U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,947,382 times
Reputation: 1357

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Yep, other than the fact FSU and Clemson begged to get in there is nothing. Hell even the board of both schools said they should join, along with the couches, and the fans. Everyone knows they were on their knees willing to do anything and were rejected. Once they were rejected they pretended they never wanted in, it was very funny. At this point even you know it is true. I for one would have let them in, but unfortunately for FSU and Clemson I have no say in the Big 12.
Again, links you don't have because it never happened. What did happen...
According to FSU President, he gave a list that pretty much trashes the idea of a move to the Big 12.
Statement from Florida State president Eric Barron on ACC alignment - ESPN
According to Texas AD, "there was no conversations between the Big 12 and FSU."
Dodds: 'No conversations between Florida State and the Big 12' - Yahoo! Sports

That's it... no "begging on knees" which you make up.

The reality is we could have our pick of any conference if we wanted out of the ACC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey
What was payout per school?
From the TV deal they make 17.1 mil/team. This equates for 14 teams in the league. Equal revenue sharing. The more teams the Big 12 add (or any other conference for that matter), the less they pay out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc
UT is not going to the SEC. The SEC's strategy now is to control the market by having one team in a state. That is all they need. They can be on every tv in a state with one school, so adding another school in a state they are already in doesnt really bring them anything. I would guess North Carolina and Virginia is where they would go next.
They are already on every TV. SEC is partnered with CBS and have their 3:30 game nationally televised. No one knows what the SEC's strategy in expanding was/is. My guess is Texas A&M was brought in because of their history and ties to old rivalries. Mizzou was just needed to fill a 14 team conference and they were easy pickings to bring in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA..don't go to GSU
1,110 posts, read 1,345,189 times
Reputation: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
UT is not going to the SEC. The SEC's strategy now is to control the market by having one team in a state. That is all they need. They can be on every tv in a state with one school, so adding another school in a state they are already in doesnt really bring them anything. I would guess North Carolina and Virginia is where they would go next.
The SEC network is really when sh*t will hit the fan for the SEC. Tons of $$$.

I guess you're right. It's either UNC, Duke or VT. I'm so sure B1G is going for UVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,396,460 times
Reputation: 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Again, links you don't have because it never happened. What did happen...
According to FSU President, he gave a list that pretty much trashes the idea of a move to the Big 12.
Statement from Florida State president Eric Barron on ACC alignment - ESPN
According to Texas AD, "there was no conversations between the Big 12 and FSU."
Dodds: 'No conversations between Florida State and the Big 12' - Yahoo! Sports

That's it... no "begging on knees" which you make up.

The reality is we could have our pick of any conference if we wanted out of the ACC.


From the TV deal they make 17.1 mil/team. This equates for 14 teams in the league. Equal revenue sharing. The more teams the Big 12 add (or any other conference for that matter), the less they pay out.


They are already on every TV. SEC is partnered with CBS and have their 3:30 game nationally televised. No one knows what the SEC's strategy in expanding was/is. My guess is Texas A&M was brought in because of their history and ties to old rivalries. Mizzou was just needed to fill a 14 team conference and they were easy pickings to bring in.
This has already been proven a million times over. FSU and Clemson tried to get into the Big 12 and when they were rejected, they then acted like they never wanted to leave the ACC. They werent literally on their knees, but they were desperate to get into the Big 12. They never admit they were talking to each other until a team is ready to leave. It is similar to how you dont go around the place you work telling your boss you are interviewing with another company or if you are cheating on your spouse you dont tell them. Once you are ready to leave then you tell them, until then you are faithful *wink* *wink*

Some statement about how they want to stay in the ACC is pointless. UMD also made an ACC solitary statement and how they loved it, and then jumped ship as soon as they can. FSU and Clemson only want in the ACC, and are loyal to the ACC, until something better comes along.

