U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,865,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Whatever the Big XII does, it MUST expand to the East if it wants to remain relevant and be a legitimate conference in 15 years. Otherwise, after the Grant of Rights is over the SEC/B1G/PAC will simply gobble up remaining teams. It seems like West Virginia and Oklahoma have been the most outspoken about wanting to expand. Hopefully, Oliver Luck and WV were promised some eastern partners eventually.....otherwise their presence in the conference makes no sense whatsoever. Let's hope these top level administrators/presidents/AD's in the Big XII are earning their keep by having this mapped out for the Big XII's future.

I can't stand it that the Big XII is the smallest major conference. I don't care about the round robin format; and, most Sooner and Texas fans I know don't either. We've gotta expand, get some balanced divisions, and start playing a conference championship game again (what we had long before B1G/PAC! in the first place). The Big XII has to get back on par with the other Big 3. Anything less will mean the Big XII's demise sometime within the next 12-15 years.
The problem is the people in charge of FSU, Georgia Tech and Clemson probably think the Big 12 is more unstable than the ACC. Otherwise I think those schools would have left the ACC by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 06:25 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,865,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Oklahoma is not an AAU member...
True, but the fact that B1G hasn't expelled Nebraska tells me that it wants to put out a quality football product.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:00 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,278,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
True, but the fact that B1G hasn't expelled Nebraska tells me that it wants to put out a quality football product.
Only Alabama has a following like Nebraska and even Bama doesn't have the entire state. No program willing to move can offer what Nebraska did.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,395,274 times
Quote:
The problem is the people in charge of FSU, Georgia Tech and Clemson probably think the Big 12 is more unstable than the ACC. Otherwise I think those schools would have left the ACC by now.
I too question the long term stability of the Big 12, but right now the ACC is much more unstable. Several teams are just waiting for an invitation to get out.

The Big 12 is probably watching what other conferences do before making a move. It is basically planning on getting sloppy thirds.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:39 PM

5,413 posts, read 7,712,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I too question the long term stability of the Big 12, but right now the ACC is much more unstable. Several teams are just waiting for an invitation to get out.

The Big 12 is probably watching what other conferences do before making a move. It is basically planning on getting sloppy thirds.

>>>>>
It is basically planning on getting sloppy thirds.
<<<<<

^^^
And this truth drives me nuts! How can a conference with two superpowers like Oklahoma and Texas be resorted to accept "sloppy thirds." Ridiculous.

I hope Bowlsby grows a pair and the Big XII gets aggressive and makes something of our conference before it's totally dead in the very near future.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:58 PM

489 posts, read 730,283 times
Quote:
They haven't left because of the ridiculous traveling costs, and not wanting to play second fiddle to Texas. Also dat dere 50 million dollar buyout.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:11 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,947,075 times
Quote:

Facts:
ACC has lost 1 team and gained 7 since 2000.
Big 12 has lost 4 teams and gained 2 since 2000.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,395,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Facts:
ACC has lost 1 team and gained 7 since 2000.
Big 12 has lost 4 teams and gained 2 since 2000.
12 years is irrelevant.

FACT: ACC just lost a team despite raising the exit fee to $50 million dollars and all the teams promising a commitment.

FACT: SEC, B1G, PAC, and even the Big 12 who lost 4 teams could raid the ACC right now.

FACT: You denied that the ACC could ever get raided, even one team.

FACT: You even admitted this and just want FSU to join the SEC, not ever going to happen, or the B1G, very small chance of that happening. At this point FSU would be lucky to get into the Big 12.

FACT: It is the ACC's turn.

FACT: Big 12 gets sloppy thirds.

ncopus I am sorry you dont like the situation. I dont blame you, but you have a track record of being wrong about these things. Like I told you a year ago these things take time to play out. You will see.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:58 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,414,413 times
I'd like to see the Big Ten grab UVa and UNC as #15 and #16 and really I wouldn't mind if they stopped there. If it happens, though, for #17 and #18, I'm not entirely sure. I'd like Mizzou, but that's probably not a realistic option, so #17 would probably be Georgia Tech and some possibilities for #18 might include Kansas or Duke.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,947,075 times
Quote:
12 years is irrelevant.

FACT: ACC just lost a team despite raising the exit fee to $50 million dollars and all the teams promising a commitment.
Big 12 lost teams after the Big 12 agreed to shared revenue. Who cares... Maryland has shown signs of wanting out for a while; just like Texas A&M showed.

Quote:
FACT: SEC, B1G, PAC, and even the Big 12 who lost 4 teams could raid the ACC right now.
Could? It is all rumors, none which have come true for 2 years now. Same story never pans out. The last "raiding" happened to the Big 12, when rumor was OK/Texas were heading to the Pac 12. But hey, deny history...

Quote:
FACT: You denied that the ACC could ever get raided, even one team.
1 team leaving to me doesn't equal a full raiding of a conference like you suggested. A full raiding is what appeared to be happening to the Big 12 when Colorado and Nebraska got pulled out. At that time, OK/Texas were extended offers by the Pac 12. Had they left, the conference would not exist today.

Quote:
FACT: You even admitted this and just want FSU to join the SEC, not ever going to happen, or the B1G, very small chance of that happening. At this point FSU would be lucky to get into the Big 12.
I don't want my school going anywhere. I live in ACC country so if my team went to another conference that would means less times I could see them near my home. Unlike you, I prefer conferences to keep their regional ties and rivalries.

Quote:
FACT: It is the ACC's turn.
Far from it. We raided the Big East again and have pulled in one of the most historic programs (Notre Dame i.e. the one Big 10 couldn't get). Guess what... even the "analysts" aren't rumoring crap at this point.

Quote:
FACT: Big 12 gets sloppy thirds.
If anyone is on watch, it is the Big 12. If the Big 12 can't get schools from east of the Mississippi River, I don't see your school WVU staying long. Think SDST and Boise St to the Big East. Schools will eventually give up on this "new" landscape as gas/other costs ramp up. Revenue from ESPN/Affliates can only go so high. Television is slowly moving to ala carte. Ala carte hurts these deals as there is no more guaranteed revenue.

Quote:
ncopus I am sorry you dont like the situation. I dont blame you, but you have a track record of being wrong about these things. Like I told you a year ago these things take time to play out. You will see.
Again, I like my team's situation. I get to see them play multiple times each year without having to track back to Tallahassee (which at least a day drive).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football