U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 AM

3,039 posts, read 2,171,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
No, they don't. The B1G has no rule that dictates a new member has to be in a state that borders a state with a B1G school.
I don't know where this myth came from.

Even if such a rule existed they could change it in one vote.

I'm sure if a UNC or Florida or Texas wnted to join they would be accepted in about one second.

Would be nice to have border states but not necessary at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 03:58 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,346,419 times
It's not a myth. It's high school finance. Expanding in a state you already owns just means a lower distributed sum. Some exceptions like FSU/UF, MSU and Michigan, Auburn and Alabama, TAMU and UT DO exist, but BIG 10 and SEC are in a position where regional fit is important. SEC doesn't expand in states it owns and neither do BIG. TAMU+Mizzou, Maryland+Rutgers

You never know though.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 AM

3,039 posts, read 2,171,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
It's not a myth. It's high school finance. Expanding in a state you already owns just means a lower distributed sum. Some exceptions like FSU/UF, MSU and Michigan, Auburn and Alabama, TAMU and UT DO exist, but BIG 10 and SEC are in a position where regional fit is important. SEC doesn't expand in states it owns and neither do BIG. TAMU+Mizzou, Maryland+Rutgers

You never know though.
Think you misunderstood what we were saying. There was always this myth that The Big Ten had to take a school that was in a border state or in an already existing state. The rule never existed and even if it did the Big Ten could just change it is they wanted.

Expanding in one's one state doesn't make sense in 2013. Pittsburgh would be a perfect fit in the Big Ten in every way. But Penn State already gets the market.

The only exceptions I see out there right now would be if UNC/NC State came together. The SEC or Big Ten might overlook NC State just to get UNC. And I could see either adding UVA/VaTech also. But both those states have large poulations, large fan bases, fertile recruiting grounds, decent enough athletics and solid academics.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:39 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,419,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Think you misunderstood what we were saying. There was always this myth that The Big Ten had to take a school that was in a border state or in an already existing state. The rule never existed and even if it did the Big Ten could just change it is they wanted.

Expanding in one's one state doesn't make sense in 2013. Pittsburgh would be a perfect fit in the Big Ten in every way. But Penn State already gets the market.

The only exceptions I see out there right now would be if UNC/NC State came together. The SEC or Big Ten might overlook NC State just to get UNC. And I could see either adding UVA/VaTech also. But both those states have large poulations, large fan bases, fertile recruiting grounds, decent enough athletics and solid academics.
I don't see how Pitt would be a perfect fit for the Big Ten. A decent fit? Sure.

I don't think that the Big Ten would bother with NC State or VA Tech, either.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:33 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,721,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I don't see how Pitt would be a perfect fit for the Big Ten. A decent fit? Sure.

I don't think that the Big Ten would bother with NC State or VA Tech, either.
If the ACC does lose more members then the Big XII and SEC will be fighting over VT/NC State. If B1G strikes out on Florida State/G-Tech...they'll be in the Big XII as a package deal with VT/NC State/Clemson and Miami.

FSU/G-Tech/V-Tech/Clemson/NC State/Miami additions would be the best of all scenarios for the Big XII and thus, it's not likely to work out that way. If the Big XII got 2-4 of these schools it would be pretty big news.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,419,244 times
I don't see where FSU would be a priority for the B1G at this point in time. If the idea is to pluck schools from the ACC, I think that there are at least three others that the B1G would see as better fits than FSU.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,286,354 times
Quote:
I don't see where FSU would be a priority for the B1G at this point in time. If the idea is to pluck schools from the ACC, I think that there are at least three others that the B1G would see as better fits than FSU.
They wouldn't be. UVA and UNC would be the targets. They have much larger fanbases and the academics are far superior.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Fertile recruiting grounds would probably be the only distinct element that FSU could provide over North Carolina and Virginia. (More than anything this is why I want the Big XII to get FSU....get some more Florida boys here on my beloved Sooners squad. These Okies/Texans just ain't getting it done anymore. We need some top-shelf talent to compete with the SEC. Until that happens, I don't see OU or Tejas winning another national title and unseating the SEC's reign.)

However, I agree that UNC/Virginia are a much more natural fit for the B1G because of academics and the attitudes/views of the respective fanbases.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:26 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,286,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Fertile recruiting grounds would probably be the only distinct element that FSU could provide over North Carolina and Virginia. (More than anything this is why I want the Big XII to get FSU....get some more Florida boys here on my beloved Sooners squad. These Okies/Texans just ain't getting it done anymore. We need some top-shelf talent to compete with the SEC. Until that happens, I don't see OU or Tejas winning another national title and unseating the SEC's reign.)

However, I agree that UNC/Virginia are a much more natural fit for the B1G because of academics and the attitudes/views of the respective fanbases.
OU and Texas have plenty of talent. Why you need are top coaches like the SEC has.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
OU and Texas have plenty of talent. Why you need are top coaches like the SEC has.
I don't think so.

Stoops has the highest winning percentage of active coaches. It's hard to argue with 1 natty, 8 conference titles (Tejas has 3), 8 Big 12 South titles, one of four other Sooner coaches to win over a 100 games, two heisman trophy winners (with two others finishing in the top 3 Peterson/Heupel), a 39 game win-streak at home, more top 10 finishes and top 5 finishes than any other program, a solid 8-5 overall record against arch rival Tejas, and more assistant coaches on his staff to become D1 head coaches in comparison to any other major program.

Although speculation, most Sooners and many pundits feel that we would have won at least one other national title had Mike Stoops stayed (certainly given the close score late into the LSU game and the Florida game come to mind). Also, in the Florida game, as you might remember, DeMarco did not play. No doubt that hurt us bigtime. (Not to mention we played both games in the other team's backyard. I know, I Know....."excuses are like *ssholes, everybody has one and they all stink.") If Stoops would have won at least just one other title (LSU game/UF game perhaps) then the monkey would be off his back, still possessing the similar/same cache as Saban. As it stands now, Saban is in a coaching echelon all his own.

I think what is inexplicable with Bob Stoops is that sometimes he just gets blown out. It appears he allows his players to give up sometimes.....BCS games USC/West Virginia and also 2011's Oklahoma State game and now our latest game against former favorite punching bag A&M. Certainly, losing is acceptable. All great coaches lose. But the very best coaches never get blown out, certainly not with the talent (down the last 2-3 years) Stoops has had over the years. With Stoops the multiple blowout losses are a head scratcher and something that Sooner Nation will not tolerate more than a few more years. He'll be gone in 3-4 if he gets blown out a few more times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football