U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 PM

23,296 posts, read 11,538,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The Big XII should swing for the fence and try to add 4: Virginia Tech, FSU, Clemson, and NC State (if one of these won't come along then go back hard to get Louisville before it officially joins ACC). That would give the Big XII teams all up and down the eastern seaboard of the South, as well as much closer rivals for West Virginia. Great recruiting and great fanbases. If the Big XII does not expand to the east, then the West Virginia addition makes ZERO sense. Hopefully this was all by design by Bowlsby & Co. and they're just waiting for the right time to be proactive (how 'bout now!).

After going to 14, the Big XII could potentially wait for BYU and possibly Notre Dame in the future to round out the conference with two big programs. These teams listed (+ G-Tech and Miami, to a much lesser extent and USF) give the Big XII the best chance of positioning itself as one of the Big Dogs in the future. No other teams are legitimate revenue builders, and the ones that are have already wisely been scooped up by the other Big 3 = PAC/SEC/B1G.

If Bowlsby & Big XII stand pat, then all Big XII fans need to prepare themselves for a perpetual drift of the conference into mediocrity as the grant of rights plays out. After the grant of rights, Oklahoma and Texas will be in the PAC. And it's goodbye Big XII.

I never thought of it that way but, you make alot of sense. Adding West Virginia only makes sense if they are planning an eastward expansion.

My only problem with that is simply why wait so long ? something must be up with their contracts for them to be waiting so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 06:07 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,344,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I never thought of it that way but, you make alot of sense. Adding West Virginia only makes sense if they are planning an eastward expansion.

My only problem with that is simply why wait so long ? something must be up with their contracts for them to be waiting so long.
The Longhorn network. That's why.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 PM

203 posts, read 278,062 times
Here is my newest long term fix to the mess they are making of college football conferences…

Some of the latest realignment moves have ruined any chance of having new and improved conferences that respect traditional rivalries or conference identities that are consistent across the BCS level. However there has been some interesting negotiations going on behind the scenes on organizational levels that could eventually lead to corrections in the realignment blunders. Specifically I mean the prevailing option of conference alliances.

The associations that conferences have with each other seem to be a natural out-growth from Bowl affiliations. BigTen-Pac12 in the Rose Bowl, SEC-BigXII in the cotton bowl, etc. Recently The SEC-BigXII affiliation was further solidified in the “Champions Bowl,” and the BigTen-Pac12 were in negotiations for scheduling agreements and perhaps a Cable Network association (ultimately fell through this time). These associations also happen to coincide with cultural similarities (academics, etc) and traditional football rivalries.

-----My proposal is this:
What if these conference alliances come to fruition (over several years, or decades) and create two BCS level SUPER LEAGUES.

The process is rather simple actually.It would begin with the two ideas for alliances that have been discussed already. First the BigXII would need to merge with either the ACC or the SEC (lets say they go with the SEC and form a 24 team Super League).
The big catalyst would be the BigTen-Pac12 alliance, because they would presumably add a couple ACC and/or BigEast schools as well in an attempt to get Notre Dame to join the League as a Full member. Such a league could guarantee Notre Dame every major rivalry as a guaranteed yearly matchup. USC & Standford from the Pac12 - Mich, MSU. & Purdue from the BigTen – Add BC, and Pitt from the ACC – Add Navy from the BigEast.

The BigTen-Pac12 merger (along with the additions of BC, Pitt, Navy, and Notre Dame) would form a 30 team league. This would probably induce the SEC-BigXII super league to invite the remaining ACC teams into their league (leaving out the lone northern school of Syracuse) and they reach 35 teams. The two leagues could stand-pat at those numbers. They would have league semi-finals and league-finals producing champions that then meet for the national championship. However, there are still a handful of legitimate contenders (Boise, BYU, etc) that were not among the 60 super leagues teams, and a few others would have grips about occasionally being a top 8 team not involved. So rather than jumble the system to include non-super-league teams in the nation championship competition, the two leagues would be best served by simply expanding to 40 teams each. It is reasonable to say that no team that is considered outside the top-80 of the BCS legitimately could compete for a top 4 spot in the League Championship Tournament

Scheduling would be League-focused (10 league games each) with anticipation of premier teams matching up in inter-league bowls, and the national championship at the end of the season (as MLB used to be). By locking in 6 yearly rivalry games for each team (a few exceptions for schools like Notre Damn and Penn State) and a randomized scheduling of the other 4 games each year, it would produce a ton of great matchups within the each league, and be statistically significant in determining the top 4 teams from each league to set up the league tournaments. It also leaves 2 free games for inter-league and cupcakes.

Here are some pictures that summarize all of that, and further illustrate why it has some nice symmetry to it…
Sorry for the ridiculously long post…

the "1"'s were used to randomize a theoretical schedule after setting up the yearly rivalry games. follow either a row or a column to see a teams 10 league games.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times
Default No Expansion Means No Future of the Big XII After GofR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

If the Big XII Brass doesn't get off of its hands and expand soon, there won't be a Big XII conference after the Grant of Rights is over.

The following post pretty much sums it up. To the Big XII: Expand or Die.

big 12- Expand or Die? - CBSSports.com Message Boards

Old 02-16-2013, 10:28 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,344,668 times
jasomm, very well thought out plan. I don't agree with it, but props for all the hard work you put into that.

I don't think we'll have mega conferences. We'll only have super conferences. As long as I get the playoff system permanently, I'm ok

Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 AM

203 posts, read 278,062 times
@ ChefRamsey - Thanks. I dont think this will happen either, just an idea that takes a few realignment trends and commissioner sentiments from the last few years and projects it forward to something that could function well. I would actually much prefer several other options that are less likely to happen.

(Im not going overboard on this, I have a bunch of data and macro's saved from a 2005 project i did in grad school, and have kept it updated since then as I have been interested in all the changes.)

cheers

Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 AM

735 posts, read 951,027 times
Any information on GA Tech, Virginia to Big 10, FSU to SEC, etc?

Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,708,904 times
Judge denies Maryland’s motion to dismiss ACC lawsuit | CollegeFootballTalk

Old 02-19-2013, 03:44 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,275,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDResident View Post
Any information on GA Tech, Virginia to Big 10, FSU to SEC, etc?
UF will never allow FSU into the SEC just like USC won't let Clemson in.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:07 PM

735 posts, read 951,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
UF will never allow FSU into the SEC just like USC won't let Clemson in.
I definitely couldn't ever see Clemson in the SEC but I would think that Florida would be intelligent enough to realize that they would benefit from their in-state rival being in the same conference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football