Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Maybe he wouldn't have had a broken heart if he had done the right thing a long time ago.

He could have ended his career as a hero instead of a bum.
True, Sandusky's rape of children, Joe's lack of action in protecting those children from rape, the others who saw/knew/turned a blind eye, and the idiot fans who didn't give a damn about raped children as long as they got to see great football will all have to answer to Him one day.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissent View Post
Way to go Penn St. officials pushed the old man until he died. RIP Joe Pa.
He died of lung cancer, so while it may be hip to blame someone for his death, it is also unfair. When a chain smoker dies of lung cancer, they have only themselves to blame. He was lucky to have lived to 85. Having said that it is sad that the last year of his life was such a mess.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
RIP Joe

What an odd 90 days for the PSU faithful.

Hopefully in death the great things done by this man can be celebrated for what they are...

Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
I think he deserved bad press. He did not do enough with the information he had and that will be how he is remembered by most people that are not football fanatics. It's sad but true. Even though he reported it to someone....he never questioned it going forward....? Bah.

eta: the good he did in football doesn't really negate the bad that was done to those kids lives by his inaction.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:05 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
How in hell is this seen as a left right political issue? A monster was on that campus doing horrible things to young children for DECADES. His behavior was apparently known to several important people, and they chose to do nothing to stop him, save for banning him from the campus, effectively saying we don't care what you do to those innocent children, just be sure not to do it here. And while I've not seen anyone say that Joe is as responsible as Sandusky, it's difficult not to think he should have done something more, and not to be sickened by the fact he didn't. Personally, I am more sickened by McQuerey, who apparently walked in on a rape of a boy in progress, and chose to walk away instead of immediately dragging that sicko off the boy. But that's not the point of this thread.

So tell me please, how you construe this as a matter of political differences.
I was wondering the same thing, how is the witch hunt a left right issue? How does anyone blame the left for Jo pa being fired? I thingk Jo was fired for covering for a pedophile, is someone seriously saying dems are to tough on wrong doing and the right supports aiding and covering up for pedophiles?

You know, you don't have to try spinning everything in life on political terms. Jim Tressel lost his job for covering up wrong doing and Jo pa was fired for covering up wrong doing.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
RIP JoePa. You did more for college football than any other coach has ever done. I hope you'll be remembered for all the good you have done, all the charities you have supported and all the money you gave to PSU!

May the rightful person be remembered for his crimes alone, not you.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:20 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
He did the right thing. If a grown man came to me and said he saw a middle age man anally violate a 10 year old boy. I would ask did he report it to the police or intervene. If he said no than I would question the validity of the story because I don't see how a grown man could witness such an act and not do something.

So before I ruin the life of someone I worked with for decades over hearsay I would report it to my supervisors and have them handle it. Which is what Joe Paterno did.
I think we don't know every detail Penn state knew when Jo was fired. I'll trust they, the ones with a better understanding of what happened, did the right thing. Most likely they were a lot softer than they could have been because of his age, condition and his legacy.

You cannot draw conclusions based on sound bits.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:21 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
He did the right thing. If a grown man came to me and said he saw a middle age man anally violate a 10 year old boy. I would ask did he report it to the police or intervene. If he said no than I would question the validity of the story because I don't see how a grown man could witness such an act and not do something.

So before I ruin the life of someone I worked with for decades over hearsay I would report it to my supervisors and have them handle it. Which is what Joe Paterno did.
That's the way I looked at it. I was accused, wrongly accused, and when I was vindicated there were still those who still blamed me.

I can remember when we were innocent until PROVEN guilty. We will all be judged.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:30 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I think he deserved bad press. He did not do enough with the information he had and that will be how he is remembered by most people that are not football fanatics. It's sad but true. Even though he reported it to someone....he never questioned it going forward....? Bah.

eta: the good he did in football doesn't really negate the bad that was done to those kids lives by his inaction.
I agree. Considering he didn't give a mad F* about those kids, he should have pursued it more in order to protect his precious football program. Jerk.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:42 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Though there is the long standing "sticky" thread on Paterno, I'm ok with this thread. In time I'll either lock or combine the threads as activity decreases. Like the other thread, I'm watching the comments closely. And let's be civil to each other here. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football