U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:53 AM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,197,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
JJG... can your read man? Do you know the difference between a question and a statement?

I didnt annoint LSU anything. I asked a question. And I'm not discounting ANY great team! I dont know all the great teams because I am not 100 and I havent seen the old teams. That's why I ASKED if there were any other teams with better regular seasons... there may be, I just dont know of any. To beat 8 ranked teams and 8 bowl teams. And those teams were 6-1 in their bowl games! And you lose to other team who is the National Champions that you beat earlier... You don't just scrap their regular season. That's like saying Marino is not great because he doesnt have a super bowl. He was still great... LSU still had a great season.
Right. You asked if they were the greatest team ever. And I and several other answered.... you have to be UNDEFEATED to be considered the one of THE greatests.

I wrote the P.S. in terms of what everyone seems to do now-a-days. Yes, they had a great regular season. BUT, when you come into the Big Dance and you don't even bother to show up, then that perception is taken back a bit. We always keep talking about "eye tests" in college football and if last night was the only time you saw LSU, then you wouldn't think to calle them one of the all time greats.
Last night, we saw the equivalent of a student who makes A's all year, and then when the final exam comes, they bomb it and make an F, effecting their final grade... in a negative way.

And as for teams that were better than this year's LSU team, someone already posted a list. A few of those teams are in the same boat or don't come close, but there ya go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,612,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Georgia Southern scored 21 on them...just saying. Maybe the Eagle offense combined with LSU's D would have been more interesting.
Anything can happen in one game or in one stretch of one game. It was Alabama's worst game of the year defensively. And Georgia Southern opened up the Tide defense with option play, not passing, which is what Stanford and OSU are more geared toward. That's why LSU thought they were going to use that GS game as a model to approach the Tide defense, because having tried the vertical passing game -- as Arkansas, a much better passing team than LSU, did) and seeing the awful results of that, the Tigers had reason to believe that Jefferson could pose even more problems for the Tide. Didn't happen. The Tide stuffed it, and all they did was prove that their defense was as dominant the game as ever seen. They stop the run, they stop the pass. Even with the GS game, for the year, Alabama allowed an average of 9 points per game. That includes the overtime loss to LSU. And that average surely went down to about 8 or 7 points after last night's shutout.

I do think Stanford or OSU would score and move the ball better than LSU did. Oregon would not because they use running to set up passing, which the Tide proved to be completely ineffective against them last night and all season long. But Stanford would be the one team that might be able to make Alabama's defense move out of its comfort zone a little. However, that's only on offense and that's ignoring the fact that Alabama's offense can score points too. They're not as electric when they do it. They don't wow audience with four or five 75-yard pass plays in a game. They do it with a sledgehammer running attack. And it's every bit as effective when you look at the scoreboard.

Overall, on defense and offense, Alabama's style of play is reminiscent of how Julio Caesar Chavez use to win his boxing matches. For 8 or 9 rounds, you're watching a guy do nothing but punch the other guy in the guts. But by the time the 10th bell sounds, the opponent starts to slow down, starts to get battered with punches to the head because he's been worn the freak out by a relentless battering ram standing in front of him...before finally, THUNK! It's over. The opponent drops to the floor. That's what Alabama is. You don't jump out of your seats when you watch them for most of the contest, but when you look at the opponents body and face at the end of it all, when you look at the stat sheet, you see dominance.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:54 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,416,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Right. You asked if they were the greatest team ever. And I and several other answered.... you have to be UNDEFEATED to be considered the one of THE greatests.
This is what I stated and asked...

"This has to be the greatest resume for a season ever!
Can anyone argue for another team in history that had a better resume?"

So why do you continue to ignore the word "season" and "resume"? I have already stated several times that I did not ask if they were just the greatest team ever... it was just a title. And even if you wanna stick to the technicality that its in the title... I have clarified that I ONLY meant their regular schedule resume...

So I am still waiting for you to give me an example of a team with BETTER regular season schedule victories? No facts on their regular season victories were stated in the examples provided... So they are probably better teams but did they have better regular season resumes

You can't... thats why you continue to skate around that..

Old 01-10-2012, 12:00 PM
JJG

13,249 posts, read 19,197,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
This is what I stated and asked...

"This has to be the greatest resume for a season ever!
Can anyone argue for another team in history that had a better resume?"

So why do you continue to ignore the word "season" and "resume"? I have already stated several times that I did not ask if they were they just the greatest team ever... it was just a title. And even if you wanna stick to the technicality that its in the title... I have clarified that I ONLY meant their regular schedule resume...

So I am still waiting for you to give me an example of a team with BETTER regular season schedule victories?

You can't... thats why you continue to skate around that..
Skate around...? What the hell are you talking about? I've said a couple times that they had a great season. Just didn't end well.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:29 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,416,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Skate around...? What the hell are you talking about? I've said a couple times that they had a great season. Just didn't end well.

I didnt see where you said that? You must not have quoted me when you said that... so how would i know? I dont read all the post on here.

bottomline is you know what I meant... if you didnt, I clarified. And you continued to argue about what I didnt mean.

so can we atleast have the same convo? I have no problem debating back and forth with you but lets atleast be on the same subject...

Old 01-10-2012, 12:46 PM

5,631 posts, read 4,229,357 times
Well, if you want to talk about resume's I personally think the conversion begins and ends with the 1899 Sewanee Tigers
Here is their resume;

1899: Sewanee 12-0

Oct. 21 Sewanee 12 @Georgia 0
Oct. 23 Sewanee 32 @Georgia Tech 0
Oct. 28 Sewanee 46 Tennessee 0
Nov. 3 Sewanee 54 Southwestern 0
Nov. 9 Sewanee 12 @Texas 0
Nov. 10 Sewanee 10 @Texas A&M 0
Nov. 11 Sewanee 23 @Tulane 0
Nov. 13 Sewanee 34 @LSU 0
Nov. 14 Sewanee 12 @Ole Miss 0
Nov. 20 Sewanee 71 Cumberland 0
Nov. 30 Sewanee 11 @Auburn 10
Dec. 2 Sewanee 5 @North Carolina 0

Notice the mid season run of 5 wins all by shutout in 6 DAYS vs power house teams!
IMO, this is the best resume in college football history... best team? probably not butt best resume, no doubt!

Old 01-15-2012, 06:25 PM

358 posts, read 592,317 times
No. Maybe the most overacheiving team ever. But not the greatest. Not even close.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 PM

18,653 posts, read 27,092,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
2009 Longhorns? They got blasted by 'Bama in the CG, and they played a weak schedule (as usual). They blew out the scrubs that year, and barely squeaked by the ranked teams they played. They don't deserve to be on that list
Blasted? Hardly. The game wasnt in doubt until 6 minutes to go in the fourth with a true freshman QB who later turned out to be a bust playing most of the game.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:02 AM

8,401 posts, read 8,390,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The 2001 Canes, 1995 Huskers, 2005 Horns, and 2004 Trojan were all better.
This of course is the correct answer.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:47 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,439,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
I think LSU needs to change QBs.
I called this before halftime.

Why did Miles stick with Jefferson?

He cost them a chance to stay in the game as Jefferson was hurting his time while Lee was standing on one foot at a time.

I used to have a ton of respect for Miles but I lost it all when he did not adjust to give his team a chance in the second half.

Saban simply out coached Miles in every aspect of this game.

I have a feeling that LSU thought they were just going to walk in and take the trophy without a game. Same thought as the OP here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football