U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 AM

6,349 posts, read 8,390,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Oh we have plenty of fans alright and, shall I say, admirers from the outside as well.
Not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Problem with the Big 12 is they are a step down for a SEC, BigTen, ACC or PAC team. They don't offer anything that other conferences don't.

You lost Nebraska, aTm, Colorado and Missouri and added WVU.

You have already acccepted sloppy thirds.
They are a step down from SEC and arguably the B1G. I'd put it on par with the PAC. It is way ahead of the ACC which is a distant 5th. Remember the ACC is the one bending over to take it and the conferences are lining up to have their turn.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 AM

3,039 posts, read 2,167,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Yes they do settle. B1G wanted Notre Dame. Notre Dame said no. Time and Time again. When they signed with the ACC, not a short time later Rutgers was announced. That is the definition of settling.

Notre Dame said no way back in the 1990s. No one bothered to invite them when the B1G invited Rutgers. Texas approached the Big Ten after the SWC fell apart and wanted to join. BIG told them no. Works both ways I guess.

Pac-12 took Colorado. A team at that point that hadn't shown any promise to coming back to their old success. They offered them with the other Big 12 schools. They were the only one to accept. Pac 12 kept them. Again, another definition of settling.

Yeah, the others had to come as a group. That makes it million times harder with the extra politics and what not. Are you saying getting Colorado was worse than getting Oklahoma State and Texas Tech? lols. You also imply recent football results are driving realignment. lols. It's University Presidents making these decisions, not football coaches. And the only schools the PAC really wanted out of the Big 12 was Texas and Colorado. They were willing to take the other 4 to get those 2. Getting 1 of 2 of your goal is major success.

Classic! Not sure where you are dreaming that.

Nielson Ratings !!!!

Oh my! #3 was funny but this totally takes the cake.
Nielson Ratings again.

Rutgers also gets more viewers in college basketball in NYC than Syracuse & St. John's combined. According to Nielson. Just because you think nobody follows them doesn't make it so.

If Rutgers ever bothered to get good in football and basketball they could probably surpass texas and Ohio State as the wealthiest athletic departments in the country, Big Ten is sitting on gold.

It's funny how you act like a conference can just invite any school they want and they will join, otherwise they are settling. lols. The Big Ten and SEC are far and away the best conferences to be in. PAC is slightly behind. Then the ACC and finally the Big 12. Otherwise, Big Ten and SEC schools would be leaving for the Big 12.

That still doesn't mean the SEC and Big Ten can just get whoever they want. They both would take Texas or UNC or USC. Doesn't mean they can get them. Doesn't mean they need to settle either. Taking Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, Missouri and aTm are all excellent additions for various reasons. Maybe they aint Texas or USC but they aint leftovers either. Any conference would take them under the right conditions.

The Big 12 and ACC are the conferences settling. B1G, SEC and PAC added teams because they believe those schools enhance their conferences. ACC added Louisville and Big 12 added WVU and TCU because they needed bodies. No way in hell those schools get invited any other way. That's settling to me. Of course, I could be wrong.

I look at it this way. The SEC, Big Ten nd PAC all expanded because they WANTED to. Big 12 and ACC expanded because they HAD to. The first 3 are are in positions of power and will not settle for any school for any reason. The other 2 have been forced to get the best of what is left. That's a posittion of weakness. Sort of like the Big East was in for a decade before it died as we know it.

Last edited by OhioRules; 02-28-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM

3,039 posts, read 2,167,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
They are a step down from SEC and arguably the B1G. I'd put it on par with the PAC. It is way ahead of the ACC which is a distant 5th. Remember the ACC is the one bending over to take it and the conferences are lining up to have their turn.
Big 12 has lost 4 schools to the ACCs one.

I think as long as UNC stays the ACC will be fine.

Any school in the Big 12 except Texas or Oklahoma would leave for the the B1G, SEC or PAC in a heartbeat.

But who knows what will happen. lols.

it wouldn't shock me if the ACC is divided up between the Big 12, B1G and SEC. If so, I hope the B1G gets FSU, UVA, UNC and Duke.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:23 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,273,666 times
Quote:
Nielson Ratings again.

Rutgers also gets more viewers in college basketball in NYC than Syracuse & St. John's combined. According to Nielson. Just because you think nobody follows them doesn't make it so.

