U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-08-2012, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,401 posts, read 8,390,851 times
Reputation: 6995

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
A&M was throwing a hissy fit. It is like one of those, "you gave it your best effort," trophies. Nobody in Texas, the country, or the world considers A&M in the same league as UT, except people who went to A&M. Texas has 1 real flagship school and it is UT. A&M is still a fine school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2012, 05:45 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,717,153 times
Reputation: 3064
Default TV Driving Expansion.

I couldn't remember if I had already posted this but I was reading back through some articles and found this one. I think the author makes some salient points about ESPN's (and to a lesser extent Fox) involvement in the realignment process:

ESPN, FOX Advising Big 12 on Expansion, Adding Notre Dame : Outkick The Coverage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,416,084 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I couldn't remember if I had already posted this but I was reading back through some articles and found this one. I think the author makes some salient points about ESPN's (and to a lesser extent Fox) involvement in the realignment process:

ESPN, FOX Advising Big 12 on Expansion, Adding Notre Dame : Outkick The Coverage

I don't think this stuff should be a big surprise... The author says it is a "massive" story. Well I disagree.

Of course the conferences are going to ask the television networks who give them their contracts which scenarios and schools they would give the most money for... That makes perfect sense.

In addition, I have not heard anyone deny that the television networks were are huge part of conference expansion.

This stuff is just common "business" sense...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,717,153 times
Reputation: 3064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I don't think this stuff should be a big surprise... The author says it is a "massive" story. Well I disagree.

Of course the conferences are going to ask the television networks who give them their contracts which scenarios and schools they would give the most money for... That makes perfect sense.

In addition, I have not heard anyone deny that the television networks were are huge part of conference expansion.

This stuff is just common "business" sense...
Agreed.

The sad reality is that the TV Networks have so much power in the final analysis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 AM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,416,084 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Agreed.

The sad reality is that the TV Networks have so much power in the final analysis.
The more interesting part of the article for me was the dismal of any other schools besides Notre Dame to the Big12. Which means FSU and Clemson to the Big12 is probably not going to happen...

When I was discussing that with the West Virginia guy on one of the other boards I explained how they are not valuable and wouldnt increase any revenue for the Big12. Looks like I was correct...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 11:58 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,414 posts, read 7,717,153 times
Reputation: 3064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
The more interesting part of the article for me was the dismal of any other schools besides Notre Dame to the Big12. Which means FSU and Clemson to the Big12 is probably not going to happen...

When I was discussing that with the West Virginia guy on one of the other boards I explained how they are not valuable and wouldnt increase any revenue for the Big12. Looks like I was correct...
Yeh, that has to put a big dent in FSU's pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,416,084 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yeh, that has to put a big dent in FSU's pride.
yea... it goes to show that they belong where they are though too.

the only benefit would be that it helps facilitate more natural rivals with the SEC and BIG12... I think that will be important for both conferences going forward with Biggie/PAC being tied so closely to the hip. It was important for our conferences to do the same to mitigate that strategy. The bond will also help prevent any future pilfering of either conference. So it was bound to happen... Blue states vs Red states

I think Notre Dame would make the divide further too because Biggie would be PISSED with them going to the Big12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2012, 11:32 AM
 
411 posts, read 269,720 times
Reputation: 116
We live in very interesting times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2012, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,401 posts, read 8,390,851 times
Reputation: 6995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libsk View Post
We live in very interesting times.
College football has been evolving since it began, so it's always interesting.

These latest developments are just another step up in Darwin's theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 02:39 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,401,274 times
Reputation: 1769
Mr. GE you were right.

Big 12 rejected them for revenue reasons, but I still dont understand how a school like FSU could not increase the revenue for everyone in the conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top