U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 10:18 PM

13,227 posts, read 18,011,820 times

Advertisements

Well this entire topic is full of people who have zero understanding of the demographic effects of a diaspora. On that note, I'm done here, because I'm obviously speaking over everybody's heads...well, except for the three people who gave me reputation points for my original post in this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,292,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Well this entire topic is full of people who have zero understanding of the demographic effects of a diaspora. On that note, I'm done here, because I'm obviously speaking over everybody's heads...well, except for the three people who gave me reputation points for my original post in this topic.
Congrats on taking a theory that has been going around on big 10 message board and turning it into your own that others can't comprehend.

As I said before let's assume you are right. All that does is explain why Big 10 is average. It doesn't help you any in the future.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,119,572 times
Quote:

Your theory partially explains the decline of the Big 10, sure, as the manufacturing economy there hollowed out as a source of mass employment.

It does not explain the rise of the SEC, though; in terms of population and economic growth, the west has grown faster than the south, but does not dominate college football like the south. I think you're overestimating the volume and the effects of migration to the south.

My belief is that the south has undergone dramatic social changes since the 1970's and 1980's, and that has led the south to better develop its tremendous talent pool of black athletes.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:41 AM

28,311 posts, read 26,341,527 times
Just look at many of the premium athletes in the League in recent years. Of course, other regions produce their fair share of talent as well, but there's no denying that the South is producing most of our explosive, "big name" talent (especially at the speed positions). The trend of people moving to the South has absolutely nothing to do with making Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson absolute beasts on the field.

Andre Johnson (FL)
Terrell Owens (AL)
Calvin Johnson (GA)
Chad Ochocinco (FL)
Dwayne Bowe (FL)
Frank Gore (FL)
Chris Johnson (FL)
Adrian Peterson (TX)
Matt Forte (LA)
Jamaal Charles (TX)
Darren McFadden (AR)
LaDainian Tomlinson (TX)
Devin Hester (FL)
Reggie Wayne (FL)
Mario Williams (NC)
Robert Mathis (GA)
DeMarcus Ware (AL)
Nick Fairley (AL)
Patrick Willis (TN)
Cam Newtown (GA)
Michael Vick (VA)
Julius Peppers (NC)
Justin Tuck (AL)
John Abraham (SC)
Nnadmi Asomugha (LA)
Carlos Rogers (GA)
Champ Bailey (GA)
Asante Samuel (FL)
D'Angelo Hall (VA)
Mike Wallace (LA)
Plaxico Burress (VA)
Hines Ward (GA)
Willis McGahee (FL)
Jamal Lewis (GA)
Clinton Portis (FL)
Shaun Alexander (KY)
Sean Taylor (FL)
Ray Lewis (FL)
Ed Reed (FL)
Antrel Rolle (FL)
Randy Moss (WV)
Santana Moss (FL)

Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 AM

What's also interesting is that Alabama and LSU are able to field vastly superior teams without having to recruit much beyond their region. If you look at Michigan's roster, they dip quite a bit into FL, GA and TX. That's pretty much telling you where the talent is.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/.../99/lsu-tigers

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...a-crimson-tide

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...gan-wolverines

Old 01-10-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
During the 1980's and 1990's, there was a significant displacement of football talent from the Northeast and Midwest to the South with all the families moving away. All the displaced kids that were born from the mid-1980's onward who probably would have played Big Ten football had they stayed would play SEC or ACC football instead, and would help enhance the already fertile recruiting grounds in the South.
Terrell Owens is from Alexander City, Alabama. Calvin Johnson is from Tyrone, Georgia. Michael Vick is from Newport News, Virginia. Justin Tuck is from Kellyton, Alabama. Trent Richardson is from Pensacola, FL. Adrian Peterson is from Palestine, Texas. Darren McFadden is from Little Rock, Arkansas. Based on what I could find on the Web, these are straight up country boys (can you get any more country than Randy Moss or T.O.?). There aren't too many families leaving Cleveland to move to Fort Myers, Florida. If you want to prove your theory, why don't you gather some evidence of players whose families migrated from the North to the South? Without even seeing the data, I can already tell you that those players constitute a tiny fraction of the players that come from the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or