U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 09:59 PM

23,304 posts, read 11,547,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The issue is the Big 12 doesnt want FSU and Clemson. These teams were on their knees begging to be accepted into the Big 12, and the Big 12 turned them away. Not sure what has changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Source? Or more nonsense?
the ACC as a conference made 50 million more than the Big 12 did. Not sure what the argument would be for Clemson or FSU to be on their knees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 10:52 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,345,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
the ACC as a conference made 50 million more than the Big 12 did. Not sure what the argument would be for Clemson or FSU to be on their knees.
What was payout per school?

College Football's Most Valuable Teams: Texas Longhorns On Top, Notre Dame Falls - Forbes

FSU and Clemson will see life differently once Big and SEC raid ACC don't ya think?

Old 01-21-2013, 11:48 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Oh really now?

So how much do schools in each conference make?

Last I checked The Big 12 made a few million more per year, plus tier 3 revenue.

Did something change over the last few hours? Because as of this morning the ACC made chump change.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,882,570 times
The only reason I would like to see the Big 12 expand is so they can have a title game again. Other than that, it will hard to get excited for Clemson-Iowa State games.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The only reason I would like to see the Big 12 expand is so they can have a title game again. Other than that, it will hard to get excited for Clemson-Iowa State games.
BIG 12 east bro.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM
JJG

13,248 posts, read 19,187,305 times
Quote:
Hello no to the last 3.

Anyone have a source for that meeting date?

Nvm, googled. Big 12 commissioner: League could be 'proactive' in expansion - CBSSports.com
That's why I said WAAAAAAAY outside chance.

Besides, UTEP and UTSA may end up part of the surviving Mountain West and Notre Dame will be so stubborn to stay indy.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:59 PM

5,413 posts, read 7,712,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
- FSU
- Clemson

(Outside chances)

- BYU
- Houston/Rice
- Air Force
- Boise State [football only]
- Tulane
- Memphis
- SMU

(WAAAAAY outside chances)

- UTEP
- UTSA
- Notre Dame
Again, if you're gonna add the Houston/Rice's/UTEP's of the world, let's just throw in Tulsa too and have only teams from the Southwest (Oklahoma/Texas) in the conference. (Call it the South Central Conference or something like that.) Kick out everybody else. Obviously not happening.

The legit prospects (big enough fan base and large enough stadium capacity) that the Big XII should go after (no Western teams, sorry BYU = no regional rivals) are the following, in order in terms of value:

Florida State
Virginia Tech
Clemson
NC State
Georgia Tech
Miami
USF

***make a last effort pitch to Louisville and Pitt, also.

Any combination of 2-4-6 above added to the current ten teams in the Big XII would make for a very powerful conference. I'm guessing the Big XII powers that be (stupid presidents/AD's), however, are too money hungry to split the pie at all or they would have already done it.

The Big XII is trying to survive on Oklahoma/Texas' brand and tradition. It will only last so long and before you know it, expansion and realignment will have totally passed the Big XII by, leaving the teams to scramble into other conferences. (I pray that OU/Texas don't end up in the B1G! Anything but that. PAC would also be ridiculous. SEC a little less so.)

Bowlsby better get it together or he's gonna end up looking just as stupid as our last commissioner....who let Nebraska (NEBRASKA!!!) and A&M get away.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Again, if you're gonna add the Houston/Rice's/UTEP's of the world, let's just throw in Tulsa too and have only teams from the Southwest (Oklahoma/Texas) in the conference. (Call it the South Central Conference or something like that.) Kick out everybody else. Obviously not happening.

The legit prospects (big enough fan base and large enough stadium capacity) that the Big XII should go after (no Western teams, sorry BYU = no regional rivals) are the following, in order in terms of value:

Florida State
Virginia Tech
Clemson
NC State
Georgia Tech
Miami
USF

Any combination of 2-4-6 above added to the current ten teams in the Big XII would make for a very powerful conference. I'm guessing the Big XII powers that be (stupid presidents/AD's), however, are too money hungry to split the pie at all or they would have already done it.

The Big XII is trying to survive on Oklahoma/Texas' brand and tradition. It will only last so long and before you know it, expansion and realignment will have totally passed the Big XII by, leaving the teams to scramble into other conferences. (I pray that OU/Texas don't end up in the B1G! Anything but that. PAC would also be ridiculous. SEC a little less so.)

Bowlsby better get it together or he's gonna end up looking just as stupid as our last commissioner....who let Nebraska (NEBRASKA!!!) and A&M get away.
Keep Oklahoma thanks. If we're going to be further splitting down revenue, it better be worth it. The rivalries will take a hit anyways. Kansas maybe. Their bln endowment and AAU status is an added plus. We'll gladly take UT with open arms. Whip that Longhorn network into compliance. UT is lucky there aren't any real schools in that area to smack some sense into them. Longhorns are bullies. That's why they're in this mess.

Actually, UT+UNC and I'll be happy for the SEC to stay as is forever.
Same with BIG. UVA + Tech. UVA + ND. UVA + Duke.

Chances of Duke and UNC splitting are close to none though. NCSU would get caught in the way too.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

Florida State
Virginia Tech
Clemson
NC State
Georgia Tech
Miami
USF

Replace FSU would VT and I would agree about the value of the teams.

Nebraska was a big mess up, but Texas A&M was due to UT. The schools have always been rivals, and not just in sports. They are downright hostile to each other, I used to work in the Texas Capital, and they would fight to redistribute money to their school. UT vs A&M is like the Democrats vs the Republicans in the house. They often loathe each other. Throw in the fact that A&M has a chip on its shoulder when it comes to UT. Longhorns network was too much for them. Financially and football wise going to the SEC might be a good move for them, but they made the move to spite UT, and not for any practical reason.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Keep Oklahoma thanks. If we're going to be further splitting down revenue, it better be worth it. The rivalries will take a hit anyways. Kansas maybe. Their bln endowment and AAU status is an added plus. We'll gladly take UT with open arms. Whip that Longhorn network into compliance. UT is lucky there aren't any real schools in that area to smack some sense into them. Longhorns are bullies. That's why they're in this mess.

Actually, UT+UNC and I'll be happy for the SEC to stay as is forever.
Same with BIG. UVA + Tech. UVA + ND. UVA + Duke.

Chances of Duke and UNC splitting are close to none though. NCSU would get caught in the way too.
UT is not going to the SEC. The SEC's strategy now is to control the market by having one team in a state. That is all they need. They can be on every tv in a state with one school, so adding another school in a state they are already in doesnt really bring them anything. I would guess North Carolina and Virginia is where they would go next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football