U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,707,999 times
Reputation: 3054

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
sorry... edited the picture and it disappeared.. here it is
Did you separate the Oklahoma/Texas schools to balance the divisions?

If so that makes sense. If not, it makes no sense to have Oklahoma schools in the North and Kansas schools in the South.

You could balance out the divisions a lot more with an East/West separation. You would definitely have to have a few of the Texas schools (Houston/SMU/maybe even TCU, for example) and at least one of the Oklahoma schools (Oklahoma State) in the East. That would balance out your divisions a bit nicer. It's good for college football for the Sooners and Horns to duke it out in the same division of the same conference.

Looking at it again, maybe just swap Houston for Oklahoma in your top division and TCU for SMU and you'd have some more balanced divisions.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 03-08-2012 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2012, 03:24 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,707,999 times
Reputation: 3054
Default New Article on the 'Ville....

Is Big 12 expansion on the horizon? | National Football Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Pixburgh
1,187 posts, read 1,150,961 times
Reputation: 1336
decent read there.

nice to see an article that isn't based on nonsense like ND or FSU to the big 12. Almost wish WVU didn't force Pitt to join the ACC, and the backyard brawl rivalry moved to the b12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2012, 10:57 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,707,999 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
decent read there.

nice to see an article that isn't based on nonsense like ND or FSU to the big 12. Almost wish WVU didn't force Pitt to join the ACC, and the backyard brawl rivalry moved to the b12.
West Virginia forced Pitt to join the ACC? How?

Yeh, that would have been great to have Pitt with Louisville, WV, and Cincy.

This is what it could look like

Big 12 East
Cincy
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Louisville
Pitt
West Virginia

Big 12 West
Baylor
Houston
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
TCU
Texas
Texas Tech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 07:35 AM
 
203 posts, read 278,041 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Did you separate the Oklahoma/Texas schools to balance the divisions?

If so that makes sense. If not, it makes no sense to have Oklahoma schools in the North and Kansas schools in the South.

You could balance out the divisions a lot more with an East/West separation. You would definitely have to have a few of the Texas schools (Houston/SMU/maybe even TCU, for example) and at least one of the Oklahoma schools (Oklahoma State) in the East. That would balance out your divisions a bit nicer. It's good for college football for the Sooners and Horns to duke it out in the same division of the same conference.

Looking at it again, maybe just swap Houston for Oklahoma in your top division and TCU for SMU and you'd have some more balanced divisions.
You are probably right... My focus wasnt so much on designing the divisions within the conferences (except for the BigTen aka North14 here). It was more about coordinating a sustainable organization of conferences that facilitate a good playoff system, and is more equitable to every school (large and small).

the problem with this Big14 is that its basically a compilation of 3 conferences and its traditional rivals. the southwest conference, the big 8, and the conference USA teams.
maybe something like:

TCU, WV, Cincy, L'ville, Baylor, Hou, SMU,
TX, TT, OK, OK St, KSU, Kan, ISU

is more palatable, but a little lopsided within the current setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 07:39 AM
 
203 posts, read 278,041 times
Reputation: 108
its not too late, necessarily... The Big 12 could wrangle Pitt away from the ACC if they really tried. It is a more respectable conference, and they would keep their rivalry, like it has been said.

They did it with TCU and the Big East, why not Pitt and the ACC. Seems quite brilliant to me actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,707,999 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
its not too late, necessarily... The Big 12 could wrangle Pitt away from the ACC if they really tried. It is a more respectable conference, and they would keep their rivalry, like it has been said.