The reality is FSU DOESNT have its pick of conferences if it wanted out of the ACC. Off the bat the SEC wont take you. I am sorry to burst this delusion if you thought you had a chance in the SEC. Look at my post for why they wont take you. They dont need FSU and already have a team in Florida. You offer them nothing. Lets just get rid of the PAC too because they are probanly too far away for FSU to make any sense. Now we are left with the B1G and the Big 12. FSU is not a good fit for the B1G, and it doesnt have the academics to get into the B1G, and unlike the ACC the B1G does care about academics. You understand right, you were touting ACC academics right up until they accepted Lville, so just take your old argument that you used to throw around, until you stopped using it because it was no longer true, and apply it to FSU and the B1G. FInally even if you had the academics, and the cultural fit, you would be way out of the way, remember you used to argue geography too until it become apparent you would need to change conference. On top of all of this the B1G doesnt FSU. So with them gone that leaves the Big 12. Big 12 is actually a good cultural fit for FSU, and the location is better than the rest, except the SEC, but there is still a problem. Big 12 doesnt want FSU either. So if the Big 12 changed its mind you would have a shot with them, but that is the only conference you could upgrade to at this time and the foreseeable future. This is REAL talk, and not some delusion you have about everyone wanting FSU. You could always downgrade to an even worse conference than the ACC like the Big East or the Sunbelt, they would love to have FSU, but FSU wants to upgrade.

Finally, adding more teams doesnt necessarily mean less revenue. You had the first part right, diving the revenue by a higher number means less revenue per school, BUT that is based off revenue being constant. Bringing in new teams INCREASES revenue. The reason the Big 12 makes more money than the ACC is not because they have less teams, but rather people want to watch Big 12 football. Nobody wants to watch ACC football. That is why conferences expand, to make MORE money. It is why the ACC expanded, and it is why the ACC is going to get raided. It is also why the Big 12 rejected FSU and Clemson. Last summer the Big 12 came to the conclusion that FSU and Clemson would not increase revenue enough, perhaps even decreasing it, to justify adding them. That is why you are stuck in the ACC. I would be in favor of adding FSU to the Big 12 if they increase conference revenue enough that every team makes $1 million per year. Anything less and I am against it. Nothing personal against FSU, they would make a good addition, but it is the money that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 AM
 
5,507 posts, read 9,279,734 times
Reputation: 2289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Again, links you don't have because it never happened. What did happen...
According to FSU President, he gave a list that pretty much trashes the idea of a move to the Big 12.
Statement from Florida State president Eric Barron on ACC alignment - ESPN
According to Texas AD, "there was no conversations between the Big 12 and FSU."
Dodds: 'No conversations between Florida State and the Big 12' - Yahoo! Sports

That's it... no "begging on knees" which you make up.

The reality is we could have our pick of any conference if we wanted out of the ACC.


From the TV deal they make 17.1 mil/team. This equates for 14 teams in the league. Equal revenue sharing. The more teams the Big 12 add (or any other conference for that matter), the less they pay out.


They are already on every TV. SEC is partnered with CBS and have their 3:30 game nationally televised. No one knows what the SEC's strategy in expanding was/is. My guess is Texas A&M was brought in because of their history and ties to old rivalries. Mizzou was just needed to fill a 14 team conference and they were easy pickings to bring in.
SEC and B10 would want nothing to do with FSU. You might be able to get into the Big 12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,360,185 times
Reputation: 1219
I think FSU should focus their energy on trying to make the ACC a better football conference. What other choice does it have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 03:56 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,396,460 times
Reputation: 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I think FSU should focus their energy on trying to make the ACC a better football conference. What other choice does it have?
FSU is focusing on that. The problem is most of the ACC isn't. They are a decent enough team but they can't carry the conference. That is why FSU tried to leave for the Big 12 along with Clemson. They were tired of Tobacco road calling the shots and putting football on the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,947,382 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
This has already been proven a million times over. FSU and Clemson tried to get into the Big 12 and when they were rejected, they then acted like they never wanted to leave the ACC. They werent literally on their knees, but they were desperate to get into the Big 12. They never admit they were talking to each other until a team is ready to leave. It is similar to how you dont go around the place you work telling your boss you are interviewing with another company or if you are cheating on your spouse you dont tell them. Once you are ready to leave then you tell them, until then you are faithful *wink* *wink*
Again, links which you cannot show. I not only posted our response to the rumors. I posted Texas (i.e. WVU and the rest of the Big 12 teams' BOSS) response to the rumors, who claimed no talks ever occured.

