U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 11:25 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,418,632 times

Advertisements

How would you rank major football conference?

Here's mine...

1) SEC - I rank them one not only because of the recent success but they also have the most talent and the best fans. And all of their programs have had success at some point except Vandy.

2) BIG 8/12/SWC - I rank them second because they have great talent... great tradition. They also have loyal fans and cool rivalries. Although Nebraska was my fav and they left. The conference has held it together despite losing 4 schools in 2 years. Not sure how many other conferences could do that.

3) BIG 10 - As much as I hate to say it they have a lot of great tradition. However most of it is from the past. They also have the greatest rivalry in college football so that has to account for something. Their fanbases are huge too. Once the programs get better they compete again for the top spots.

3) PAC 10/12 - They have had a lot of success in the past... but lets be honest this conference is all USC. They live and die by what that program does. I know Oregon is on the rise and Washington won a title but a conference can't be that great if only one team has 99% of the success and tradition.

4) ACC - A conference on the rise possibly. They have teams in that have some tradition and success but they have not proven to be the powerhouses against the other conferences have year in and year out. Their dismal record in BCS games is proof of that.

5) Big East - When Miami and VA Tech were there they had a chance to be in title games every year. And Now with WVU, Cuse, & Pitt leaving they are regulated to being a basketball school with no football tradition. Boise will bring some excitement to the conference but its just a brief stop for Boise before a better conference comes calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 11:39 AM

28,312 posts, read 26,328,326 times
1. Big 10
2. Big 10
3. Big 12
4. Big 10
5. Pac 10
6. SEC

Old 01-11-2012, 11:56 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,819,475 times
1. SEC
2. B1G Ten
3. Pac-12
4. Big 12
5. ACC
6. Big East

Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,385,936 times
1. SEC
2. Big 12
3. Pac 12
4. Big 10
5. ACC
6. Big East

I only have a hair's difference between the Pac 12 and Big 10, but I had to rank the Pac 12 higher because they've had more of an impact in recent years.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:20 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,817,146 times
1. SEC. Right now, it's not even close. Three teams in the final top 5, four in the final top 10 and five in the top twenty. 6-3 in bowls (But one of those losses was LSU losing to Alabama).

2. Pac-12
3. Big 12
4. Big 10
5. Big East
6. ACC

Old 01-11-2012, 12:28 PM

8,746 posts, read 7,751,642 times
1. SEC
2. Big 12
3. Pac 12
4. Big 10
5. ACC
6. Big East

Old 01-11-2012, 12:36 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,950,960 times
SEC
Big 12... well 8
Pac 2 (USC/Oregon)
ACC
Big East (updated version)
Big 10 - tradition sure but top programs on the downfall i.e. Ohio St, Penn St, etc.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:41 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,418,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
SEC
Big 12... well 8
Pac 2 (USC/Oregon)
ACC
Big East (updated version)
Big 10 - tradition sure but top programs on the downfall i.e. Ohio St, Penn St, etc.
wow that seems harsh... ACC & Big East are better than the Big 10?

LOL @ the PAC 2 though... good one!

Old 01-11-2012, 01:41 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,950,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
wow that seems harsh... ACC & Big East are better than the Big 10?
Yep.

Big 10 this year...
- Wisconsin - lost only key OOC team (Oregon)
- Penn St - never was in Alabama game and got smoked by CUSA team
- Purdon't - lost only key OOC team (Notre Dame)
- Ohio St - couldn't beat an ACC team (Miami) and lost their bowl matchup
- Indiana - couldn't beat an ACC team (Virginia)
- Mich St - lost to Notre Dame and escape Georgia in 3OT (so first quality OOC win for the conference)
- Mich - beat Notre Dame and beat VT by refs reversing a catch for a touchdown (that was a catch i.e. screw job)
- Nebraska - beat Washington (no defense team) and got spanked by South Carolina
- Iowa - lost to their rival (*chuckle*) and got spanked by Oklahoma
- NW - got a true win over the bottomfeeder of the ACC (who potential could have tied the game had they not false started in the red zone eating precious seconds) and got beat by 11 (Texas A&M)

So in all...
- 2 lost to Notre Dame - the same team FSU beat in their bowl.
- ACC to Big 10 matchups: 2-2... if refs didn't change outcome, 3-1
- Big 10 Key OCC: 4-11

Going into next season... Wisconsin loses Wilson (the guy that took them to the next level). Mich St loses Cousins (the main guy on offense who holds all their QB records). Mich most likely loses Robinson (the only reason for Michigan success). Those are the Big 10 top 3 teams who will be loses huge factors in their success on offense.

ACC on the other hand returns most of their impact players so teams if anything will look a lot better than they did this year.

Now to the Big East, the new version of it will contain all the good midmajors. This will make the conference that much better from what looked like West Virginia and the nobodys for these past so many years since Miami, VT, and BC left for the ACC. This is why I used the notes to say the updated version. I feel this new conference on paper will be better than the Big 10.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:52 PM

52,114 posts, read 41,928,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
How would you rank major football conference?

Here's mine...

1) SEC - I rank them one not only because of the recent success but they also have the most talent and the best fans. And all of their programs have had success at some point except Vandy.

2) BIG 8/12/SWC - I rank them second because they have great talent... great tradition. They also have loyal fans and cool rivalries. Although Nebraska was my fav and they left. The conference has held it together despite losing 4 schools in 2 years. Not sure how many other conferences could do that.

3) BIG 10 - As much as I hate to say it they have a lot of great tradition. However most of it is from the past. They also have the greatest rivalry in college football so that has to account for something. Their fanbases are huge too. Once the programs get better they compete again for the top spots.

3) PAC 10/12 - They have had a lot of success in the past... but lets be honest this conference is all USC. They live and die by what that program does. I know Oregon is on the rise and Washington won a title but a conference can't be that great if only one team has 99% of the success and tradition.

4) ACC - A conference on the rise possibly. They have teams in that have some tradition and success but they have not proven to be the powerhouses against the other conferences have year in and year out. Their dismal record in BCS games is proof of that.

5) Big East - When Miami and VA Tech were there they had a chance to be in title games every year. And Now with WVU, Cuse, & Pitt leaving they are regulated to being a basketball school with no football tradition. Boise will bring some excitement to the conference but its just a brief stop for Boise before a better conference comes calling.
Heh. Crummy vandy. That's what they get for actually being a quality college instead of turning out future cosmetologists, correctional officers and personal trainers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football