U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,869,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
The problem is nobody cares about ACC football. That is why you dont make any money, and everyone is trying to get out including FSU.
The problem with the ACC is that it has a commissioner who is not capable of running a conference successfully in this cutthroat era of college football, just like former Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese. Swofford was one step ahead of Tranghese but is two steps behind Slive, Scott and Delaney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 AM

6,349 posts, read 8,409,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
The top administrators at the University of Maryland System are from B1G. These administrators brought in Wallace Loh from the University of Iowa to become President of University of Maryland College Park for the primary purpose of moving the school to B1G.

Contrary to what was reported in the media, the financial crisis at Maryland's athletic department wasn't as severe as stated. Most of the debt was long term in nature, and there was enough funds to pay principal plus interest. The real issue is why the athletic department wasn't very successful in its fund raising activities, in light of the fact that the school just successfully completed its campaign to raise $1 billion? I get the impression that the "crisis" was fabricated. The B1G administrators wanted access to CIC and the research dollars associated with being a CIC member.
FSU also voted against the increased exit fee.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
The problem with the ACC is that it has a commissioner who is not capable of running a conference successfully in this cutthroat era of college football, just like former Big East Commissioner Mike Tranghese. Swofford was one step ahead of Tranghese but is two steps behind Slive, Scott and Delaney.
He made poor choices for expansion. I cant find him for brining in Miami at the time, but BC? Then when the conference was in trouble they brought in Syracuse and Pitt?

Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,869,612 times
Quote:
FSU also voted against the increased exit fee.
FSU voted against the higher fee because it thought the increase was punitive. Maryland, otoh, already had plans to move at the time of the vote.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
FSU voted against the higher fee because it thought the increase was punitive. Maryland, otoh, already had plans to move at the time of the vote.
Of course they voted against it. They are trying to leave.but yeah they thought it was punitive . Whatever they say.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:54 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,364,601 times
Quote:
FSU is focusing on that. The problem is most of the ACC isn't. They are a decent enough team but they can't carry the conference. That is why FSU tried to leave for the Big 12 along with Clemson. They were tired of Tobacco road calling the shots and putting football on the side.
I think the Big 12 takes a chance and takes both schools. Looking at the landscape who else could the Big 12 in reality get that are better than either school?

Louisville?
Houston?
Air Force?
SMU?

Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 PM

5,417 posts, read 7,725,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I think the Big 12 takes a chance and takes both schools. Looking at the landscape who else could the Big 12 in reality get that are better than either school?

Louisville?
Houston?
Air Force?
SMU?
Virginia Tech and NC State should definitely be considered by the Big XII to round the eastern rivals for West Virginia. Both will be courted by the SEC soon enough when North Carolina says thanks but no thanks to Slive.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 PM

I don't think Big 12 needs to expand.

Only if it helps secure the conference from future raids.

If they did need to expand than VT is a must grab. SEC is rumored to be interested in them. Big 12 will get sloppy thirds after SEC and B1G.

Still would prefer to stay at 10 if possible.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 PM

5,417 posts, read 7,725,164 times
Quote:
I don't think Big 12 needs to expand.

Only if it helps secure the conference from future raids.

If they did need to expand than VT is a must grab. SEC is rumored to be interested in them. Big 12 will get sloppy thirds after SEC and B1G.

Still would prefer to stay at 10 if possible.
I hear ya.

Looking down the corridor of time, however, the Big XII is pretty much guaranteeing that it will not be a conference in the future (in the next 20 yrs or so) if it chooses not to expand. While making more money now sounds great to the 10 members of the Big XII, eventually we're gonna get left in the dust if we don't expand at some point.....and if Bowlsby is reactive instead of proactive, we will really have to lower our standards to fill out the 12/14/16 team roster.

After the grant of rights runs its course, OU and Texas will be shopping around and the Big XII would go belly up for good. I would prefer to add teams now (like the other major conferences B1G/SEC/PAC) and at least get to 12 or 14. I'm not holding my breath though. The Big XII brass has shown its foolery on several occasions.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:37 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,364,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Virginia Tech and NC State should definitely be considered by the Big XII to round the eastern rivals for West Virginia. Both will be courted by the SEC soon enough when North Carolina says thanks but no thanks to Slive.
IMO, I think that.....

Va Tech and UVA go Big Ten as a package deal.

UNC and NC State are SEC bound as a package deal.

The Big Ten gets the prized DC market, and the SEC expands into North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football