If Rutgers ever bothered to get good in football and basketball they could probably surpass texas and Ohio State as the wealthiest athletic departments in the country, Big Ten is sitting on gold.

It's funny how you act like a conference can just invite any school they want and they will join, otherwise they are settling. lols. The Big Ten and SEC are far and away the best conferences to be in. PAC is slightly behind. Then the ACC and finally the Big 12. Otherwise, Big Ten and SEC schools would be leaving for the Big 12.

That still doesn't mean the SEC and Big Ten can just get whoever they want. They both would take Texas or UNC or USC. Doesn't mean they can get them. Doesn't mean they need to settle either. Taking Rutgers, Maryland, Nebraska, Missouri and aTm are all excellent additions for various reasons. Maybe they aint Texas or USC but they aint leftovers either. Any conference would take them under the right conditions.

The Big 12 and ACC are the conferences settling. B1G, SEC and PAC added teams because they believe those schools enhance their conferences. ACC added Louisville and Big 12 added WVU and TCU because they needed bodies. No way in hell those schools get invited any other way. That's settling to me. Of course, I could be wrong.

I look at it this way. The SEC, Big Ten nd PAC all expanded because they WANTED to. Big 12 and ACC expanded because they HAD to. The first 3 are are in positions of power and will not settle for any school for any reason. The other 2 have been forced to get the best of what is left. That's a posittion of weakness. Sort of like the Big East was in for a decade before it died as we know it.
Did you just say Rutgers could be Ohio State or Texas? You are just trolling at this point.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Big 12 has lost 4 schools to the ACCs one.

I think as long as UNC stays the ACC will be fine.

Any school in the Big 12 except Texas or Oklahoma would leave for the the B1G, SEC or PAC in a heartbeat.

But who knows what will happen. lols.

it wouldn't shock me if the ACC is divided up between the Big 12, B1G and SEC. If so, I hope the B1G gets FSU, UVA, UNC and Duke.
Lost one so far.

Like I said the line to take a turn on the ACC is starting.

Perhaps UVA or UNC. I dont see them taking Duke, and they would never never take FSU.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Nielson Ratings again.

Im not sure where you get your views. It sure is not based on titles. Also the B1G is nowhere close to the SEC. The SEC is by far the best. Stop putting yourself in a category you are not even close in. ACC is by far the worse, behind even the Big East in their record. This is not a matter of debate. The BCS record of teams speaks for itself.

Also your statement that Rutgers could be better than Ohio or Texas if they wanted to is retarded. I can make things up too. If Harvard wanted to they could be better than Alabama at football. If the elementary school across the street wanted to they could win the superbowl.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:17 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,411,357 times
According to the following analysis, Rutgers is the most popular football team in New York City...for whatever that's worth:

The Geography of College Football Fans (and Realignment Chaos) - NYTimes.com

Though perhaps their popularity will grow with membership in the Big Ten.

In regards to the Big Ten being "bad" in football, that's ridiculous. The SEC is clearly far superior to any conference in the country, but the Big Ten still plays very good football (as if that even needs to be said), still sends loads of players to the NFL, still garners wide national interest.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,411,357 times
The more I think about it, the more I would like to see the Big Ten just go for the gusto and expand to 20. For football, place the schools in five team pods that will rotate from year-to-year to create two ten team divisions. Something like this:

Atlantic Pod
Maryland
Virginia
North Carolina
Duke
Georgia Tech

Central Pod
Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan
Michigan State
Rutgers

Midwestern Pod
Iowa
Nebraska
Minnesota
Missouri
Kansas

Great Lakes Pod
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue

It almost, almost works out perfectly, except for the not-so-tiny issue of splitting up Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
According to the following analysis, Rutgers is the most popular football team in New York City...for whatever that's worth:

The Geography of College Football Fans (and Realignment Chaos) - NYTimes.com

Though perhaps their popularity will grow with membership in the Big Ten.

In regards to the Big Ten being "bad" in football, that's ridiculous. The SEC is clearly far superior to any conference in the country, but the Big Ten still plays very good football (as if that even needs to be said), still sends loads of players to the NFL, still garners wide national interest.
Not very much since NYC, and metro, is not a strong college market. 2 pro teams right by NYC, 1 team in upstate NY, and Philly not far away. Then you have all the other pro teams in other sports. At the end of the day they could care less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football