U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:46 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,380,639 times

Advertisements

Not that they would slow down, but once a team made the playoffs it wouldn't matter what happened the rest of the way as far as them winning a national title. It would make conference titles even more meaningless as far as the national title goes. The rivalry games at the end of the season wouldn't count for anything other than bragging rights in a lot of cases, because a team will probably either have already made the playoffs by then or will already be out of it.

This could be prevented by limiting it to four teams, but at that point you'd still have at least one or two teams being left out.

The big question to me would be how all this would work without extending the football season into February, and how many fans would be able to keep going to all these games? Logistically I just don't see how it works unless college football is overhauled to where it doesn't resemble what we have now at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,746,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
Not that they would slow down, but once a team made the playoffs it wouldn't matter what happened the rest of the way as far as them winning a national title. It would make conference titles even more meaningless as far as the national title goes. The rivalry games at the end of the season wouldn't count for anything other than bragging rights in a lot of cases, because a team will probably either have already made the playoffs by then or will already be out of it.

This could be prevented by limiting it to four teams, but at that point you'd still have at least one or two teams being left out.

The big question to me would be how all this would work without extending the football season into February, and how many fans would be able to keep going to all these games? Logistically I just don't see how it works unless college football is overhauled to where it doesn't resemble what we have now at all.
This is how it could work:
2011 FCS Tournament - NCAA.com

...although this is 16 teams...

Reduce that to 8 and we're in business!

Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 PM

3,458 posts, read 3,112,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
....what?

You guys still aren't answering anything. Just repeating what you hear from "experts" on ESPN.
This is called "projection", where you accuse me of something you know that you do.

Quote:
You're saying that there would be less national intrest?
No. Where did I say that?

Quote:
Then explain why there is more outcry for playoffs than this.
More outcry than what?

Quote:
A plus one wouldn't fix anything. Because what if you have THREE one-loss teams at the end of the bowls who are basically equal? What do you do?
You pick two of them.

Quote:
The best team in the country can play three more games against higher ranked opponents if they're truly the best team in the country. Just picking a team to go to NCG is an insult to fair competition. It's not truly left on the field, it's left in the hands of people with opinions, which is the point I don't think you guys are seeing.

I see the point, I just don't care about that. I like the regular season.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:35 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,247 posts, read 19,185,053 times
Quote:

First off, just using this year's NCG and season, conference titles are already meaningless, period. And I highly doubt teams would rest on rivalry games.

Second, you're just assuming that teams would slow down but still missing that there is no gauranteed spot. Again, 8 team playoff, 120 teams, YOU HAVE TO WIN EVERY GAME TO MAKE IT.

You'd start the playoffs right after the last game of the regular season, December. That's three weeks, so you'd be done with the meat of the tournament before January.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
This is called "projection", where you accuse me of something you know that you do.

No. Where did I say that?

More outcry than what?

You pick two of them.

I see the point, I just don't care about that. I like the regular season.
Keep in mind, I was speaking in general, not just to you. That's why I didn't quote anything.

And as for what I have in bold, I'm glad you're in the minority of what the country wants for College Football. No offense.

Oh, btw folks, we can have a National Championship tournament AND bowl games (for those who couldn't make it in). This would be football's equivalent to the NIT.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:41 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,112,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Keep in mind, I was speaking in general, not just to you. That's why I didn't quote anything.

And as for what I have in bold, I'm glad you're in the minority of what the country wants for College Football. No offense.
Fortunately, the people who run the show want what I want. CFB ain't a democracy.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Fortunately, the people who run the show want what I want. CFB ain't a democracy.
Yep. It's a dictatorship.

And I doubt it lasts forever.... BTW, no one so far has given any logical answer to how playoffs take away from the regular season.

All I'm seeing so far are just assumptions and the same b.s. I hear from some sports writers.

Last edited by JJG; 01-04-2012 at 08:58 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,380,639 times
I didn't say teams would slow down, I said that the end of season games would probably not affect a team's chances to play for the national title, because by that point they would probably already be in or they would already be out. Right now teams can't really afford to lose a game, if they do they have to hope some other people lose if they're going to get back in it.

It doesn't really matter since this is about as likely as all the fantasy conferences that people like to talk about. It's like the sports equivalent of arguing about whether Superman could beat up the Incredible Hulk.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:01 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Quote:
It's like the sports equivalent of arguing about whether Superman could beat up the Incredible Hulk.
exactly...

Old 01-04-2012, 10:02 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,375,913 times
As long as they do not allow too many teams into the playoffs, then the regular season will still be competitive. Plus the out of conference games should mean something. A stipulation allowing conferences to be ranked based on OOC game records when choosing which conference champ gets to go to the playoffs should handle that. I would have a four team playoff, but we would eliminate AQ conferences. OOC games scattered across the season would fit this picture well. But if there are going to be super conferences than OOC games may be pointless.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 01-04-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football