U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 10:34 AM

6,349 posts, read 8,402,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I and my numerous relatives & friends who have attended or graduated from both schools disagree. And the numerous national rankings are what they are.

But degrees in education from any school are a joke, as are half the other liberal arts degree plans.

A&M is a good school, but not in UT's league overall. Nor is it a "flagship" university.
Good point.

UT is definitely the flagship school of Texas, and the pride of Texas. However, both of us have gotten our views from playing beer pong on 6th street, while the other poster knows TWO people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 02:01 PM

2,091 posts, read 3,020,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I and my numerous relatives & friends who have attended or graduated from both schools disagree. And the numerous national rankings are what they are.

But degrees in education from any school are a joke, as are half the other liberal arts degree plans.

A&M is a good school, but not in UT's league overall. Nor is it a "flagship" university.
This shows you have NO IDEA what you are talking about. You want to get into degrees, let's go. I have a master's in Educational Research. It's not some alternative teaching certification like the garbage they allow here in Texas. That means I spent my time researching children's development of reading, what strategies they are using, and how to improve them. Oh, and i had to take more than a few classes in science- you know to see how your bowl full of noodles works. I have worked on research in the educational field for many years. I have had a hand in developing comprehensive reading assessments such as DIBELS, which is widely used in schools across the U.S. (and yes here in the local schools). I also teach part time at ACC as well (but that is usually one class a summer and only silly things like how to help improve reading in disadvantaged youth ).

Marginalize liberal arts degrees all you want, but some one has to teach people to read and write and it sure isn't going to be you. In fact, if you ask rational science and math majors, most would tell you it would be tough for them as well- people simply have different skills.

This is exactly what is wrong with the education system in the U.S. "Oh, liberal arts degrees are not math or science, so they are easy and morons can can do it." We need to only teach math and science. Well, if you think lib. arts degrees and those degrees don't mean a thing, well, put your money where your mouth is and go teach our Central Texas kids. Go into East Austin schools Scopro and improve their reading and writing skills. If they can't read, they certainly won't be able to do any math problems. Gee, they can write code for a program, but can't read the directions for a prescription- DEAD. Go into a class of 22 3rd graders and tell me why half on them are behind. Then tell me how to fix it. And then DO IT. But, seeing how you think, I'm willing to bet you can probably careless about that population...hmmm? Yeah, those liberal arts degrees are a joke.

Oh, I also have a degree in Special Education- but again, I'm willing to bet they don't mean much to you either, huh?

Oh, A&M is the flagship uni of the Texas A&M system. UT is the flagship uni of UT system- That means there are more than one university system and are independent form each other. God, does anyone do any research anymore.

These degrees are useless all the time, huh?
Anthropology- I don't need no one telling me I'm related to an ape
Social work- Helping all those freeloaders, ain't helping
Theater- All we need is more Tom Clancy books turned into movies or I'd even go see one in play form
Linguistics- Everyone needs to talk American!
Literature- Two words, Field and Stream
Philosophy- Philosophize this!

Last edited by Acuda; 06-02-2012 at 02:40 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 05:32 PM

8,403 posts, read 8,393,387 times
Sorry to have riled you up, but you seem to have misread my post. My comment was not directed at you personally, but at the state of teacher education programs at the university level. (And not just in Texas) They are a joke, and have been for decades. But it is true that many (not all) of the degree major plans in the liberal arts colleges are a joke and are not worth the paper they are printed on. Perhaps I could have worded it a bit differently without using such broad brush strokes.

Appparently your wife thinks her course of study was a joke, but that does not mean the University is a joke since many of the other colleges (engineering, sciences, computer science, business, law, etc.) are highly ranked & recognized.

It's not just my opinion, but also that of the majority of my colleagues of varying disciplines in the three "inner city" Austin secondary schools where I taught for three decades before retiring (Porter, Webb, Lamar - two of those being heavily minority at the time).
Most of those teachers starting out complained how their university education courses did not prepare them at all for teaching in those schools. I concurred with them and still do.
The course of study for the colleges of education needs to be radically changed if the profession is going to succeed in this state. The same goes for many otheer states, as I've read similar complaints from around the country and some from relatives who studied out of state.

But nowhere did I imply that liberal arts majors were morons. Where did you get that from? The only moron I know of is Governor Perry who is attempting to ruin the U. of Texas and Texas A&M with his pinhead meddling.

I have a B.A. in liberal arts, two close relatives also have the same, and two others have special education degrees. My wife has an elementary education degree. Several have their masters. Some taught at the college level - including ACC, and one still does.

