don't. You may think so, and yes, many others do too. But many don't think so including many BCS voters and the BCS computers. And you certainly don't KNOW that. You just THINK that.

Quote:
The debate has been settled: LSU and Alabama are the two best teams in the nation.
The debate has only been settled in your mind. But millions of people disagree with you as do the BCS computers.

You keep quoting LSU stats.... we're not debating that LSU should be in the Jan 9 game. Just Alabama.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
No we don't. You may think so, and yes, many others do too. But many don't think so including many BCS voters and the BCS computers. And you certainly don't KNOW that. You just THINK that.
I understand what millions of fans might think, but I'm asking you and those fans to look at the facts of how the BCS works, and I'm then asking you to look at the facts about the entire season and how things played out.

OSU had a great year, and yes, they won their conference -- I'm not debating that. And in most sports leagues, college or pro, it's the champion of one bracket playing against the champion of another bracket for the title. Unfortunately, though, that's NOT how it works in division 1 football. That might be how it should work, but that's not how it actually does work. It works by having the team with the best season-long performance against the team with the second best season-long performance.

I already laid out the case for all to see. OSU had a great season, with many wins against only one loss, but Alabama had essentially the same kind of year. If Alabama had not played LSU and lost to, say, Vanderbilt or even Arkansas or Georgia, or if they had actually lost in decisive fashion to LSU, I'd be inclined to say OSU is more deserving. But that's not what happened. Alabama nearly handed the only undefeated team in the nation it's only loss. It was the only team to take a team of this caliber to OT. It had opportunities to win the game, in fact. OSU lost to a team that lost to Rutgers. And they got lucky against Stanford. OSU is good, probably really good, but not BCS title worthy.

Quote:
Just Alabama.
Before the bowl season began, there wasn't really an advantage that OSU had over Alabama. Both teams played 7 bowl teams on their schedule, and both teams went 6-1 against those teams. I will admit that now that the bowl teams have played, it would appear that OSU probably had a tough schedule from week to week, and on that basis, I would give OSU a slight edge there.

However, that edge is only slight. And when I look at how OSU played against Stanford, in my mind, all the air in that argument for OSU leaked out of that balloon. I just don't think, and I don't think any objective observer, would really look at that game and come away thinking that OSU is a destroyer. I think OSU could hang with anybody on any given night, but so could about 10 other teams. You could say that of any team in the top 10 or even the top 15 really. Again, which team had the better overall season? I think it's hard to argue against Alabama. They don't play pretty football. It's not always fun to watch, but it's extremely effective. Alabama would have to be favored if they played OSU.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 PM

Arkansas, a team that didn't play much defense, holds K-State to its lowest point total of the season. The one SEC vs. Big 12 match-up, and the SEC wins it easily.

Big 12 football? LOL.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Arkansas, a team that didn't play much defense, holds K-State to its lowest point total of the season. The one SEC vs. Big 12 match-up, and the SEC wins it easily.

Big 12 football? LOL.

The Big 12 wins the Bowl Season this year with the best overall conference record in bowl games.

Like you say, you can't argue with the stats.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:23 AM

Yeah, maybe the best record when you count in a Texas win over Cal, which says little about the strength at the top. Last night's win over K-State team didn't necessarily prove anything between OSU and Bama, but it does seem to reinforce the idea that the SEC is stronger at the top, as it has been for nearly the past decade.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:20 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,169,167 times
Quote:

Big 12 football? LOL.
Pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football