U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:43 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,420,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
If you read my whole post, you would see I agree with you about the "star" business.
i read it

just sounded like sarcasm to me... can't tell with you Texas folk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 PM

4,635 posts, read 3,991,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Ranking recruiting classes are stupid.... Boise has never had a top 50 class yet finishes in the top 10 annually.

Texas always has a top 5 class annually and finishes in the top 5 rarely.

go figure.
+1

I have two problems with recruiting rankings:
1) These kids are far from maturing;
2) They basically pay for their star ranking by participating in dumb camps. You cannot rank a player by how he performs drills. The only way to recruit is to watch a lot of game tape and talk to him, his teammates and coaches.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:27 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,290,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
+1

I have two problems with recruiting rankings:
1) These kids are far from maturing;
2) They basically pay for their star ranking by participating in dumb camps. You cannot rank a player by how he performs drills. The only way to recruit is to watch a lot of game tape and talk to him, his teammates and coaches.
i don't know much about this, firsthand --

but we (the gamecocks) signed a QB from Pennsylvania, Brendan Nosovitch. The kid was only a 3-star, but he had some big honors , like playing in the HS All American game, breaking records set by Dan Marino and Jim Kelly, etc., throwing for 12,000 career yards.

The word around the campfire was exactly what you're saying, that he didn't participate in these scouting camps, and that hurt his "star" ranking.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:46 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,620,735 times
As long as they recruit guys who have the raw talent, that's what matters. The skill set is developed in college, and the intelligence is developed in the pros. Recruit the talent, but after that, it's what coaches and trainers can do with that talent that matters.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:17 AM

8,414 posts, read 8,422,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
As long as they recruit guys who have the raw talent, that's what matters. The skill set is developed in college, and the intelligence is developed in the pros. Recruit the talent, but after that, it's what coaches and trainers can do with that talent that matters.
And that's why Oklahoma's Stoops has the sight edge over Mack Brown.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:05 AM

1,261 posts, read 1,774,439 times
While Star Rankings aren't completely useless (the ones at the top of the rankings normally at top on the field)

It's a buisness. And that includes on the media side, to get guys like us to watch ESPN and read Yahoo sports and such wondering about who has the best recruiting class. And like people said, you can't put too much faith in them.

Still like I said those on top....

Speaking of which, how about UCLA and Vandy surprising everybody. And Mizzou getting that one 5 star kid (I can't keep up with all of em)

Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 PM

5,417 posts, read 7,734,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
While Star Rankings aren't completely useless (the ones at the top of the rankings normally at top on the field)

It's a buisness. And that includes on the media side, to get guys like us to watch ESPN and read Yahoo sports and such wondering about who has the best recruiting class. And like people said, you can't put too much faith in them.

Still like I said those on top....

Speaking of which, how about UCLA and Vandy surprising everybody. And Mizzou getting that one 5 star kid (I can't keep up with all of em)
>>>>>
And Mizzou getting that one 5 star kid (I can't keep up with all of em)
<<<<<

OU was next in line but we had so many receivers coming in I'm thinking that he really didn't want to compete. At Mizzou, he can get in the line up right away with little to no competition.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:24 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,023,976 times
Yeah, star rankings are not the end all when it comes to excelling at the next level for sure (whether it is in college or NFL). I found this interesting and thought I'd pass it along. Here are the two rosters for the Giants and Pats with Rivals' star rankings.

Rivals.com Football Recruiting - Super Bowl rosters filled with underdog stories

With that being said, my Ducks already have a verbal from the first Rivals 2013 #1 rated running back- Thomas Tyner.

The boy is fast! And he is 215 lbs. Pretty impressive for a Sophomore.

Thomas Tyner runs a 10.38a 100 meter dash at Metro League track meet - YouTube

Yeah, not much competition in ol' Oregon

Last edited by Acuda; 02-08-2012 at 06:33 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 AM

8,414 posts, read 8,422,674 times
10.38 100 meters?

Not bad at all. That would have gotten him 3rd place in the Texas HS track meet last year.

Darn fast in fact, especially if it translates well to "football" speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football