Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
As bad as the LSU offense was last night, the OSU defense is just even worse. LSU would beat OSU.
I feel pretty confident about that, too. LSU's defense is not what lost that game last night. Despite being pinned in their own half for 3/4 of that game they still held the Tide to field goals only. You could see that LSU's defense was looking for that one play that might reverse the tables but they just couldn't find it. McCarron played his @ss off. And the strategy of using Richardson late was brilliant. Saban kept him fresh and used the running attack as a battering ram against a worn out defense that should never been put in that position.

But against any other team? Pfff...just consider that Oregon, Arkansas and Georgia all had pretty solid offensive attacks going into their games against LSU, and all got dominated. I don't see what makes OSU so special. Better than Georgia probably, and probably a little better than Arkansas, but statistically, OSU's no better than Oregon. And LSU's strength is actually their secondary, so any notions that OSU would cruise through them are deluded.

I know people are thinking "Yeah well who woulda thought Alabama would do that to LSU -- see?!?!"

Anyone who saw that first game knew that it was a strong possibility that Alabama could win a low scoring game like that. It's true that probably nobody saw Alabama winning 21-0. But the game didn't get quite that ugly until late. Point is, point spread aside, this game was really not a surprise. It's a surprise only to those who don't really follow or seem to understand SEC football.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:35 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,889,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Maybe if you guys stop crying long enough, your teams could compete for BCS titles, rather than complaining about the current system.
Again... DON'T F*CKIN' FLATTER YOURSELF.

I'd hate it if the Big X(II) won 6 straight. I'd hate it if the B1G won 6 straight. I'd hate it if the ACC kept getting in. Hell, even if these NON-AQ schools constantly won the national championship, it still would be a courupt system based on opinions and 'style points'.

By all means, say what ever ya want to stroke your egos. You TeamSEC people can do that all you want. But like I said before, this is much, MUCH bigger than you.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:39 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,150,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I feel pretty confident about that, too. LSU's defense is not what lost that game last night. Despite being pinned in their own half for 3/4 of that game they still held the Tide to field goals only. You could see that LSU's defense was looking for that one play that might reverse the tables but they just couldn't find it. McCarron played his @ss off. And the strategy of using Richardson late was brilliant. Saban kept him fresh and used the running attack as a battering ram against a worn out defense that should never been put in that position.

But against any other team? Pfff...just consider that Oregon, Arkansas and Georgia all had pretty solid offensive attacks going into their games against LSU, and all got dominated. I don't see what makes OSU so special. Better than Georgia probably, and probably a little better than Arkansas, but statistically, OSU's no better than Oregon. And LSU's strength is actually their secondary, so any notions that OSU would cruise through them are deluded.

I know people are thinking "Yeah well who woulda thought Alabama would do that to LSU -- see?!?!"

Anyone who saw that first game knew that it was a strong possibility that Alabama could win a low scoring game like that. It's true that probably nobody saw Alabama winning 21-0. But the game didn't get quite that ugly until late. Point is, point spread aside, this game was really not a surprise. It's a surprise only to those who don't really follow or seem to understand SEC football.
Hey maybe LSU didnt belong in the title game ?? Since we are going on assumptions anyway in looking back LSU might have been well a bad choice. Its SINFUL another 1 loss team did not have a chance...hahaha...college football is a complete laughingstock now. Even the hardliners for the sport know it....change is a comin!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 AM

8 posts, read 8,413 times
I watched maybe 10 min total of this game. When I checked in the third quarter they were showing the "good hands" play of the game....It consisted of a hold for a field goal.....nuff said

Old 01-10-2012, 10:52 AM

8,801 posts, read 10,235,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

I'd hate it if the Big X(II) won 6 straight. I'd hate it if the B1G won 6 straight. I'd hate it if the ACC kept getting in. Hell, even if these NON-AQ schools constantly won the national championship, it still would be a courupt system based on opinions and 'style points'.

By all means, say what ever ya want to stroke your egos. You TeamSEC people can do that all you want. But like I said before, this is much, MUCH bigger than you.
Word dude. These SEC homers are one of a kind.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Fine. The system sucks. We know that.

Why watch if you're so convinced it's corrupt and so angry about it. Just stop watching. That will actually have a more immediate impact than insisting that the team that won using the only available system is not, in fact, the champion. That's actually the most illogical aspect of this discussion when you think about it.

