Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:53 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,811,136 times

Advertisements

Simple enough question right there.

You BCS defenders and anti-playoff people always tend to say it will, but never really explain why.

I'm assuming you think it'll be like college hoops? If so, you do realize it's two different sports with two extremely different ways of scheduling, right?

I don't get that at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:55 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,092,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Simple enough question right there.

You BCS defenders and anti-playoff people always tend to say it will, but never really explain why.

I'm assuming you think it'll be like college hoops? If so, you do realize it's two different sports with two extremely different ways of scheduling, right?

I don't get that at all.
Don't bother..they don't have an answer.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:10 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,612,723 times
Well, it depends on how many teams are in the playoff. Some sort of playoff that involves 4 teams or fewer wouldn't be a problem.

But say you have 8 or 16 teams, that's going to include 3-loss teams, right?

Well, you just nullified the value of those 3 regular season games. Playoffs make everyone 0-0 vis-a-vis the championship.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Well, it depends on how many teams are in the playoff. Some sort of playoff that involves 4 teams or fewer wouldn't be a problem.

But say you have 8 or 16 teams, that's going to include 3-loss teams, right?

Well, you just nullified the value of those 3 regular season games. Playoffs make everyone 0-0 vis-a-vis the championship.
What I have in bold is exactly what I'm talking about.... assumption.

You think having a maybe a few 3-loss teams is going to nullify value of some games?

THERE ARE OVER 120 TEAMS IN FBS. Even a 16 team playoff (which would be the max number of teams in a playoff considering how college football is today) wouldn't devalue anything. You still have to win your games to get in.

For example: An 8 team playoff would contain the top 8 teams in the nation. How many of those current 8 teams from this season have 3 losses? How many have more than one?

Seriously, what is it?

Old 01-03-2012, 04:25 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,612,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
What I have in bold is exactly what I'm talking about.... assumption.

You think having a maybe a few 3-loss teams is going to nullify value of some games?
yes.

Quote:
THERE ARE OVER 120 TEAMS IN FBS. Even a 16 team playoff (which would be the max number of teams in a playoff considering how college football is today) wouldn't devalue anything. You still have to win your games to get in.
Right. Then getting into the playoffs becomes an arbitrary cutoff, and everything between that line, and undefeated, becomes the same thing.

Quote:
For example: An 8 team playoff would contain the top 8 teams in the nation. How many of those current 8 teams from this season have 3 losses? How many have more than one?

Seriously, what is it?
I don't know, what is it? And what's so important about this year's poll?

Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,841,338 times
I guess you could tweak it to where a team would probably not qualify with three losses, but I think you would see a lot less national interest in late season games in a lot of cases.

A plus one would work a lot better---the season would more or less be as important as it is now, and it also would be easier from a logistical standpoint.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:23 PM

....what?

You guys still aren't answering anything. Just repeating what you hear from "experts" on ESPN.

You're saying that there would be less national intrest? Then explain why there is more outcry for playoffs than this. A plus one wouldn't fix anything. Because what if you have THREE one-loss teams at the end of the bowls who are basically equal? What do you do?

The best team in the country can play three more games against higher ranked opponents if they're truly the best team in the country. Just picking a team to go to NCG is an insult to fair competition. It's not truly left on the field, it's left in the hands of people with opinions, which is the point I don't think you guys are seeing.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:28 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,629,163 times
It doesnt. If that were the case, Alabama would not being playing LSU for the Nat'l Title.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,268,523 times
I like the idea of an 8 team playoff (or less)

16 or more... is just too many... and I too am concerned this many teams would devalue the regular season games

Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I like the idea of an 8 team playoff (or less)

16 or more... is just too many... and I too am concerned this many teams would devalue the regular season games
Personally, I'd say 8. At most 10. But I honestly don't see how it devaluates the regular season with playoffs in general, which is what I'm refering to.

We're ADDING three more schools to an already packed field of 120 FBS schools. An 8 team playoff wouldn't even be a quarter of that.

If we had playoffs, you really think teams would what slow down or something at the end of the season?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football