They did it with TCU and the Big East, why not Pitt and the ACC. Seems quite brilliant to me actually.
Would be wonderful if they could pull it off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2012, 08:38 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,707,999 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasomm View Post
You are probably right... My focus wasnt so much on designing the divisions within the conferences (except for the BigTen aka North14 here). It was more about coordinating a sustainable organization of conferences that facilitate a good playoff system, and is more equitable to every school (large and small).

the problem with this Big14 is that its basically a compilation of 3 conferences and its traditional rivals. the southwest conference, the big 8, and the conference USA teams.
maybe something like:

TCU, WV, Cincy, L'ville, Baylor, Hou, SMU,
TX, TT, OK, OK St, KSU, Kan, ISU

is more palatable, but a little lopsided within the current setting.
>>>>>
TCU, WV, Cincy, L'ville, Baylor, Hou, SMU,
TX, TT, OK, OK St, KSU, Kan, ISU
<<<<<

Yeh, that's more palatable. But with the emergence of K-State and Okie-State.....and Tech is rarely an easy win I'm guessing those divisions are still quite imbalanced with only two cupcakes in one division, KU and Iowa State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2012, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Pixburgh
1,187 posts, read 1,150,961 times
Reputation: 1336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
West Virginia forced Pitt to join the ACC? How?

Yeh, that would have been great to have Pitt with Louisville, WV, and Cincy.

This is what it could look like
maybe 'forced' is a strong word.

back in late August when the b12 was pursuing pitt, pitt had a couple problems.
1. no travel partners, though supposedly they were looking at louisville and later wvu to team up with pitt.

2. oklahoma and oklahoma state were dipping their toes in the PAC water right then, so the conference was still pretty unstable.

anyway from what I have been told by a pretty big Pitt booster, WVU wanted nothing to do with going to the b12 at the time (and if you do a google search on the subject from august/september of 2011, you will see how terrible of an idea the mountaineer fans thought the b12 was for pitt, let alone themselves)

of course they were sure the SEC invite was coming, and if they had a chance at that who can blame them? Didn't work out but, too late to know.

So they wanted to wait and let that play out. Of course the ACC jumped and Pitt had to move or possibly be replaced there by Uconn..

In the last round of ACC expansion, Pitt really blew it. They refused to talk with the ACC initially when they contacted Pitt. The ACC was set on Miami and no one else for certain. Next thing you know, BC and Cuse were gone..but Cuse got an uppercut by VA government and were replaced by VT.
Pitts inept leadership at that time were taken by surprise of course.
At the risk of making the same mistake twice, and honestly the ACC looked like a pretty good home, Pitt jumped this time.

But if WVU was open initially to giving up on the SEC and heading to the B12 with Pitt, both would probably be in right now(along with Louisville i guess, to make a 12 team league).
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 AM
 
203 posts, read 278,041 times
Reputation: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
TCU, WV, Cincy, L'ville, Baylor, Hou, SMU,
TX, TT, OK, OK St, KSU, Kan, ISU
<<<<<

Yeh, that's more palatable. But with the emergence of K-State and Okie-State.....and Tech is rarely an easy win I'm guessing those divisions are still quite imbalanced with only two cupcakes in one division, KU and Iowa State.
True, but these things are very fluid. Even though I initially threw the divisions together trying to balance teams based on current strength, this is inevitably moot. Most teams will jump all over the place in how strong they are from year to year. Just look at Michigan from 2004-2010, or Notre Dame over the last couple decades, Boise, or Miami U. You never know who will be a power house in 5-10 years, or what current power houses will disappear.

Any realignments would probably be best served with sustaining rivalries, or geography, than balancing power.

for that reason I made some other tweaks I think would work well:

ACC
-VATech, Miami, BC, UConn, Cuse, MD, UVA (esentially the old big east with MD and UVA)
-FSU, Clem, GATech, NCSt, UNC, Duke, Wake (keeps all the Carolina teams together)

MAC
-Rutgers, Temple, Army, Navy, UMass, Buffalo, EMU, CMU, WMU (keeps the michigan schools together, plus a couple nice rivalries out east)
-No.Ill, Ball St, Marshall, Toledo, Ohio, MiamiOH, BGSU, Kent, Akron (keeps all the ohio schools together)

Last edited by jasomm; 03-15-2012 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top