U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-27-2013, 10:31 AM
 
1,455 posts, read 2,865,735 times
Reputation: 1127

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It isnt, ACC schools dont have fans, not in football.

You like UNC right, there is a good chance they are leaving. Hope you still support them.
Oh we have plenty of fans alright and, shall I say, admirers from the outside as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,168,965 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I suspect both UNC and UVA have declined B1G's offer, which is why B1G was forced to settle on Rutgers.
You're wrong.

Big Ten has not made an offer to UVA or UNC.

And Rutgers was hardly settling. It's clearly one of the best schools that were available. No reason to add them if they weren't.

Big Ten, SEC and PAC-12 are not in positions to settle. They are by far the most stable and powerful conferences. And none of them hav poached. Nor will they.

Big Ten does not settle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,168,965 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
It is basically planning on getting sloppy thirds.
<<<<<

^^^
And this truth drives me nuts! How can a conference with two superpowers like Oklahoma and Texas be resorted to accept "sloppy thirds." Ridiculous.

I hope Bowlsby grows a pair and the Big XII gets aggressive and makes something of our conference before it's totally dead in the very near future.
Problem with the Big 12 is they are a step down for a SEC, BigTen, ACC or PAC team. They don't offer anything that other conferences don't.


You lost Nebraska, aTm, Colorado and Missouri and added WVU.

You have already acccepted sloppy thirds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM
 
1,455 posts, read 2,865,735 times
Reputation: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
You're wrong.

Big Ten has not made an offer to UVA or UNC.

And Rutgers was hardly settling. It's clearly one of the best schools that were available. No reason to add them if they weren't.

Big Ten, SEC and PAC-12 are not in positions to settle. They are by far the most stable and powerful conferences. And none of them hav poached. Nor will they.

Big Ten does not settle.
The key phrase in your statement is "best schools that were available." Clearly, UVA and UNC were not avaliable to B1G.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,168,965 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
The key phrase in your statement is "best schools that were available." Clearly, UVA and UNC were not avaliable to B1G.
So what?

Thats doesn't mean they settled for Nebraska, Rutgers or Maryland.

The Big Ten was already the richest, most powerful and most stable conference in the country. No reason to expand if they thought those schools were not going to add to that. Saying the Big Ten settled for Rutgers because UNC wasn't available is delusional.

And we don't know if UNC/UVA is available or not. It's just a guess. We do know the Big Ten has never invited them to apply for membership.

And did it ever ocur to you that Rutgers is a more valuable school than UNC? And that's why Rutgers joined and not the Tar Heels.

Last edited by OhioRules; 02-27-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 03:58 PM
 
5,507 posts, read 9,279,734 times
Reputation: 2289
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
So what?

Thats doesn't mean they settled for Nebraska, Rutgers or Maryland.

The Big Ten was already the richest, most powerful and most stable conference in the country. No reason to expand if they thought those schools were not going to add to that. Saying the Big Ten settled for Rutgers because UNC wasn't available is delusional.

And we don't know if UNC/UVA is available or not. It's just a guess. We do know the Big Ten has never invited them to apply for membership.

And did it ever ocur to you that Rutgers is a more valuable school than UNC? And that's why Rutgers joined and not the Tar Heels.
You sound foolish defending Rutgers. UVA or UNC would clearly be a superior option. Both are superior in every aspect of academics and athletics. The only more delusional coent you could make is that the Big 10 is good at football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,168,965 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
You sound foolish defending Rutgers. UVA or UNC would clearly be a superior option. Both are superior in every aspect of academics and athletics. The only more delusional coent you could make is that the Big 10 is good at football.
1. Rutgers will add at least $75 million a year to the Big Ten. And probably closer to 90 million. Per year.
2. New Jersey has the same population as North Carolina and no NC State or Duke or Wake to share eyeballs with.
3. Rutgers is the most watched team in NYC. A city that has the same population as NC.
4. 9 of the 10 highest rated regular season games on ESPN in the NYC market involved Rutgers.
5. New Jersey gets 2 U.S. Senators that don't have to be concerned with another large state institution. (NC State/VaTech). Maryland gets 2 more.
6. There are 600,000 Big Ten alumni from D.C. to NYC. (Before the Rutgers and Maryland adds). Hell, that's more than the entire population of the Research Triangle.
7. Penn State finally gets a couple Eastern schools. UNC and UVA are southern
8. The academics and research dollars at both Rutgers and Maryland are comparable to any flagshipsin the country.
9. Fox (owns half the B1G Network) also owns the YES Network. That's the NY channel that shows Yankees games. So any question about getting the BTN in New York City are answered.

