Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times

Advertisements

Big 12(-2) Let's Expand!

Oliver Luck thinks the Big 12 should expand - CBSSports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Default Time for Louisville to Join the Big 12?

Bowlsby and the Big 12 better strike while the fire is hot!

Louisville wants out of the Big East, interested in Big 12 and ACC - NCAA Football - Sporting News

Old 05-11-2012, 08:35 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,548 times
Louisville fits in better with the Big 12 than the ACC, I have a feeling it'll happen soon (maybe coupled with BYU or Cincy).

Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Louisville fits in better with the Big 12 than the ACC, I have a feeling it'll happen soon (maybe coupled with BYU or Cincy).
I hope you're right. I'd prefer Cincy over BYU as it would be a much better geographical and cultural fit for the Northern schools than BYU would.

It would be nice if the Big 12 went to an East/West alignment and it would even out the divisions some.

Big 12 East
Cincy
Iowa State
Kansas
Louisville
Oklahoma State
West Virginia

Big 12 West
Baylor
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Texas
TCU
Texas Tech

Old 05-12-2012, 11:13 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I hope you're right. I'd prefer Cincy over BYU as it would be a much better geographical and cultural fit for the Northern schools than BYU would.

It would be nice if the Big 12 went to an East/West alignment and it would even out the divisions some.

Big 12 East
Cincy
Iowa State
Kansas
Louisville
Oklahoma State
West Virginia

Big 12 West
Baylor
Kansas State
Oklahoma
Texas
TCU
Texas Tech
That would be cool for the Big 12... Although I don't like them having any footprint in SEC states, ie Kentucky.

But in all seriousness it would help them get back on their feet. Much needed.

Although I think WV, TCU, Cincy, and Louisville are SERIOUS downgrades from Nebraska, Colorado, TAMU, and Mizzou as a whole...

And Cincy seems more like a Big10 school than Big12 and I dont agree with you on wanting them over BYU. BYU just has more tradition is a better school, although I think they fit best in the Big10.

But if it does happen as you have it above the culture of the Big12 will be completely different with WV, Louisiville, and Cincy. thats a piece of Big East, Big10, and SEC culture types in those three all coming to the Big12.

But good luck either way... I'm tired of hearing about what the Big12 needs to do. I want them to just get it done.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:30 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,177 times
I dont understand why the Big 12 doesnt go after Boise State?

It would be a much better fit for Boise than the Big East----especially since Boise wants to be in a conference that has AQ status. Boises basketball program doesnt have a great history, but a move to the Big 12 would enhance that.

Louisville also might be a good fit, but I also am not sure of any more programs that far east----how about Air Force-----there have been rumors that were looking to other conferences.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:41 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I dont understand why the Big 12 doesnt go after Boise State?

It would be a much better fit for Boise than the Big East----especially since Boise wants to be in a conference that has AQ status. Boises basketball program doesnt have a great history, but a move to the Big 12 would enhance that.

Boise State's ONLY value is a decent football program.... They need schools with a few more things than just football. It really doesnt matter if the football program is good or not. The school has to add value. And the team being good does not necessarily do that. Unless the program is so good and is such a national brand that it makes up for other things. Miami for example would be school who's national brand trumps some of its short comings.

1) Academically up to par with the conference
2) A new and nice size television market
3) Culturally a fit.
4) A school large enough to travel well for football.

Boise has none of those things above. Yes, they travel well, but not Big12 travel well. And yes Boise is city, but the television market is not large enough. Culturally they do not fit the Big12 and ultimately their academics are not up too par either.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,731 times
Boise is another one of those small conference schools that is pretty weak academically compared to the typical school in a big conference. Maybe "weak" is the wrong word, but they are just not the same type of academic institution as far as what they can provide for students, although they at least seem to have one doctoral program.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:02 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
And Cincy seems more like a Big10 school than Big12 and I dont agree with you on wanting them over BYU.
Based on what? Cincinnati is an urban, heavily commuter school that plays in a tiny stadium with no football tradition and has above-average at best academics. I don't think it's anything like any of the other Big Ten schools, except for the fact that it's located in the Midwest...barely. It would be a terrible fit for the Big Ten and actually for most of the other BCS conferences. In fact it's only a BCS school at the moment because the Big East, in its first act of desperation, elevated the school to such a status less than a decade ago. When the Big East goes away, there will be really no longer be a place in the top tier conferences for such a school unless the Big XII continues to resort to the same type of desperate tactics that the Big East used in 2005.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
That would be cool for the Big 12... Although I don't like them having any footprint in SEC states, ie Kentucky.

But in all seriousness it would help them get back on their feet. Much needed.

Although I think WV, TCU, Cincy, and Louisville are SERIOUS downgrades from Nebraska, Colorado, TAMU, and Mizzou as a whole...

And Cincy seems more like a Big10 school than Big12 and I dont agree with you on wanting them over BYU. BYU just has more tradition is a better school, although I think they fit best in the Big10.

But if it does happen as you have it above the culture of the Big12 will be completely different with WV, Louisiville, and Cincy. thats a piece of Big East, Big10, and SEC culture types in those three all coming to the Big12.

But good luck either way... I'm tired of hearing about what the Big12 needs to do. I want them to just get it done.
>>>>>
<<<<<

True. Losing A&M, and especially Nebraska, were huge blows to the Big 12 because of the amount of money these programs generate (not just success on the football field). At this point, the Big 12 isn't "replacing" teams for an even swap, just trying to make do with what's leftover. The facts of the matter, no doubt. Pretty much all these teams are downgrades, but it is what it is.

>>>>>
<<<<<

I hear ya, I just don't want to mess with the Mormon B.S. Now that we have W.V....and the strong possibility of eventually getting Louisville, I think it would be good to have some of those "eastern" teams over there have some geographical rivals. As part of the Lower-Midwest, Cincy would have more cultural tie-in with Louisville and W.V. (Upper South/border of the Midwest.) The Oklahoma and Texas schools have much more a SOUTHWestern or Western mentality. And no, BYU would not fit culturally at all with the Oklahoma/Texas schools. This was the primary reason I was against Oklahoma/Texas going to the PAC.

Ideally, the Big 12 could lure Florida St. and Clemson from the ACC and then convince Notre Dame out of its independence, but I'd also like a billion bucks in the bank. Ain't happening.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football