Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 06:28 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,851 times

Advertisements

Spent some time on various message boards last night and read a couple rumors that had more than one source, but again this means very little. Anyhow, the first was that UNC is seriously considering going to the SEC before NCST gets the invite. According to the sources, UNC does not want little brother getting first crack at the big money, leaving them behind in a weaker/potentially unstable conference. A different poster backed this up and added UNC wants travel partner UVA with them. That'd be a great duo for the SEC to grab, but VA Tech/NCST seems so much more of an SEC-style pair to me. But anyone would jump to add UNC even with their recent troubles with the NCAA.

Second rumor, VA Tech is secretly all but signed up to join the SEC for when the SEC Network is to kick off (2014). Furthermore, another poster claims they're making 1 demand to join the SEC: Bring FSU in as team 16.

Hmmm. Not sure about either of these rumors. I do expect VA Tech to be SEC-bound, but am curious as to why they would demand any team (and the old rumor was they wanted NCST as a partner) to go with them as their tenure in the ACC has been fairly short. UNC in the SEC? That'd be interesting. I hear they are Mike Slive's #1 goal, but Notre Dame is the #1 goal of every conference but the SEC and that ain't looking too likely either. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
t
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
apologies for the late reply, don't stop in every 13 minutes like you^^

anyway, i get your point. whereas we do know why wvu was denied from its first 2 options, and then joined the big 12 after they couldn't get pitt, i still have no idea why fsu was denied by the big 12.

of course being that there has never been a single report on that, other than you on the city data forums, i guess we will never know.

on to another subject, its day 139 of the big 12 contract holdout. when you guys signing that ?
WVU wasn't denied anywhere.

Big 12 didn't seem like an option and the SEC wanted to see what happened with the Big 12 before picking them up. In retrospect it worked out the best for WVU since they got into one of the best conferences, and one where they could lead it.

WVU got lucky and will now thrive. Pitt on the other hand gambled with the ACC and will now suffer in a 2nd rate conference.

Safak this has been explained to you before. They rejected fsu because the situation was different. They were in trouble and WVU helped keep the conference together. FSU could have gotten in then too, and Pitt could have too. Now they are strong again and the big 12 doesn't want weak schools that will decrease revenue.

Enjoy being an irrelevant team in an irrelevant conference.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 PM

I'm bringing up this old thread as it is being reported (read rumored) on message boards across the country that Maryland is joining the B1G for 2014 and this will be announced Monday. This has been discussed on several radio stations as well. It appears Rutgers may be joining them, all but crippling the Big East as UConn is on deck, according to sources, to fill Maryland's spot in the ACC.

Again, I do not report this as fact. But to go further, the B1G wants UNC and will take UVA to get them as they want a "bordering states" conference with no holes but this will be later.

FSU is also very pissed being ranked below SEC teams with 2 loses. If MD does indeed leave, maybe FSU finally does make last summer's Big 12 rumors come true.

If this really is the dawn of the 16-team superconferences, the Big 12 and PAC 12 had better get going. Big 12 has some decent candidates (especially if the ACC crumbles, which I kinda doubt), but the PAC 12, not so much.

I'm not sure how these schools will go about the new ACC $50 million exit fee, but as we all know these fees usually get negotiated down. Plus the BTN will make any team so much money that the exit fee could be paid off in short order.

Again, this is all specualtion but it's fun. And remember, I was the one who said Notre Dame would start dropping B1G teams from their future schedules only to be laughed at and then...goodbye Michigan just days later.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
^^^ realignment is more exciting than the games.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:48 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,115 times
I don't want Maryland or Rutgers in the Big Ten. They do not belong in the conference.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Again, I do not report this as fact. But to go further, the B1G wants UNC and will take UVA to get them as they want a "bordering states" conference with no holes but this will be later.
While that would make for a contiguous conference, as a practical matter a conference that stretches from Nebraska to the South Atlantic sure is an unwieldly thing. I thought Lincoln to Happy Valley was pushing the boundaries as it was.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
While that would make for a contiguous conference, as a practical matter a conference that stretches from Nebraska to the South Atlantic sure is an unwieldly thing. I thought Lincoln to Happy Valley was pushing the boundaries as it was.
I know, and agree. But with the Big 12 going to WV, the SEC to Texas, the Big East (while they last) to Idaho, I guess that's how the future looks. Heck, the PAC tried getting to Texas and the ACC is already from Boston to Miami.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:48 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
The stinger to the rumor is the exit fees and that both programs/colleges don't make enough to pay them.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
Bad move for Maryland. I will withdraw my support for the school, financial and otherwise, if it moves to the Big Ten.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:53 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
The stinger to the rumor is the exit fees and that both programs/colleges don't make enough to pay them.

The exit fee may not be enforceable... Or the B1G Network is going to cover the fee. That's the rumor right now.

Who knows really.

But if they cannot enforce the exit fee... expect other ACC schools to bolt as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football