And I didn't say Rutgers was the better option. But Rutgers and Maryland are at least as good as anyone. I asked how the guy knew they weren't. UNC/UVA would both be great adds. Just saying Rutgers and Maryland are great too. Certainly not settling.

He said the Big Ten "settled" by taking Rutgers because they couldn't get UNC. Talk about delusional. The Big Ten dies not settle for anyone. Big 12 settled with WVU and the ACC with UL.

I was just wondering why he thinks Rutgers is a second-rate institution.

You're right though. The Big Ten is bad at football. They only went 2-2 against the SEC this year. lols. Some bragging rights you got there gator. And you call me delusional. lols.

Last edited by OhioRules; 02-27-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 05:17 PM
 
5,507 posts, read 9,279,734 times
Reputation: 2289
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
1. Rutgers will add at least $75 million a year to the Big Ten. And probably closer to 90 million. Per year.
2. New Jersey has the same population as North Carolina and no NC State or Duke or Wake to share eyeballs with.
3. Rutgers is the most watched team in NYC. A city that has the same population as NC.
4. 9 of the 10 highest rated regular season games on ESPN in the NYC market involved Rutgers.
5. New Jersey gets 2 U.S. Senators that don't have to be concerned with another large state institution. (NC State/VaTech). Maryland gets 2 more.
6. There are 600,000 Big Ten alumni from D.C. to NYC. (Before the Rutgers and Maryland adds). Hell, that's more than the entire population of the Research Triangle.
7. Penn State finally gets a couple Eastern schools. UNC and UVA are southern
8. The academics and research dollars at both Rutgers and Maryland are comparable to any flagshipsin the country.
9. Fox (owns half the B1G Network) also owns the YES Network. That's the NY channel that shows Yankees games. So any question about getting the BTN in New York City are answered.

And I didn't say Rutgers was the better option. But Rutgers and Maryland are at least as good as anyone. I asked how the guy knew they weren't. UNC/UVA would both be great adds. Just saying Rutgers and Maryland are great too. Certainly not settling.

He said the Big Ten "settled" by taking Rutgers because they couldn't get UNC. Talk about delusional. The Big Ten dies not settle for anyone. Big 12 settled with WVU and the ACC with UL.

I was just wondering why he thinks Rutgers is a second-rate institution.

You're right though. The Big Ten is bad at football. They only went 2-2 against the SEC this year. lols. Some bragging rights you got there gator. And you call me delusional. lols.

UVA and UNC are better schools and that is not up for debate. You entered a big TV market but few in that market pay attention to Rutgers.

If you can justify Rutgers as being a good addition there is no doubt you can fool yourself into thinking the Big 10 has done well recently in football. You guys are a basketball conference and you settle all the time these days as the laughing stock of college football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,947,382 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
You're wrong.

Big Ten has not made an offer to UVA or UNC.

And Rutgers was hardly settling. It's clearly one of the best schools that were available. No reason to add them if they weren't.

Big Ten, SEC and PAC-12 are not in positions to settle. They are by far the most stable and powerful conferences. And none of them hav poached. Nor will they.

Big Ten does not settle.
Yes they do settle. B1G wanted Notre Dame. Notre Dame said no. Time and Time again. When they signed with the ACC, not a short time later Rutgers was announced. That is the definition of settling.

Pac-12 took Colorado. A team at that point that hadn't shown any promise to coming back to their old success. They offered them with the other Big 12 schools. They were the only one to accept. Pac 12 kept them. Again, another definition of settling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules
3. Rutgers is the most watched team in NYC. A city that has the same population as NC.
Classic! Not sure where you are dreaming that.

Quote:
4. 9 of the 10 highest rated regular season games on ESPN in the NYC market involved Rutgers.
Oh my! #3 was funny but this totally takes the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,168,965 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
UVA and UNC are better schools and that is not up for debate. You entered a big TV market but few in that market pay attention to Rutgers.

If you can justify Rutgers as being a good addition there is no doubt you can fool yourself into thinking the Big 10 has done well recently in football. You guys are a basketball conference and you settle all the time these days as the laughing stock of college football.
I never said UVA and UNC weren't better schools. I agree that they are.

Rutgers is the most watched team in the largest market in the country. According to Neilson ratings. And the existing Big Ten schools have enormous alumni populations there.

Seems like all you're intersested in doing is talking about how "bad" B1G football is. lols. Good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top