Quote:
Some statement about how they want to stay in the ACC is pointless. UMD also made an ACC solitary statement and how they loved it, and then jumped ship as soon as they can. FSU and Clemson only want in the ACC, and are loyal to the ACC, until something better comes along.
Just like when we turned down the SEC

Maryland showed signs of wanting out prior. Their staff was talking about wanting to move out. They voted against the exit fee. When the door opened, they exited.

Quote:
The reality is FSU DOESNT have its pick of conferences if it wanted out of the ACC. Off the bat the SEC wont take you. I am sorry to burst this delusion if you thought you had a chance in the SEC. Look at my post for why they wont take you. They dont need FSU and already have a team in Florida. You offer them nothing. Lets just get rid of the PAC too because they are probanly too far away for FSU to make any sense. Now we are left with the B1G and the Big 12. FSU is not a good fit for the B1G, and it doesnt have the academics to get into the B1G, and unlike the ACC the B1G does care about academics. You understand right, you were touting ACC academics right up until they accepted Lville, so just take your old argument that you used to throw around, until you stopped using it because it was no longer true, and apply it to FSU and the B1G. FInally even if you had the academics, and the cultural fit, you would be way out of the way, remember you used to argue geography too until it become apparent you would need to change conference. On top of all of this the B1G doesnt FSU. So with them gone that leaves the Big 12. Big 12 is actually a good cultural fit for FSU, and the location is better than the rest, except the SEC, but there is still a problem. Big 12 doesnt want FSU either. So if the Big 12 changed its mind you would have a shot with them, but that is the only conference you could upgrade to at this time and the foreseeable future. This is REAL talk, and not some delusion you have about everyone wanting FSU. You could always downgrade to an even worse conference than the ACC like the Big East or the Sunbelt, they would love to have FSU, but FSU wants to upgrade.
We don't fit with the Big 12 either. Sit in the Big 12 (East) and have an way easier road than the current ACC... yeah that goes over well for boosters/ticket sales/etc.

We didn't want in the SEC then so why now. If we were given another (key word) invite, we would be slotted in the SEC West. Pretty much every game tough, esp given with rivalry with UF and Miami each year. Extremely brutal. It's why we didn't accept it then and most likely would not accept it today.

Quote:
Finally, adding more teams doesnt necessarily mean less revenue. You had the first part right, diving the revenue by a higher number means less revenue per school, BUT that is based off revenue being constant. Bringing in new teams INCREASES revenue. The reason the Big 12 makes more money than the ACC is not because they have less teams, but rather people want to watch Big 12 football. Nobody wants to watch ACC football.
They rather watch Big 12 football? I guess you didn't see Week 4, which saw FSU play Clemson and Oklahoma play Kansas State. Yes, the week the Big 12 played it's best two teams and the week the ACC played it's best two teams. Both games played at the same time. TV Ratings...
Clemson/FSU - 2.9
OK/KSt - 1.8

Big 12 total tv ratings this season weren't that great (outside the non-conference matchup of Oklahoma vs Notre Dame).

Quote:
FSU is focusing on that. The problem is most of the ACC isn't. They are a decent enough team but they can't carry the conference. That is why FSU tried to leave for the Big 12 along with Clemson. They were tired of Tobacco road calling the shots and putting football on the side.
So Tobacco Road called the shots to take in Louisville... I think it had more to do with schools outside of Tobacco Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 PM
 
363 posts, read 618,320 times
Reputation: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
A 20 team conference is a bad idea. An 18 team conference is a bad idea. A 16 tear conference is a bad idea. How do these conferences expect to build rivalries when a team can go 4 or 5 years without playing another from a different division within their conference.

