Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:27 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Nobody in the Southeast is "fine" with the SEC. What they're 'fine' with is that their conference keeps proving itself to be unquestionably successful against other conferences, particularly at the top end, if not always so throughout the entire league. People are just proud of the fact that their teams are successful. I don't really love Alabama to tell the truth and I certainly wasn't chanting S-E-C! last night. The only thing I have been pointing out and reacting to is that Alabama, in my view anyway, is certainly a deserving champion, based on the only system we have in place right now at this time. I have little doubt that if OSU, OU, and Texas were racking up championships or if Pac 12 schools were, fans in those conferences would be doing much the same. It's just pride in knowing that your football programs are competitive and successful. It's not love for this god-awful system that everyone knows can be improved. Most LSU and Alabama fans are confident that their teams would have proven themselves to be the 1 and 2 teams in any format. Whether this actually would have played out that way, obviously, no one can ever truly know what will actually happen in a game. But it's not a defense of the current system; it's pride in knowing that our teams have been pretty much the most successful over the past few years, and confident in the belief that we could prove it in a playoff format if we had had such a system.
If OSU had been selected to play in the BCS game, then they would have won the title by default. That is because LSU would have been so intimidated that they wouldn't have even bothered to show up.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:28 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Nobody in the Southeast is "fine" with the SEC. What they're 'fine' with is that their conference keeps proving itself to be unquestionably successful against other conferences, particularly at the top end, if not always so throughout the entire league. People are just proud of the fact that their teams are successful. I don't really love Alabama to tell the truth and I certainly wasn't chanting S-E-C! last night. The only thing I have been pointing out and reacting to is that Alabama, in my view anyway, is certainly a deserving champion, based on the only system we have in place right now at this time. I have little doubt that if OSU, OU, and Texas were racking up championships or if Pac 12 schools were, fans in those conferences would be doing much the same. It's just pride in knowing that your football programs are competitive and successful. It's not love for this god-awful system that everyone knows can be improved. Most LSU and Alabama fans are confident that their teams would have proven themselves to be the 1 and 2 teams in any format. Whether this actually would have played out that way, obviously, no one can ever truly know what will actually happen in a game. But it's not a defense of the current system; it's pride in knowing that our teams have been pretty much the most successful over the past few years, and confident in the belief that we could prove it in a playoff format if we had had such a system.
Nobody? Really don't believe ya, but whatever.

Like I said before, things change. And they will change... sooner or later.

And I have a feeling when these tv ratings come out, it'll be MUCH sooner than later.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:16 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
I hope change is coming. We need it. Would give more teams a chance to compete. There have been several years when I've thought LSU could have had a shot as a number 8 seed against one of the other top two teams in the BCS game. Didn't happen. I didn't go on to city-data to cry about it and claim that the BCS winner wasn't the champion.
I'm glad you at least want a playoff.. hopefully it will happen someday.

Well, adieu college football fans.If there is no playoff system again next year I'll be back making fun of the system...hahhaah....what a joke! BCS idiocy.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:00 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I casually watched but it was boring. Jefferson should take a public flogging. Its a fraud with this BS system that OSU didnt get a shot. You should win your conference to play for the title.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Its a fraud with this BS system that OSU didnt get a shot. You should win your conference to play for the title.
No, it's not. OSU lost to an unranked team. Alabama lost to the No. 1 team. End of discussion.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
The SEC champ sure looked like crap last night. I could only imagine the frothing at the mouth of sec fans if LSU happened to have been from a different power conference. "you couldn't even score a single point against the mighty sec!!" Goes to show, an SEC team can lay an egg in title games too.

LOL@ lsu.

Congrats to 'Bama.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 01-10-2012 at 01:43 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 01:35 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Yep, an SEC team finally lost in the BCS championship game..
of course it took an SEC team to do it..

Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Yep, an SEC team finally lost in the BCS championship game..
of course it took an SEC team to do it..
OSU could have beaten both teams at the same time...22 against 11.

The Big 12 is a much better conference than the SEC. That's why Big 12 teams have a record of kicking the SEC's butt in BCS Title games. When it's the Big 12's best against the SEC's best, not only does the Big 12 win, but it wins BIG.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:47 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
OSU could have beaten both teams at the same time...22 against 11.

The Big 12 is a much better conference than the SEC. That's why Big 12 teams have a record of kicking the SEC's butt in BCS Title games. When it's the Big 12's best against the SEC's best, not only does the Big 12 win, but it wins BIG.
NO doubt!

Old 01-10-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
NO doubt!
Just look at the Big 12's matchups against the SEC in BCS Title games...

Oklahoma 37
Alabama 14

Oklahoma 24
Florida 14

Oklahoma 21
LSU 14

Now tell me why OSU wouldn't get a shot at the national title based on the Big 12's track record against the SEC in title games?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football