U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,576 times

Advertisements

Well ACC looks much smarter now after The 'Ville's AWESOME Sugar Bowl win after No. 3 Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 AM

6,349 posts, read 8,389,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Well ACC looks much smarter now after The 'Ville's AWESOME Sugar Bowl win after No. 3 Florida.
No, not really. The Big East still looks good, and too be honest I always felt the Big East was underrated. When Lville does something in the ACC it will make the ACC look good.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 PM

1,367 posts, read 2,916,710 times
Okay, the latest rumor came out today. Instead of rehashing it, I will copy/paste the report but omit sections that mean nothing. This is from a guy who called the Maryland/Rutgers thing 2 weeks before it went down. I'm not sure I believe all of this, but it would make sense. Here is the edited report from a few hours ago:

The Big10 held a secret meeting two nights ago with unofficial representatives from 4 current ACC schools(UNC, UVA, GT, BC) and 1 current BigEast/Indy(ND).

At this point the Big10 can not just stop at 16. They may very well only take 2 to begin with but it will be on the promise of more invites coming. No two schools in the ACC will move together at this point in time. Even with whispers of MD getting out for less than $25 million, no two schools will move yet. Now if the BiG sends out 3-4 invites they can get some of their better targets, but no one is leaving without at least two friends right now.
With that being the case, the Big is close to issuing invites to UVA, GT, BC, and UNC. That puts them at 18 with no plans of stopping there. Fox wants Notre Dame. The BiG wants ND. A 20 team BiG that included ND would have FOX paying nearly $600 million per year for Tier1(including CCG) rights-close to $30 million per team not counting Tier 2, Bowl payouts, playoffs, and BTN.
So assuming ND is 19, Who is 20?
Here's a list of who has told the BiG “NO”: Texas
Here's a list of who has told them “probably Not”: Kansas
Here's who remains that have been in talks of some type...

Uconn-would jump in a BigEast minute

Duke-would love to stay with big brother

Cuse-don't count them out

Pitt-nope

Wake-nope

Navy-Laugh if you will but do not count them out as a dark horse even with having MD, the midshipmen are a national name with a national following

Clemson-very unlikey

Miami-has possibly a better chance than...

FSU-not going to sugarcoat it here, FSU wants the BiG bad...real bad. So bad that their president has created a plan to reach AAU status within 5-7 years in hopes it will be enough to convince the BiG to take them as well. The SEC has already told them no. If they can get a BiG offer they believe an SEC offer will follow then watch the drama!

Where does this leave the Big12? Fox is driving that bus too so no worries guys. If we happen to not land FSU there are still great pickings left from the group of NCST, VT, Clemson, Miami, Pitt, and the rest. Unfortunately the Big12 is not in quite the same position as the SEC and BiG. We will have to wait for the leavings...
EDIT------------------
I left out a big one...the NCAA will give a 20 team conference an extra game(semi-final) and it could allow for any conference with at least 10 teams to have a CCG as well(Delaney's own words). Lots going on in the shadows there. I'll keep you posted

Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,272,770 times
FSU isn't close to AAU status and with funding in Florida will never get it.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,862,187 times
Just shows how desperate B1G is (like ND) to access the bountiful football talent the South has to offer.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,862,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Plus Clemson's win over LSU. If Miami returns to prominence next year and Cuse builds upon its successful season, ACC football could very well be exciting next fall.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,877,834 times
A 20 team conference is a bad idea. An 18 team conference is a bad idea. A 16 tear conference is a bad idea. How do these conferences expect to build rivalries when a team can go 4 or 5 years without playing another from a different division within their conference.

I understand these moves are all about the money. But if I were a Big Ten fan, I would not be pleased knowing that there will be big gaps between teams playing one another. If I were a player, I would be a big annoyed I may not ever get to play at the Big House, or the Horse Shoe.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,344,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
FSU isn't close to AAU status and with funding in Florida will never get it.
This.

FSU isn't making AAU status anytime soon.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,705,831 times
Big 12 Football: Does the Big 12 Really Want to Expand? | Bleacher Report

Old 01-19-2013, 08:55 AM

6,349 posts, read 8,389,809 times
Precisely.

This is why the Big 12 rejected FSU and Clemson earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football