I understand these moves are all about the money. But if I were a Big Ten fan, I would not be pleased knowing that there will be big gaps between teams playing one another. If I were a player, I would be a big annoyed I may not ever get to play at the Big House, or the Horse Shoe.
As a big Ten fan and a Nebraska fan i do think it is dumb to go to 16. It gets rid of so many rivalries. I mean now in the B1G you are going to have Maryland and Rutgers in the conference, but I don't think it'll be that great. From what i've heard, they will both be in the leaders division (Illinois has been rumored to move to the legends,....ugh I'd rather play Wisconsin. There's starting to be some bad blood after the title game. ) Sure they will be able to play in the horse shoe, but they won't get to see the Big House or the Sea of Red that often, and those are the best stadiums in college fb. 16 is just to big to have a conference. Its like having two conferences and that never works (the WAC in the 90's tried 16 teams and that failed).

Also, I know i'm a purist, but as a Nebraska fan I wish we could have stayed in the Big 12 just for nostalgia's sake. The only thing I would have changed would have been making everyone have a designated rival. It would have been easy in the old Big 12. You'd have NU play OKU, Texas could play Colorado, K-State vs A&M , Mizzou vs TxTech, Kansas vs Okie State, and ISU vs Baylor. Of course I blame Oklahoma and texas for killing the NU OKU rivalry (I almost wonder if OU was scared to play the Huskers in the 90's once the Big 12 was formed, granted I think Nebraska probably had the same feeling in the Billy C era). Of course that will never be and I do like that Nebraska is in the Big 10, its just i'd like some old rivals like a Mizzou or Kansas or even K-State though they will never big even considered for the Big Ten
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,396,460 times
Reputation: 1769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Again, links which you cannot show. I not only posted our response to the rumors. I posted Texas (i.e. WVU and the rest of the Big 12 teams' BOSS) response to the rumors, who claimed no talks ever occured.


Just like when we turned down the SEC

Maryland showed signs of wanting out prior. Their staff was talking about wanting to move out. They voted against the exit fee. When the door opened, they exited.


We don't fit with the Big 12 either. Sit in the Big 12 (East) and have an way easier road than the current ACC... yeah that goes over well for boosters/ticket sales/etc.

We didn't want in the SEC then so why now. If we were given another (key word) invite, we would be slotted in the SEC West. Pretty much every game tough, esp given with rivalry with UF and Miami each year. Extremely brutal. It's why we didn't accept it then and most likely would not accept it today.


They rather watch Big 12 football? I guess you didn't see Week 4, which saw FSU play Clemson and Oklahoma play Kansas State. Yes, the week the Big 12 played it's best two teams and the week the ACC played it's best two teams. Both games played at the same time. TV Ratings...
Clemson/FSU - 2.9
OK/KSt - 1.8

Big 12 total tv ratings this season weren't that great (outside the non-conference matchup of Oklahoma vs Notre Dame).


So Tobacco Road called the shots to take in Louisville... I think it had more to do with schools outside of Tobacco Road.
Quote:
Again, links which you cannot show. I not only posted our response to the rumors. I posted Texas (i.e. WVU and the rest of the Big 12 teams' BOSS) response to the rumors, who claimed no talks ever occured.
And I showed links showing how FSU and Clemson tried to get in. However, you are kinda right there were no talks. FSU and Clemson tried to start them, but UT was not interested.

Like I said an unfaithful wife doesnt tell her husband she tried to cheat on him.

Quote:
Just like when we turned down the SEC

Maryland showed signs of wanting out prior. Their staff was talking about wanting to move out. They voted against the exit fee. When the door opened, they exited.
Yep, that was a mistake, because no you cant get into the SEC and the ACC is falling apart. You are college educated you should really be smarter, or perhaps you dont know Football. Things were VERY different 15 years ago, the BCS hadnt started yet, and the SEC was just another normal conference. FSU was also one of the best teams in the country. Granted FSU didn't know the SEC was going to be succesful and the ACC would fail.

Now SEC no longer wants FSU. This has been explained to you several times by many different posters. Everyone who knows CB knows SEC is not going to get FSU. Either you dont really believe this and are arguing some stupid argument, are ignorant of CB, or dont have a good grip on reality.

Quote:
We don't fit with the Big 12 either. Sit in the Big 12 (East) and have an way easier road than the current ACC... yeah that goes over well for boosters/ticket sales/etc.
Culturally you do kinda fit with the Big 12, geographically you wouldnt, BUT you are pinning your hopes on the B1G taking you, which is even further travel.

