U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 AM

5,473 posts, read 13,664,565 times

Advertisements

I don't see UNC seriously considering leaving the ACC as they are currently very attached.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,865,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Bad move for Maryland. I will withdraw my support for the school, financial and otherwise, if it moves to the Big Ten.
That said, I don't anticipate Maryland going anywhere, especially the Big Ten where it would become an outlier school once again. Maryland encouraged the issuance of invitations to both Pitt and Cuse. Plus I can't imagine Maryland exchanging east coast markets for midwest markets. Doesn't make any sense.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:39 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,415,209 times
Quote:
That said, I don't anticipate Maryland going anywhere, especially the Big Ten where it would become an outlier school once again. Maryland encouraged the issuance of invitations to both Pitt and Cuse. Plus I can't imagine Maryland exchanging east coast markets for midwest markets. Doesn't make any sense.
Everything you said is lucid and makes plausible sense. However... The money is the reason it makes sense.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:26 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,865,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Everything you said is lucid and makes plausible sense. However... The money is the reason it makes sense.
You're absolutely correct. However, it was reported in the Wash Post last year that the debt load of UMD's athletic dept exceeded $83 million. It would be suicide at add on up to $50 million (exit fee) to that amount.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
You're absolutely correct. However, it was reported in the Wash Post last year that the debt load of UMD's athletic dept exceeded $83 million. It would be suicide at add on up to $50 million (exit fee) to that amount.
But if you are guaranteed $27M every year it is... That debt would get paid in no time.

They are in the debt because they are in the ACC... changing to the B1G would at minimum bring in more revenue.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:58 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,787,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
But if you are guaranteed $27M every year it is... That debt would get paid in no time.

They are in the debt because they are in the ACC... changing to the B1G would at minimum bring in more revenue.
To an extent, yes, but that debt won't disappear overnight, if ever. If someone in the UMD athletic department hasn't gotten an idea how to run the department spending less money than is taken in, the Big 10 ain't helping that out. UMD will probably use that for stadium expansion or something of that sort before it pays bills off.

On another forum, it was brought up that some alum CEO type would foot the bill, but smart folks with money don't get there by tossing $50 mil at this stuff.

Anyway, last realignment summer was unbearable. This summer might make me a Texans fan with all the time I will have on Saturdays next year once I quit watching college football. Why watch bad defense if it's all about the money when the pros can do it better?

Old 11-19-2012, 09:37 AM

6,349 posts, read 8,397,696 times
The implosion of the ACC has begun. UMD is just the beginning. So much for the so called stability ACC boosters thought they had. Even a 50 million exit fee can't keep teams in.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:19 AM

203 posts, read 278,223 times
Here it comes... another round of crazy realignment...

Im a BigTen and BigEast guy, so this has all been very interesting.

Maryland (another AAU school) to the BigTen makes a lot of strategic sense. The BigTen makes a show that they are the elite membership, and schools from the ACC and BigXII will jump at the chance to get in. Im willing to bet they are floating one last chance to Notre Dame to join before Rutgers (AAU also) takes the 14th spot. Though, I am assuming Rutgers will accept the invite tomorrow. what the BigTen does about Nebraska's AAU status may also be interesting. They could possibly say something like, 'you have X years to get your act together and get back in AAU, or you are out.'

What follows will dramatic, and probably good in the long run for FBS football: Uconn to ACC, Pac12 follows suite and goes to 14 schools, BigXII is pressured to do the same, Big East falls apart, and we get 5 super conferences of 14 schools.

There wont be enough elite schools left to form a 6th super conference, so the bowl system they have been finalizing will probably need some tweaks as well. What might(should?) result is a 8 team tournament where the 5 Conference champs, and 3 other highest-ranked teams (allows ND, conference championship game losers, and other conferences access).

Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,883,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
Here it comes... another round of crazy realignment...

Im a BigTen and BigEast guy, so this has all been very interesting.

Maryland (another AAU school) to the BigTen makes a lot of strategic sense. The BigTen makes a show that they are the elite membership, and schools from the ACC and BigXII will jump at the chance to get in. Im willing to bet they are floating one last chance to Notre Dame to join before Rutgers (AAU also) takes the 14th spot. Though, I am assuming Rutgers will accept the invite tomorrow. what the BigTen does about Nebraska's AAU status may also be interesting. They could possibly say something like, 'you have X years to get your act together and get back in AAU, or you are out.'

What follows will dramatic, and probably good in the long run for FBS football: Uconn to ACC, Pac12 follows suite and goes to 14 schools, BigXII is pressured to do the same, Big East falls apart, and we get 5 super conferences of 14 schools.

There wont be enough elite schools left to form a 6th super conference, so the bowl system they have been finalizing will probably need some tweaks as well. What might(should?) result is a 8 team tournament where the 5 Conference champs, and 3 other highest-ranked teams (allows ND, conference championship game losers, and other conferences access).
ND already signed that agreement with the ACC to play 5 games against ACC opponents every year.

This is turning into a joke, imo. Maryland and Rutgers going to the Big Ten? Now you're going to have an uneven number of football schools in the ACC once Pitts and Syracuse come online next year. The Big East is a fast sinking ship now that Pitt, Syracuse, ND and presumably Rutgers are out. If Louisville were to leave, the conference pretty much would any of it's luster.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
To an extent, yes, but that debt won't disappear overnight, if ever. If someone in the UMD athletic department hasn't gotten an idea how to run the department spending less money than is taken in, the Big 10 ain't helping that out. UMD will probably use that for stadium expansion or something of that sort before it pays bills off.

On another forum, it was brought up that some alum CEO type would foot the bill, but smart folks with money don't get there by tossing $50 mil at this stuff.

Anyway, last realignment summer was unbearable. This summer might make me a Texans fan with all the time I will have on Saturdays next year once I quit watching college football. Why watch bad defense if it's all about the money when the pros can do it better?

Like I said... the $$$ in joining the B1G was too much. Regardless of how they handle their budget, they just increased their guaranteed revenue. That was a no-brainer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football