U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,804,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
I'm hearing Thomas Johnson just may be heading off to College Station come Wednesday- LOL if true. I've also heard though, Oregon just may steal Bralon Addison from A&M- FWIW, I'd rather have Johnson, but like Addison too.
As expected, Addison flipped to the Ducks. A&M was pretty steamed from what I have heard. Oh well. UT got a fast LB in Bryce Cottrell. We knew he was wavering as he has a girlfriend who I think plays or is going to play soccer at UT. Come on Texas, do your own recruiting-

Kid is only a 3 star (but star ratings are way overrated), but the kid plays up in the Metroplex at Plano West, so you know he can play. Here are his highlights if you haven't had time to check him out (as he was firm to the Ducks for many months)

bryce cottrell senior highlight - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 AM

4,267 posts, read 1,233,334 times
Haven't visited this thread in a while, but figured I'd respond.

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard a few things. I'm not going to lie and say that I am all that confident he is staying because he wants to. I have heard a few things and one of them is that the university did not budge at all in regards to his 4 million dollar buyout and the Bucs did not agree to pay it. I also heard that the university stuck to their guns regarding a 15 day notice clause that Tampa Bay was not happy with. If that is the case, it sure doesn't inspire confidence in a Duck alum, such as myself, that he is here for the right reasons.

I beleive Oregon was ready to interview Petersen today. I do think that we would have been able to get Chris Petersen if Chip di leave.

I think Knight will open up the checkbook only if there is a massive buyout clause. Otherwise, I think we will now design a contingency plan with Chris Petersen as the heir apparent (not a coach in waiting though- very hush hush). What people do not realize is how close of friends Kilkenny and Knight are with Petersen. And his contract had a clause in it that specifically stated that he could go to Oregon without a buyout.

We'll see though.
Don't get me wrong, I love Chipper, but if Oregon got Peterson, they'd be getting an even better offensive mind, and I think the recruits they get would be even better than the ones they're getting now. I like Peterson's style of offense better than Kelly's. I think Kelly's is a 'safer' version of the spread, but Peterson takes risks in the air and makes it work. He just gets guys who can execute on offense, pass or run. I think Oregon's offense tends to rely on the run a little too much. What Oregon does, they do extremely well, but if you get a team that can load the box, they have trouble, I think. I don't think this is just personnel, either, but style of play and coaching. Maybe Kelly will eventually get a more vertical offense over time and I'm just reacting to what I've seen so far, but that's my take.

Either way, I think Oregon's in good hands if they can either keep Kelly or get a high profile coach like Peterson to replace him. Duck football is on the map now, and I think it's here to stay.

Re other recruiting,

As expected, I think the national title game really gave Alabama a huge boost in the final weeks of the recruiting year. They're reloading. I wouldn't be surprised to see Alabama win three of the next five BCS titles. They're just building that kind of program right now, and unless other big name programs have their sh*t together, they're going to be awfully hard to dethrone. I was hoping LSU would be able to compete, but I'm not even sure that they're the second best recruiting class in the SEC at this point. Florida and Georgia scored pretty well, too. Now it's not clear if Florida's coaching staff knows how to use this talent, but Mark Richt and Georgia definitely can make use of theirs, and the Bulldogs might actually be a sleeper team next year.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Haven't visited this thread in a while, but figured I'd respond.

Don't get me wrong, I love Chipper, but if Oregon got Peterson, they'd be getting an even better offensive mind, and I think the recruits they get would be even better than the ones they're getting now. I like Peterson's style of offense better than Kelly's. I think Kelly's is a 'safer' version of the spread, but Peterson takes risks in the air and makes it work. He just gets guys who can execute on offense, pass or run. I think Oregon's offense tends to rely on the run a little too much. What Oregon does, they do extremely well, but if you get a team that can load the box, they have trouble, I think. I don't think this is just personnel, either, but style of play and coaching. Maybe Kelly will eventually get a more vertical offense over time and I'm just reacting to what I've seen so far, but that's my take.

Either way, I think Oregon's in good hands if they can either keep Kelly or get a high profile coach like Peterson to replace him. Duck football is on the map now, and I think it's here to stay.

