U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 08:59 AM

8,371 posts, read 8,363,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
There is hardly a difference between the two in reality. Both have stellar programs and are regarded as good schools. Sports wise, UT dominates generally, but academics is really a wash.
Actually, you are incorrect.

A&M is a good tier 2 school academically, but well below Texas (which is consistently in the top 40 worldwide).

US News ranks A&M overall about 10 spots below Texas nationally because the aggy alumni donation rate is higher than Texas'. It's a cult thing with the farmers.

As for Oregon football, the Ducks have had a good run the past several years, but have a loooong way to go before they're considered an elite program.
I like the Ducks & wish them well (my family lived in Portland for a while & a brother was born there), especially if they clean up their program.

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-01-2012 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
Look. As long as we can just all agree that the state of Texas sucks (with the exception of Austin), cant we all just get along.
That's funny coming from somebody in New Jersey.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:27 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,017,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Actually, you are incorrect.

A&M is a good tier 2 school academically, but well below Texas (which is consistently in the top 40 worldwide).

US News ranks A&M overall about 10 spots below Texas nationally because the aggy alumni donation rate is higher than Texas'. It's a cult thing with the farmers.

As for Oregon football, the Ducks have had a good run the past several years, but have a loooong way to go before they're considered an elite program.
I like the Ducks & wish them well (my family lived in Portland for a while & a brother was born there), especially if they clean up their program.
A&M is in no way a Tier 2 school (which means it is worse than roughly 25% of the universities in the U.S. (take off your burnt orange googles now). If you regard rankings as the end-all, there are many rankings and A&M is around UT in many of them. The Alumni Assoc. can only donate so much. A&M has some great programs and so does UT, but to imply A&M is far inferior to UT is just wrong.

My wife is a UT Honors Graduate and she said UT was a joke. But then again, the girl is smart as a whip, so who knows? How did she end up with a cocky Duck, huh? As with so many colleges, it really is what you get out of it. Most our friends here are UT or A&M grads and both admit that the other school is just as good (minus sports though).

As far as the Ducks...I'm not concerned if Oregon is elite or not. But, what's elite nowadays? 5-7? 7-5? Notre Dame? If Oregon lined up against the Horns today, I think you know what would happen.

Guess we'll just have to look at women's softball...hey, looks like we beat y'all in that. Yeah, for softball

Old 06-01-2012, 05:51 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,862,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Phil Knight will ensure the continued success of Oregon's athletic program.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Phil Knight will ensure the Ducks have snazzy unis and hope for the continued success of Oregon's athletic program.
Fixed that for ya!

Yep, that's what a very rich ALUMNUS does for his alma mater when he has the largest sports equipment designer in the world and loves sports.

I would donate a truckload as well. Shoot, I donate what seems like a ton already.

Last edited by Acuda; 06-01-2012 at 07:36 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I dont really know about Oregon, so I cant comment there.

I also dont see what your wife and brother in law have to do with this conversation. So what having family who went to both schools automatically makes your opinion right because it makes you an expert? Try not to pretend you know much about the schools simple from what your wife and brother in law and NOTHING else.
And please do tell what you know about them. Let me guess, you spent some time down on 6th Street and got a real good explanation from Chandler Reed, rush chairman and beer pong champion, from Sigma Nu? I bet he had a whole lot to tell you about the quality of education at both schools.

Yeah, I bet you know lots.

Let's all get back onto the hot topic- The insider's knowledge...(or so they think) of the ACC- Who knows what? Who dates whom? Who got liposuction? Next, the juicy gossip only on ACCess Hollywood!

Last edited by Acuda; 06-01-2012 at 07:20 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 08:10 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,388,719 times
Quote:
And please do tell what you know about them. Let me guess, you spent some time down on 6th Street and got a real good explanation from Chandler Reed, rush chairman and beer pong champion, from Sigma Nu? I bet he had a whole lot to tell you about the quality of education at both schools.
How did you know? you must be a mind reader and know me really well. Well I guess you are right since obviously my view is based off playing beer pong on 6th street and nothing else. From now on you are the expert on all things UT and A&M related since you know 2 people who went there, and everyone else is obviously a drunken frat boy.

Instead of just petitioning the Big 12 FSU wanted to let the Big 12 know they were interested in the hopes they would be invited, and they could leave the ACC making the Big 12 look like the bad guys.

As for the rumors. Someone floated them. My guess is that it was FSU officials who wanted to create support for a move to the big 12 by getting everyone excited about it. However it is speculation who leaked them. Also it is possible the Big 12 and FSU are talking and wont admit it. Who knows? The only thing we know for sure is the ACC has become a 2nd tier football conference.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
How did you know? you must be a mind reader and know me really well. Well I guess you are right since obviously my view is based off playing beer pong on 6th street and nothing else. From now you are the expert on all things UT and A&M related since you know 2 people who went there, and everyone else is obviously a drunken frat boy.
Not saying I'm an expert, simply corrected you. Besides, who said I only know 2 people? Having a wife from UT and a brother in law from A&M, living in Austin, having a ton of friends from both schools, having a ton of colleagues from both schools (with a Tech grad sprinkled in) makes me just a wee bit informed.

And since my wife and I are both in education/educational research, we kinda talk about schools from time to time. Call it crazy to hear a few things from time to time regarding what people feel about the two flagship schools in Texas.

Shoot, all you really have to do is look up on the interwebbies what people think about the schools, look at a few rankings, read up on some of the distinguished programs from A&M and you can get a clearer picture on the school. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize it is a massive Tier I research university that brings in a ton of money, has some really good programs (especially in ag science and engineering), etc., is ranked highly, etc.

Enough defending A&M. Track NCAAs are coming up and the Lady Ducks are gonna jack up the Ags and win another title for U of O.

Who knows what will happen with expansion? As for the Pac-12, they will hold as there is no one that fit into the conference. They really should have invited OU and OSU last summer.

Last edited by Acuda; 06-01-2012 at 08:47 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,388,719 times
I never said A&M wasnt a good school...

As for the PAC they should have picked up more schools. It is a good conference, and one of the superconferences, but like Big 12 it is dominated by a few schools, mainly Oregon. I hope all 4 conferences are able to play football on the same level.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
A&M is in no way a Tier 2 school (which means it is worse than roughly 25% of the universities in the U.S. (take off your burnt orange googles now). If you regard rankings as the end-all, there are many rankings and A&M is around UT in many of them. The Alumni Assoc. can only donate so much. A&M has some great programs and so does UT, but to imply A&M is far inferior to UT is just wrong.

My wife is a UT Honors Graduate and she said UT was a joke. But then again, the girl is smart as a whip, so who knows? How did she end up with a cocky Duck, huh? As with so many colleges, it really is what you get out of it. Most our friends here are UT or A&M grads and both admit that the other school is just as good (minus sports though).

I and my numerous relatives & friends who have attended or graduated from both schools disagree. And the numerous national rankings are what they are.

But degrees in education from any school are a joke, as are half the other liberal arts degree plans.

A&M is a good school, but not in UT's league overall. Nor is it a "flagship" university.

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-02-2012 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football