U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 05:59 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,278,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Not very much since NYC, and metro, is not a strong college market. 2 pro teams right by NYC, 1 team in upstate NY, and Philly not far away. Then you have all the other pro teams in other sports. At the end of the day they could care less.
All those fans don't seem to find their way to a Rutgers game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,947,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
In regards to the Big Ten being "bad" in football, that's ridiculous. The SEC is clearly far superior to any conference in the country, but the Big Ten still plays very good football (as if that even needs to be said), still sends loads of players to the NFL, still garners wide national interest.
I guess you didn't watch last season.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 AM

203 posts, read 278,189 times
The Big Ten has a rule that it will only expand within its footprint or to adjacent states.

Sports writers have guffawed the idea that the Big Ten would actually abide by the rule if there were anything at stake, but that is 100% opinion on their part.

There was never a point where the Big Ten considered Rutgers vs. UNC or UVA. They are only now speculative candidates because Maryland became an avenue to VA, or VA+NC, when following that rule.

Last edited by jasomm; 03-04-2013 at 08:05 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 02:06 PM

8,341 posts, read 14,106,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
The Big Ten has a rule that it will only expand within its footprint or to adjacent states.
No such rule exists.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:01 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,414,413 times
Quote:
Not very much since NYC, and metro, is not a strong college market. 2 pro teams right by NYC, 1 team in upstate NY, and Philly not far away. Then you have all the other pro teams in other sports. At the end of the day they could care less.
New York is a huge market, so Rutgers 20% is not insignificant. Nor is it realistic to assume that interest in Rutgers football isn't going to increase with a switch from the Big East to B1G. All of that being said, the Big Ten didn't snag Rutgers for it's fanbase. It snagged Rutger because it gives the BTN access to the NYC cable market, which, as long as cable companies are able to hold customers hostage, is going to mean a huge windfall for the conference.

In regards to the conference's supposed contiguous states rule, it's my understanding that no such rule exists in writing, but it is something that has been informally adhered to for over a century. However if Delaney wants to break the rule, he will.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,396,460 times
Quote:
New York is a huge market, so Rutgers 20% is not insignificant. Nor is it realistic to assume that interest in Rutgers football isn't going to increase with a switch from the Big East to B1G. All of that being said, the Big Ten didn't snag Rutgers for it's fanbase. It snagged Rutger because it gives the BTN access to the NYC cable market, which, as long as cable companies are able to hold customers hostage, is going to mean a huge windfall for the conference.

In regards to the conference's supposed contiguous states rule, it's my understanding that no such rule exists in writing, but it is something that has been informally adhered to for over a century. However if Delaney wants to break the rule, he will.
20% of the college market, which is less than rural areas of lightly populated southern states.

I agree the potential is there, but that doesnt mean it will be met. The problem with college is only grads tend to care in markets with such a strong pro presence.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,414,413 times
Quote:
20% of the college market, which is less than rural areas of lightly populated southern states.

I agree the potential is there, but that doesnt mean it will be met. The problem with college is only grads tend to care in markets with such a strong pro presence.
It's an untapped market to this point, however. I don't think it's a terrible gamble on the part of the conference (though, admittedly, as a fan, one I am not a huge fan of).

Old 03-05-2013, 11:15 PM

6,349 posts, read 8,396,460 times
Quote:
It's an untapped market to this point, however. I don't think it's a terrible gamble on the part of the conference (though, admittedly, as a fan, one I am not a huge fan of).
It isnt reallya gamble since failure wont hurt them. Even if nobody watches it will get them on TVs there. At the worst they take a small hit to revenue. The market isnt so much as untapped as disinterested.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,517,565 times
As a Native Floridian living in Texas, I'd prefer for the Florida State Seminoles to join the Big 12, not just for my own selfish reasons, they would be able to play top flight football teams and not have an annual "soft" schedule, and they would be able to make more money as the Big 12 has a larger TV contract and FSU could create their own network if they wanted to.

Wins all the way around!

Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,278,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
As a Native Floridian living in Texas, I'd prefer for the Florida State Seminoles to join the Big 12, not just for my own selfish reasons, they would be able to play top flight football teams and not have an annual "soft" schedule, and they would be able to make more money as the Big 12 has a larger TV contract and FSU could create their own network if they wanted to.

Wins all the way around!
FSU sells season tickets for $120 bucks. They don't have the support for their own network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football