Nobody in SEC-land likes the system any better. If we're over-reacting or reacting to anything it's just a reaction to the obvious spite and the over-the-top comments that seem to de-legitimize the winning teams. I think the overwhelming majority of LSU and Alabama fans would prefer a playoff. But this is the system that's out there, and those rules and its quirks are known to every team that plays in the BCS system.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Hey maybe LSU didnt belong in the title game ?? Since we are going on assumptions anyway in looking back LSU might have been well a bad choice. Its SINFUL another 1 loss team did not have a chance...hahaha...college football is a complete laughingstock now. Even the hardliners for the sport know it....change is a comin!
I hope change is coming. We need it. Would give more teams a chance to compete. There have been several years when I've thought LSU could have had a shot as a number 8 seed against one of the other top two teams in the BCS game. Didn't happen. I didn't go on to city-data to cry about it and claim that the BCS winner wasn't the champion.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by University of SEC View Post
I watched maybe 10 min total of this game. When I checked in the third quarter they were showing the "good hands" play of the game....It consisted of a hold for a field goal.....nuff said

We're not amused - YouTube

Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Fine. The system sucks. We know that.

Why watch if you're so convinced it's corrupt and so angry about it. Just stop watching. That will actually have a more immediate impact than insisting that the team that won using the only available system is not, in fact, the champion. That's actually the most illogical aspect of this discussion when you think about it.
I DIDN'T WATCH

lol

Where've you been?

Quote:
Nobody in SEC-land likes the system any better. If we're over-reacting or reacting to anything it's just a reaction to the obvious spite and the over-the-top comments that seem to de-legitimize the winning teams. I think the overwhelming majority of LSU and Alabama fans would prefer a playoff. But this is the system that's out there, and those rules and its quirks are known to every team that plays in the BCS system.
I really hope you're telling the truth, because just going by internet alone (and some of your own comments) SEC-land seems fine with the way things are.

That said, I guess since there really aren't too many people who do support the BCS, but it seems the overwhelming majority is in the southeast.

Just sayin....

Old 01-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I DIDN'T WATCHI really hope you're telling the truth, because just going by internet alone (and some of your own comments) SEC-land seems fine with the way things are.

That said, I guess since there really aren't too many people who do support the BCS, but it seems the overwhelming majority is in the southeast.

Just sayin....
Nobody in the Southeast is "fine" with the SEC. What they're 'fine' with is that their conference keeps proving itself to be unquestionably successful against other conferences, particularly at the top end, if not always so throughout the entire league. People are just proud of the fact that their teams are successful. I don't really love Alabama to tell the truth and I certainly wasn't chanting S-E-C! last night. The only thing I have been pointing out and reacting to is that Alabama, in my view anyway, is certainly a deserving champion, based on the only system we have in place right now at this time. I have little doubt that if OSU, OU, and Texas were racking up championships or if Pac 12 schools were, fans in those conferences would be doing much the same. It's just pride in knowing that your football programs are competitive and successful. It's not love for this god-awful system that everyone knows can be improved. Most LSU and Alabama fans are confident that their teams would have proven themselves to be the 1 and 2 teams in any format. Whether this actually would have played out that way, obviously, no one can ever truly know what will actually happen in a game. But it's not a defense of the current system; it's pride in knowing that our teams have been pretty much the most successful over the past few years, and confident in the belief that we could prove it in a playoff format if we had had such a system.

In short, Alabama and LSU fans probably would welcome a playoff format or a plus one format. Our fan bases would actually welcome nothing more than the opportunity to show, once and for all, as the SEC teams often do when they play BCS opponents in other conferences, that we can be successful in big games. Most Alabama and LSU fans and other fans of SEC teams are confident that in most of the past years in which the SEC teams have won titles, a playoff format would have still produced the same results. I'm sure that there would have been an upset or a different result in one of those years, but on the whole, I think we just feel that the results would have been the same. Unfortunately, the rules don't permit anything different, so there's no other alternative than to accept what we now have. What are fans supposed to do -- not cheer and not boast about their success? Are Texas fans not supposed to feel good about their 2005 title? This is what we have. And all teams know the ground rules, however tricky they are, coming into the season. Since this is what we have, we accept it.

Last edited by chickenfriedbananas; 01-10-2012 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football