U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2012, 03:22 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,392,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

(Edit-two sentences deleted)

I was not intimating that the Big 12 "forced" the SEC's hand in some kind of power struggle. Just that the Big 12 and the SEC partnered because such a game between the Big 12's best and the SEC's would bring in more cash.

(Edit-another deletion)

Edit:
Exactly.

College football is changing and now only 4 conferences matter. The Big 10 and PAC formed an alliance, so of course the Big 12 and SEC are going to do so to further increase their prestige. Come 2014 College football is going to be a whole different game, and the Big 12 is about to get a bunch of new girlfriends, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-19-2012 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times
Default Possible Cross-Conference Rivalry Setup......

This would be fun to watch!

SEC-Big 12 Alliance Should Be A Rivalry Series, Not Just A Bowl Game - SBNation.com

Old 05-21-2012, 07:47 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,834 times
Here is an interesting article... That takes the SEC and Big12 expansion and new SEC/Big12 bowl game further. I like the idea...

How the SEC and the Big 12 Should Go About Setting Up a College Football Scheduling Agreement - Dawg Sports

For those that dont want to read it. The premise is the SEC and Big12 are going to agree aliases with each other for their out of conference scheduling since the new playoff favors strong out of conference scheduling. Essentially making the SEC and Big12 being equivalent to inter-league play in Major League Baseball except it will keep the natural rivalries and create some new ones. Like an extended conference so to speak.

For Example... he goes on to mentioned many of these mixed up differently but I like it the way I have below.

Natural Rivalries
Florida (SEC) vs Florida State (Big 12)
South Carolina (SEC) vs Clemson (Big 12)
Georgia (SEC) vs Georgia Tech (Big 12)
Texas A&M (SEC) vs Texas (Big 12)
Missouri (SEC) vs Kansas (Big 12)
Alabama (SEC) vs West Virginia (Big 12)
Kentucky (SEC) vs Louisville (Big 12)

New Rivalries but with some history on the field or coaches:
Tennessee (SEC) vs Kansas State (Big 12)
Auburn (SEC) vs Texas Tech (Big 12)
Arkansas (SEC) vs Oklahoma (Big 12)

Completely New Rivalries:
LSU (SEC) vs Oklahoma State (Big12)
Vanderbilt (SEC) vs Baylor (Big 12)
Ole Miss (SEC) vs Iowa State (Big 12)
Mississippi State (SEC) vs TCU (Big 12)

Last edited by Mr. GE; 05-21-2012 at 08:10 AM..

Old 05-21-2012, 07:31 PM

24 posts, read 18,695 times
Time for a Lawsuit to break up this BCS Monopoly.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:05 AM

203 posts, read 278,062 times
I try to ignore anything written by SBNation... its basically just over-zealous fans and bloggers who wish they were sports writers.

This is an interesting idea though, albeit farfetched. The Big12 definitely is not that aggressive with school poaching, and are more concerned with splitting the pie ($) than growing the pie. Whats more, the SEC would never agree to playing such difficult out of conference schedules on a regularly basis, and basically just to sustain 2 rivalries (of their two newest members to to-boot).

The only way the Big12 expands is if;
(1) new playoff rules require it. (i.e. conf. must have 12 team min., or tourney teams must have won a conf. champ. games, or must have played 13 games before tourney, etc.)
(2) 2 teams that add more value than they would get take from the conference want to join. (i.e. BYU, ND, or FSU and/or other eastern power schools)
(3) there is some dramatic shift in the FBS format.

Last edited by jasomm; 05-22-2012 at 08:13 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 03:43 PM

Default THANK YOU Chuck Neinas....

What a difference wise leadership makes. Chuck Neinas held the Big 12 together and has even made some major strides in securing its future. Not bad for an "interim."

I hope Bowlsby is ready to live up to Neinas' legacy.

From Extinction to the Captain's Chair: A Timeline and a Game of Big 12 Jenga | Bleacher Report

Old 05-25-2012, 10:33 AM

Default Clemson Desiring Solicitation?.....

Clemson committed to ACC, but would consider proposal from another league - NCAA Football - Sporting News

I don't know if this one happens. It sounds like Clemson and FSU truly do want in, but I don't know if their simple desire for more money and a seat at the big boy table brings such a scenario to fruition.

Right now it sounds like it's pretty much Deloss Dodds/TX (against expansion) against Boren/Constiglione/OU (for expansion). If Neinas would have stuck around I would say OU wins that battle as Neinas is very Ol' Big Eight centric.

We'll see if Bowlsby has the coconuts to stand up to Texas as Neinas did (which Beebe obviously could not).

I personally want a conference championship game.....it's only right considering the other Big 3 conferences have one now.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 05-25-2012 at 10:44 AM..

Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 AM

8,382 posts, read 8,373,886 times
Texas has only one (1) vote, just like each of the other Big12 members have always had.

Apparently Costiglione has no influence since Boren has to take the lead for OU. What's up with that?

Old 05-27-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Texas has only one (1) vote, just like each of the other Big12 members have always had.

Apparently Costiglione has no influence since Boren has to take the lead for OU. What's up with that?
True.

As for Boren, I can't really say. It may be the former Senator coming out in him. I am with you....it should be the AD's job to report on all matters pertaining to sports.

The university president (although he obviously is interested in athletics, especially football and the money it brings) should pretend to be unaffected by the university's sports, IMO.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:22 AM

8,382 posts, read 8,373,886 times
Well, a lot of Texas fans are eager to see Dodds retire - he is getting a bit long in the tooth, not to mention the extreme money-grubbing at the expense of so many longtime Orangebloods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football