U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:12 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,949,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
I'm not a wvu fan so you won't hurt my feelings, but they have knocked off the SEC champion, the B12 champion, and the ACC champion in BCS games since the last time they played Miami..
Sure let's talk bowls besides those 3 wins...
WVU missed bowls in 99 and 01. Since 2000, they have lost 4 of their bowls to ACC teams vs the 3 they won.
2000 - Virginia 48 - WVU 22
2003 - Maryland 41 - WVU 7
2004 - FSU 30 - WVU 18
2009 - FSU 33 - WVU 21
Boy those are some competitive games vs the 4 points (total) that they won against UNC and GT... So one impressive win against an exposed Clemson offense (see NC St) and their total lack of defense that was all year. Oh Noes Kevin Steele gone missin'

Quote:
VT's record since 87? how is 87 any more relevant than 1962 or even 1919?
For one, there are more schools competiting in more games per year. To bring it more relevant... the start of the BCS (1998), VT has won 6 of the 8 meetings. Feel any better?

Quote:
on to your last point..
Pitt has 9 national championships. Only two recognized by the AP.
Would you say they are a better program than Miami and FSU combined?
Pitt Football program started in 1890.
Miami Football program started in 1926. Pitt had 3 of 9 championships at this point.
FSU Football program started in 1947. Pitt had 8 of 9 championships at this point.

When we were kids in pee wee football, we played our games and thought we were great. You move up to middle school and start to play other teams and you lost some since there were more games against more teams. Then you move up into High School where there were more teams and it started to become tougher to win those games. This story is in reference to those pre 1920 crew i.e. Pitt, Yale, Harvard, etc. Once the other teams started entering the college football field, you notice those guys dropping off. A few came out ok i.e. Alabama, ND, Michigan; others not so well i.e. Penn, Princeton, etc.

Beyond that, the rules have changed dramatically. This is why I focus more on around the time when the first national championship game was.

Quote:
or does your NC argument quit working when you don't like what it says anymore?
They didn't play in a championship game to win theirs. Oh and I added a line to your quote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 03:36 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,153,662 times
I can tell you are a big ACC fan, by all accounts. thats great and I do hope those former powers like Pitt, Miami, FSU, and Clemson can turn it around. I too am an ACC fan now so I'm not going no nitpick a stat here, a game there, to try to make a point thats not really there..
(or i would tell you how wake forest is clearly a better program today than FSU, hence their 4-2 record over the past 6 years).

Snd i do hate wvu, but they have clearly had a better run than any acc team, and thats a fact. I'm a pitt fan like I said, and we all hate WVU. Doesn't change the facts.

Speaking of which, before you say it..i know pitt has sucked, and their championships are old..

but they still put better players over the last 30 years (after the last NC) in the NFL than any team not named USC or Miami.

hopefully Pitt, the new ACC leader in Nation Championships, All-Americans, NFL Hall of Famers, and College Football Hall of Famers can turn it around on the field with this new coach of theirs now that the Big East monkey is off the back in recruiting.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:01 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,416,856 times
Quote:
but they still put better players over the last 30 years (after the last NC) in the NFL than any team not named USC or Miami.

I know you all are having an ACC debate... but dont lose site now.

Marino, Revis, Fitzgerald, and McCoy don't trump what the major SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12 schools have put in the league in the past 30 years...

Old 01-13-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I know you all are having an ACC debate... but dont lose site now.

Marino, Revis, Fitzgerald, and McCoy don't trump what the major SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and Pac 12 schools have put in the league in the past 30 years...
They do when you add a few hall of famers beyond them. top 5 all time rusher curtis martin. 3rd all time sacker chris doleman. A whoswho hall of fame/multiple pro bowl offensive line bill fralic/russ grim/jimbo covert/mark may/ruben brown(10 pro bowls wow)/ mark stepnoski just to name a few. Hall of fame lb ricky jackson. Even right now you can say pitt has the best player in the league at 4 different positions(andy lee ftw). Not many othersif any, can say that and actually have a case. I can. We even have our own home improvement show with sirigusa.

Anyway im rambling, wasn't an opinion anyway..espn did the survey using actual performance and numbers, not preconceived bias(which in all fairness, I knew someone would come at me with,ty). Just google espn pipeline to the nfl you will find it. Fsu was strong too, 4th just behind the panthers.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
They do when you add a few hall of famers beyond them. top 5 all time rusher curtis martin. 3rd all time sacker chris doleman. A whoswho hall of fame/multiple pro bowl offensive line bill fralic/russ grim/jimbo covert/mark may/ruben brown(10 pro bowls wow)/ mark stepnoski just to name a few. Hall of fame lb ricky jackson. Even right now you can say pitt has the best player in the league at 4 different positions(andy lee ftw). Not many othersif any, can say that and actually have a case. I can. We even have our own home improvement show with sirigusa.

Anyway im rambling, wasn't an opinion anyway..espn did the survey using actual performance and numbers, not preconceived bias(which in all fairness, I knew someone would come at me with,ty). Just google espn pipeline to the nfl you will find it. Fsu was strong too, 4th just behind the panthers.

When u are explaining... U are losing.

Miami, USC cranking out NFL players - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

NFL Network's Top Ten Football Factories
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles...ball-factories

Pitt is not on any of these list...

Enough said.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
When u are explaining... U are losing.

Miami, USC cranking out NFL players - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

NFL Network's Top Ten Football Factories
Top 10 "Football Factories" | Bleacher Report

Pitt is not on any of these list...

Enough said.
When you dodge or ignore every fact, and come back with

1. a list that has no relevance (i.e. first one clearly explains who had the MOST players drafted in the past 10 years, i clearly said the best players in the past 30..anyone can fill practice squads)

which way is better? you decide.

lets look at your sooners, my panthers, and the 2005 draft as an example.
you(and your list) think oklahoma did better because they had 3 wr drafted.
i (and most sane people) would prefer just 1 wr if that wr was larry fitzgerald.

if you would like me to compare stats for those 3 oklahoma receivers combined, vs larry fitzgerald i would do that. i know he has at least 50 more TDS than those 3 put together but hey, who likes greatplayers we just want a lot of crappy ones right?

2. a list that researched exactly 7 of the 120 team..

i realize that you know you have lost the argument and are just spouting nonsense to get your post count up but figured i'd respond anyway.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 PM

16,532 posts, read 21,000,381 times
Quote:

i realize that you know you have lost the argument and are just spouting nonsense to get your post count up but figured i'd respond anyway.
Um, gentlemen I'd really like NOT to close this thread. We can do better here.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
lets look at your sooners
I realize u are new to the CF threads but at least read them... I hate Oklahoma or anything Big 12. so you have me mistaken... I'm a Vol and SEC guy. Which I know you don't wanna compare Pitt players with in the last 30 years to my Vols or any of the powers in the SEC.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:47 PM

8,405 posts, read 8,395,604 times
Quote:
I realize u are new to the CF threads but at least read them... I hate Oklahoma or anything Big 12. so you have me mistaken... I'm a Vol and SEC guy. Which I know you don't wanna compare Pitt players with in the last 30 years to my Vols or any of the powers in the SEC.
Ah, that other UT.

BTW - Is the Simms kid still on the Vols?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
BTW - Is the Simms kid still on the Vols?

He's done... out of his misery finally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football