U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 11:44 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i think FSU and Clemson to the Big 12 is plausible. the ACC is probably looking less appealing to Florida State and Clemson, who are football schools that don't give a rip about recruiting in New York , New England, or Pennsylvania, and probably aren't too thrilled about the ACC's northward expansion. From a football perspective, both those teams would benefit tremendously from exposure in Texas.

The SEC might be a great fit for Clemson/FSU, but Clemson/FSU aren't a very good fit for the SEC.

The ideal SEC addition would bring in big money, big new markets, and exposure to a new recruiting area, but not necessarily a great football team. Sort of like A&M and Missouri. I would think that Virginia, Virginia Tech, UNC, or NC State would be more appealing to the SEC , than Clemson or FSU. I believe the SEC would jump at the chance to add North Carolina and Virginia to the footprint; I don't see UNC going anywhere, but I do think that the SEC could possibly convince NC State to pull a "texas a&m", and abandon its big brother UNC.

i suspect that this is the case, but it is really up to the individuals running the SEC. We can't say for sure what they will do.
Im in agreement with you on what the SEC wants... big NEW markets.

And of course none of us know for sure... so we are all just speculating

I just think they are looking to do it outside of any schools or markets associated with the ACC... which translate to continuing to look West or North. I just think the ACC & SEC bond seems to be stronger than expansion.

I would hate to see NC State in the SEC... either Virginia school would be cool though.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 02-13-2012 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Louisville to the Big 12?

Yes please.

Report: Oklahoma Is Interested in Big 12 Expansion

Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 AM

And here's another article:

Could Big 12 Add Another Team?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 AM

141 posts, read 280,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Louisville to the Big 12?

Yes please.

Report: Oklahoma Is Interested in Big 12 Expansion
Why would the Big 12 want crappy Louisville?

Old 02-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J152cc2 View Post
Why would the Big 12 want crappy Louisville?
Did you read the articles?

Basically the Big 12 needs to expand east so that West Virginia will have some regional rivalries and easier travel.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,378,972 times
It's funny to me how these teams are so concerned about travel. Smaller conference schools routinely have to travel all over the place for conference games, especially in the western states.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:48 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,111,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
It's funny to me how these teams are so concerned about travel. Smaller conference schools routinely have to travel all over the place for conference games, especially in the western states.
Exactly. Heck, the new "Big East" will have schools stretching from San Diego to Orlando to Connecticut.

I don't think travel is as big a deal as people make it out to be, but I do think that geographical proximity helps bind the strong conferences together.

I really think SDSU and Boise should reconsider the Big East and go back to the MWC.

And Clemson and Florida State, in my opinion, won't leave the ACC. Why would they go to a conference that already has OU and Texas? Clemson and Florida State ARE the OU and Texas of the ACC.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,740 times
I am inclined to agree with the above.

I am a UVA fan and ACC guy. One the one hand I know that FSU is in a whole nother league on a buncha levels, Clemson? Well......they have a monster fanbase (heh).

But seriously, ACC made HUGE buyout fines and is making a pretty penny on it's new TV deal.

On the one hand, I can understand some Tiger and Nole fans thinking they are "too big time" and "to be the best you gotta beat the best". It make sense in a red blooded sports competitiveness way.

On the other hand, you cannot argue with being top dog in an easier league meaning more regular chances in BCS bowls. Heck because FSU is FSU, it will always have some people hankering to put them in the Natty conversation

(that's my beef with the poll system, influence of romantic favoritism clouding or meshing with analysis but that's another story.).

USC managed to do JUST FINE in a conference that it generally lorded over in the 2000s. And look at the Big 12, that's The Longhorn and Sooner Show (that's actually a nice ring to it!).

I think FSU and Clemson stick around. Both seem to be on the rise, unless the NCAA REAAALLY HAMMERS Miami, (like Pony Express level) then frankly, I think they will be like USC and storm on. Much like the Trojans, they still are rolling in the blue chip talent. And you can't forget VahTek. All combined, you get a fair conference (top of the conference anyway). With legit national championship potential (or at least ability to influence or boost them).

Now then in the NEWS THAT NO ONE GIVES A FLYING PATOOT OVER category....

Temple to Big East?

MAC source: 'Big East needs Temple'

For a while I really tried to give the Big East some cred, they had some good schools with good coaches running clean programs very quietly, but combined mediocrity and the recent gutting of the league has left me cold.

Admittedly as a Philly guy, I always like seeing the city teams get some love. And being in the Big East would be AWESOME for Temple Bball wise....

Football wise? Hmmm, tough call. Would the Big East still hold onto it's auto-bid? People always make MUCH more noise about that then is warrented. Here it starts to loom as a question. The only "big boy" West Virginia has bolted, two legacy teams in Pitt and 'Cuse are going to kick it in the Carolinas.

What would be the Big East's national appeal? Add Temple and you get a big market, much like Rutgers has North Jersey (NYC for academic purposes). However, like Rutgers, Temple is small fish in the big media landscape pond. Pro sports rule the I-95 corridor. And I know Philly, they will support the team................if it's playing for scratch.

Temple will be able to go to better bowls and be on TV more. It will also have regional rivals in Rutgers and UCONN. However, that will only go so far in really building a buzz in the city. Short of the school embarking on an ambitious Rutgers style infrastructure and media project, the Owls will have to at least be nationally respectable for them to get any REAL buzz in the city.

If the Big East manages to hold together and Temple makes investments in it's program, I think it could work out nicely (it's not like the Owls are ever gonna be big time BCS regulars anyway). As a Philly fan, I hope they do go and it does work out.

Sorry bout the long post, been a long time...

Old 02-24-2012, 08:20 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,721,398 times
If I could have it my way I would consider add to the Big XII some of the following:

No particular order

*Tulsa - Another Ok school would help too
*Louisville - Good rival for WV
*Houston - An up and comer in football over the past few
*UL-Monroe - Adds another state to the mix, but not very football "rich"

I believe if invited any of these schools would say yes.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
If I could have it my way I would consider add to the Big XII some of the following:

No particular order

*Tulsa - Another Ok school would help too
*Louisville - Good rival for WV
*Houston - An up and comer in football over the past few
*UL-Monroe - Adds another state to the mix, but not very football "rich"

I believe if invited any of these schools would say yes.
.... I'd take Monroe out of there.

They have a better shot at going to the C-USA (even with the expansion/combination with the MWC) than the Big XII.

But people have been saying Louisville ever since Mizzou and A&M left. I think it makes sense if you have WVA in there. That'll bring it up to 11....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football