Most of us made careers in education, teaching as long as 42 years while others are still currently on faculties.

So yes, I do know what I'm talking about. And yes I did (and do) care about kids of all demograhics, particulary special ed students since I worked with scores of those who were mainstreamed.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:04 PM

8,403 posts, read 8,393,387 times
Forgot to add about the "flagship" thing - that's just rivalry smacktalk. I'm well aware of the history of Texas A&M, especially the fact that it was originally established as a branch of the University of Texas.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:27 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,718,499 times
Default Okay, back to some legitimate realignment talk....

Notre Dame gradually making a shift oriented to the Big 12?

Interesting: Notre Dame sports may ditch Big East for Big 12

Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,402,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

Notre Dame doesnt seem like a good fit for the Big 12.

I guess the Big 12 may give ND the most independence, but still I doubt ND would join it.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,416,462 times
Quote:

Your schools are going to be second fiddle to two special privileged schools in Texas and Notre Dame if they join the Big 12... Go ahead and come to the SEC!!!

We'll take both OK schools...

Old 06-22-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Your schools are going to be second fiddle to two special privileged schools in Texas and Notre Dame if they join the Big 12... Go ahead and come to the SEC!!!

We'll take both OK schools...
I would have loved Oklahoma/Okie-State to join the SEC West. Can you imagine a division with Oklahoma/LSU/Okie-State/Arkansas/A&M/and then the Mississippi schools? Pretty good stuff. It would have been a lot of fun, to be sure. But that ship has sailed. The Sooners had an open invitation from Slive, but I guess Boren & Co. are just too snooty to join the SEC. Why? Because of academics? Culture? Oklahoma is much more culturally akin to Arkansas/Texas so no issues there. Every Okie I have talked to about it thinks it is ridiculous we weren't focused on the SEC West before the PAC Whatever. If we can't have the Big 12 South then everyone I know would rather be in the SEC, period.

As for second fiddle, yeh the Sooners will always play second fiddle to the Horns/ND financially. But never in terms of tradition. As long as the Sooners continue to win in spite of all of Texas' money, I'm fine. 7 Conference Titles to their 3 is proof enough. (A similar scenario is what we were talking about a few weeks back with the the B1G/PAC making the most revenue overall even though the SEC rules the roost in terms of actually winning on the field.)

Old 06-22-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Notre Dame doesnt seem like a good fit for the Big 12.

I guess the Big 12 may give ND the most independence, but still I doubt ND would join it.
^^^
That would be the only reason for consideration along with the Big East's eventual demise as a football conference.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:19 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,416,462 times
Quote:
I would have loved Oklahoma/Okie-State to join the SEC West. Can you imagine a division with Oklahoma/LSU/Okie-State/Arkansas/A&M/and then the Mississippi schools? Pretty good stuff. It would have been a lot of fun, to be sure. But that ship has sailed. The Sooners had an open invitation from Slive, but I guess Boren & Co. are just too snooty to join the SEC. Why? Because of academics? Culture? Oklahoma is much more culturally akin to Arkansas/Texas so no issues there. Every Okie I have talked to about it thinks it is ridiculous we weren't focused on the SEC West before the PAC Whatever. If we can't have the Big 12 South then everyone I know would rather be in the SEC, period.

As for second fiddle, yeh the Sooners will always play second fiddle to the Horns/ND financially. But never in terms of tradition. As long as the Sooners continue to win in spite of all of Texas' money, I'm fine. 7 Conference Titles to their 3 is proof enough. (A similar scenario is what we were talking about a few weeks back with the the B1G/PAC making the most revenue overall even though the SEC rules the roost in terms of actually winning on the field.)

I know the ship sailed... and the new bowl game between the 2 conference I think is the white flag being waived by both sides unfortunately.

I think it makes more sense for OK and OK state to be in the SEC now vs the SEC getting VT and anyone else. Especially if ND goes to the Big 12.

And I am with you on OK not being second fiddle in tradition. I was speaking about influence & power more than anything. The conference goes by what Texas wants unfortunately. Given Oklahoma's tradition in ALL sports they should have more influence to me. And the talk of ND going to the Big12 seems like it would only make their voice even smaller. it's unfortunate...

And yes you are exactly right in how OK keeps their revenue up by placing an importance on having good winning programs. It's the same point I made about the SEC.

I wanna see what the playoff does to realignment. I think it will slow it down tremendously. but I still expect the conferences to go to 16 eventually. It just may be a few years longer now.

And as much as I hate Oklahoma. I'm on the get Oklahoma in the SEC bandwagon. Whatever that takes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football