U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 07:08 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,412,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
Although I think WV, TCU, Cincy, and Louisville are SERIOUS downgrades from Nebraska, Colorado, TAMU, and Mizzou as a whole...
<<<<<

True. Losing A&M, and especially Nebraska, were huge blows to the Big 12 because of the amount of money these programs generate (not just success on the football field). At this point, the Big 12 isn't "replacing" teams for an even swap, just trying to make do with what's leftover. The facts of the matter, no doubt. Pretty much all these teams are downgrades, but it is what it is.

>>>>>
And Cincy seems more like a Big10 school than Big12 and I dont agree with you on wanting them over BYU. BYU just has more tradition is a better school, although I think they fit best in the Big10.
<<<<<

I hear ya, I just don't want to mess with the Mormon B.S. Now that we have W.V....and the strong possibility of eventually getting Louisville, I think it would be good to have some of those "eastern" teams over there have some geographical rivals. As part of the Lower-Midwest, Cincy would have more cultural tie-in with Louisville and W.V. (Upper South/border of the Midwest.) The Oklahoma and Texas schools have much more a SOUTHWestern or Western mentality. And no, BYU would not fit culturally at all with the Oklahoma/Texas schools. This was the primary reason I was against Oklahoma/Texas going to the PAC.

Ideally, the Big 12 could lure Florida St. and Clemson from the ACC and then convince Notre Dame out of its independence, but I'd also like a billion bucks in the bank. Ain't happening.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
Yea... I hear ya on the religious angle with BYU. But if the Right-Wing can get behind one then so can the Big12.

BYU prob only wants the Big10 to join anyway to go along with Notre Dame as the two religious schools.

And you are right... forget about the ACC schools.

So from that perspective headed up East to WV.... Cincy makes sense. If they didnt already control the state of Texas, Houston or SMU make more sense. I feel like Cincy is getting a huge bone thrown there way by even being considered for the Big12.

The Big12 might as well go after Memphis if its trying to head east. I would rather see them in there than Cincy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Based on what? Cincinnati is an urban, heavily commuter school that plays in a tiny stadium with no football tradition and has above-average at best academics. I don't think it's anything like any of the other Big Ten schools, except for the fact that it's located in the Midwest...barely. It would be a terrible fit for the Big Ten and actually for most of the other BCS conferences. In fact it's only a BCS school at the moment because the Big East, in its first act of desperation, elevated the school to such a status less than a decade ago. When the Big East goes away, there will be really no longer be a place in the top tier conferences for such a school unless the Big XII continues to resort to the same type of desperate tactics that the Big East used in 2005.

You just said it right there... The Big12 is Red State country! Cincy fits in less with them than with the Big10.

I didnt say Cincy could, would, or should be in the Big10. I said they fit better in the Big10 than they do the Big12. And I am strictly speaking culturally not anything that has to do with football.

No urban school in the (eastern) midwest belongs in the Big12... period

Old 05-12-2012, 09:49 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,704,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
You just said it right there... The Big12 is Red State country! Cincy fits in less with them than with the Big10.

I didnt say Cincy could, would, or should be in the Big10. I said they fit better in the Big10 than they do the Big12. And I am strictly speaking culturally not anything that has to do with football.

Take a look at the dreamers on this site:
"How do you not look into that option," asked Andy Haggard (who is the chairman of the Board of... - Crimson And Cream Machine

Old 05-12-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

Wow... what kinda stuff are they smoking!

FSU, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Pitt and Louisville... let them tell it, the Big 12 has their pick of the liter.

I'd love to hear who their sources are... Probably be something like Jed and Bubba who work security for the stadium!!!

Old 05-12-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Wow... what kinda stuff are they smoking!

FSU, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Pitt and Louisville... let them tell it, the Big 12 has their pick of the liter.

I'd love to hear who their sources are... Probably be something like Jed and Bubba who work security for the stadium!!!
Apparently, what got the media outlets buzzing was a discrepancy in FSU's Chairman of Trustees (at least looking at what Big 12 payout) desire for investigation into possible realignment and the views of FSU's Pres. (not looking at Big 12 solely committed to ACC).

FSU says "misinformation" spread about ACC contract - CBSSports

Smokescreen? These things usually are.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:55 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,410,179 times
Quote:

Cincinnati's actually a pretty conservative city. But I digress...the point is that UC has no place in either conference based on a number of factors. They will never end up in the Big Ten, that's a guarantee. They may someday (perhaps even soon) end up in the Big XII, because the Big XII is desperate and changing. Louisville and Cincinnati are very similar, and if Louisville goes to the Big XII, it's no stretch that Cincinnati could be next in line.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Cincinnati's actually a pretty conservative city. But I digress...the point is that UC has no place in either conference based on a number of factors. They will never end up in the Big Ten, that's a guarantee. They may someday (perhaps even soon) end up in the Big XII, because the Big XII is desperate and changing. Louisville and Cincinnati are very similar, and if Louisville goes to the Big XII, it's no stretch that Cincinnati could be next in line.
For the last time... I never said they would be in the Big10. So why are u discussing it?

As far as Cincinnati being conservative? Seems our fellow members here at CD disagree and say it just appears that way compared to other Northeast cities. But it's still left...

Conservative Cincinnati?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:46 AM

Interesting.....
Florida State to Big 12 buzz builds - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

and here.....
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ur-conferences

Old 05-14-2012, 08:48 AM

Both of those articles have serious disclaimers and only state the benefits of FSU for the Big12... Not why FSU should leave the ACC or why they would. They also mentioned the Big12 schools getting $20 million for the new tv deal. That number declines when add schools...

Florida State is too large a brand to go play second fiddle to Texas and Oklahoma in a conference they have no other synergies with...

I still say the if they ever left the ACC it would be for the SEC... Which they are even bringing up. Here's a quote from Andy Haggard now... from this article: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...ngs/54946564/1

"All I tried to say was I think Florida State needs to keep an open mind," Haggard said Sunday morning. "If the Big 12 or the SEC or any other conference wants to talk, we have an obligation to listen. If the Big 12 calls, should we hang up the phone? No.
"I'm not saying take it. I'm saying listen to it. Listen to what they have to say. … My only point is to listen to anybody who wants to talk — especially in these economic times."

They even mention Virginia Tech... And just like Oklahoma State and Oklahoma are attached at the hip, so are Virginia and Virginia Tech. That's how Virginia Tech got in the ACC in the first place.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 05-14-2012 at 09:00 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 10:35 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,410,179 times
Quote:
For the last time... I never said they would be in the Big10. So why are u discussing it?

As far as Cincinnati being conservative? Seems our fellow members here at CD disagree and say it just appears that way compared to other Northeast cities. But it's still left...

Conservative Cincinnati?
No disrespect, I just thought the mentioning of the Big Ten being a better fit was off the mark. I think they're a bad fit for both conferences about equally...just for different reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football