Re other recruiting,

As expected, I think the national title game really gave Alabama a huge boost in the final weeks of the recruiting year. They're reloading. I wouldn't be surprised to see Alabama win three of the next five BCS titles. They're just building that kind of program right now, and unless other big name programs have their sh*t together, they're going to be awfully hard to dethrone. I was hoping LSU would be able to compete, but I'm not even sure that they're the second best recruiting class in the SEC at this point. Florida and Georgia scored pretty well, too. Now it's not clear if Florida's coaching staff knows how to use this talent, but Mark Richt and Georgia definitely can make use of theirs, and the Bulldogs might actually be a sleeper team next year.
Petersen is a fantastic coach without a doubt. And BSU has been a better passing team. But, Kelly has said numerous times, I use what I have. Darron Thomas, although an accurate passer, was not all that accurate down the field in comparison to Moore. Plus, look at the Ducks receivers the last few years- Maehl was the best and he was not a downfield threat. The others were slow and at times, stonehands. So, we developed our running game and developed it really well because our backs produce.

Now, take a look at the QBs we have in the bullpen- Bryan Bennett, Marcus Mariota, and Jake Rodrigues all can run better than Thomas and from what I have seen, pass better than DT too. Hopefully, that will open a lot up. Plus, we pulled in a grip of big receivers to go along with our young speedsters. I think it is possible to see an even better offense this year. So, we'll see how the offense develops. But, yeah, I would have been pleased with Petersen for sure.

But, watch for us to continue to run that pigskin with even more reinforcements this year- Byron Marshall and Bralon Addison are going to be lethal for us.

This year the rich got richer again. I was surprised to see so many Pac-10 teams in the top 25 on many of the rankings- SC, Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, and UW all had impressive hauls. But, Bama's list was simply insane.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 PM

3,805 posts, read 2,917,794 times
Quote:
But, Bama's list was simply insane.
Because Nick Saban is a ****ing prick.

"For years, Saban has treated college football like a cutthroat business. He's skirted recruiting rules, danced around scholarship limitations and been surrounded by more career ending injuries to third-string players than any coach in the history of organized athletics."

Commentary: Chizik's classiness shows up Saban | The Montgomery Advertiser | montgomeryadvertiser.com

Seriously. **** that guy.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post

"For years, Saban has treated college football like a cutthroat business. He's skirted recruiting rules, danced around scholarship limitations and been surrounded by more career ending injuries to third-string players than any coach in the history of organized athletics."

Commentary: Chizik's classiness shows up Saban | The Montgomery Advertiser | montgomeryadvertiser.com

Preaching to this Pac-10 choir for sure brother.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 PM

6,025 posts, read 5,023,253 times
This guy sure has his priorities in order

Cassanova McKinzy spurned Clemson because he missed the Chick-fil-A | Dr. Saturday - Yahoo! Sports

Old 02-03-2012, 10:20 AM

4,697 posts, read 2,832,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post

Please tell us how you really feel.

+rep

Old 02-04-2012, 12:52 PM

2,519 posts, read 1,491,638 times
It's official West Virginia backed out of our game (FSU) with them. Figures... I wouldnt want to play us either.

Old 02-04-2012, 01:02 PM

2,712 posts, read 1,320,224 times
Does anyone "sign" with North Texas, or do they just wait until all the other schools say "We don't want you" or their two year eligibilty of warming the bench at Hickville Junior College is up and show up in August ready to play ?

Some of the players on that team lack the skills to play college ball. While I would quickly place the blame on the coaches and the Athletic director (Rick Villareal, champion of losing) I would have to wonder if the college football scene is not so vast that anyone can go and play somewhere?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:25 AM

4,697 posts, read 2,832,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
It's official West Virginia backed out of our game (FSU) with them. Figures... I wouldnt want to play us either.
FSU has made quite a haul in recruiting this year.

As a Texas fan being pretty much ignorant of WVU, what is their fan base like? Are they as primitive as some Internet posters ssay they are? How are visiting fans treated at their home games?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football