The issue the ACC is no longer viable. After the B1G and SEC get done raiding you FSU is going to make less money, and football will even be weaker. Yeah that goes over well for boosters/ticket sales/etc. In fact your program is losing money and has been in the red due to how little the ACC pays. You make less, so it actually does make sense on all financial levels.

Quote:
We didn't want in the SEC then so why now. If we were given another (key word) invite, we would be slotted in the SEC West. Pretty much every game tough, esp given with rivalry with UF and Miami each year. Extremely brutal. It's why we didn't accept it then and most likely would not accept it today.
You didnt want to play in the SEC over a decade ago when they were just another conference, the BCS hadnt started, realignment had not started, you were a really good team, you made good money, Miami had not fallen apart, the FSU wasnt losing money, and the ACC was not about to be raided. So why would you want in now. Gee why would you? Really, you need me to explain it? You made a mistake. It was like investing in blimps over airplanes. At the time it was an uncertain decision. Now it isnt. Now FSU would not turn down an SEC offer or an offer from any better conference. The problem is nobody will take you.

Quote:
They rather watch Big 12 football? I guess you didn't see Week 4, which saw FSU play Clemson and Oklahoma play Kansas State. Yes, the week the Big 12 played it's best two teams and the week the ACC played it's best two teams. Both games played at the same time. TV Ratings...
Clemson/FSU - 2.9
OK/KSt - 1.8


The problem is nobody cares about ACC football. That is why you dont make any money, and everyone is trying to get out including FSU.

Quote:
So Tobacco Road called the shots to take in Louisville... I think it had more to do with schools outside of Tobacco Road.
Yep, it was tobacco road. They finally realized they are in trouble and need to improve the football profile of the ACC. Lville was WAY too little WAY too late. If you were hoping Lville would save the ACC you were very mistaken. That boat sailed a long time ago.

Quote:
Again, links which you cannot show. I not only posted our response to the rumors. I posted Texas (i.e. WVU and the rest of the Big 12 teams' BOSS) response to the rumors, who claimed no talks ever occured.
Links were shown to you that you just ignored. Again BOSS teams dont admit they were talking, if they are, until one is ready to leave. A statement from a team on this issue is about as reliable as a statement from North Korea on the condition of their country. You are the only person on this forum, that still believes any of this. In fact up to a few months ago you refused to believe the ACC was unstable. You showed all types of 'proof' nobody wanted to leave it. Then what happens? UMD leaves. You also believed that the ACC was about culture, rivalries, and academics right up until Lville joined. You have a track record about being wrong about everything.

The worst part is when you are wrong you just drop it and pretended it never happened. Let's say FSU did join the Big 12. Suddenly you would be all about the Big 12, bashing the ACC, pretending this was always your stance. You would probably even say, "gee I am happy but the SEC would have been better." So much for your FSU didnt want in the SEC.

I understand you want to support your team. However, you dont need to be delusional and blindly support the ACC to do this. FSU is a good team, and deserves better than the ACC. Most FSU fans want out. I am perplexed on why you want to stay in it. You are losing money, and not be taken seriously in football. I understand FSU is probably trapped in the ACC, but you dont need to pretend the ACC is something good just because you probably cant upgrade to something better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 AM
 
1,455 posts, read 2,865,252 times
Reputation: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Maryland showed signs of wanting out prior. Their staff was talking about wanting to move out. They voted against the exit fee. When the door opened, they exited.
The top administrators at the University of Maryland System are from B1G. These administrators brought in Wallace Loh from the University of Iowa to become President of University of Maryland College Park for the primary purpose of moving the school to B1G.

Contrary to what was reported in the media, the financial crisis at Maryland's athletic department wasn't as severe as stated. Most of the debt was long term in nature, and there was enough funds to pay principal plus interest. The real issue is why the athletic department wasn't very successful in its fund raising activities, in light of the fact that the school just successfully completed its campaign to raise $1 billion? I get the impression that the "crisis" was fabricated. The B1G administrators wanted access to CIC and the research dollars associated with being a CIC member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top