U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2012, 10:49 AM

2,489 posts, read 1,150,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
No disrespect, I just thought the mentioning of the Big Ten being a better fit was off the mark. I think they're a bad fit for both conferences about equally...just for different reasons.
Understood.

This is where Internet/Email/Text allow for misnterpretation.

Because my statement was to show how ridiculous it is for them to be in the Big12 by saying they fit better in the Big10 (which is ridiculous as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 PM

4,055 posts, read 3,649,078 times
Default Suprised the FSU Pres. Even Said Anything...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...and-thoughtful

I don't see any of this amounting to much....UNLESS, the Big 12 could find some way to get FSU out of debt from the exit fees, etc. It would have to be the deep pockets at OU/TX want to save the Seminoles. I don't see that happening for a team four states away from Big 12 Land, however.

Sorry FSU Fanbase/Alums, your administrators/school officials failed at managing your money and budget.....so now you find yourself in a tough spot and a weak TV contract favoring your Carolina basketball *yawn* schools.

As a Sooner, I can say I'd love to have you, but it probably ain't happening unless the stars align.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 05-14-2012 at 07:24 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,801,862 times
According to rumors, now VA Tech is talking behind the scenes to the SEC in case some combination of FSU/Clemson/Miami go to the Big 12.

Of course the source swears to this, but again I will use the word "rumors".

Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 PM

4,619 posts, read 3,709,447 times
I hate what college football has become

Old 05-15-2012, 07:54 AM

2,307 posts, read 1,390,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
I hate what college football has become
I would agree. All of these schools moving around and money has to be the sole factor in their decisions.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:33 PM

695 posts, read 769,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
According to rumors, now VA Tech is talking behind the scenes to the SEC in case some combination of FSU/Clemson/Miami go to the Big 12.

Of course the source swears to this, but again I will use the word "rumors".

It's no secret that the SEC it trying the BIG and PAC-12 route by starting a conference network. And the way to make the most
money off that is to add new markets (states) that will expand cable subscribers. Which is why the SEC would gain very little by
adding FSU or Clemson.

And the president at Miami wants the University to be known for academics and not athletics (football), so I doubt Miami leaves the ACC.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 AM

4,055 posts, read 3,649,078 times
Default And the hits just keep coming for the ACC....

The Big 12 and SEC have agreed to provide a matchup of their conference champions in the event that simultaneously one of their teams doesn't comprise one of the four highest ranked teams under the new and upcoming playoff model.

Why wasn't the ACC the SEC's partner? It makes much more geographical sense that the SEC and ACC would be partnered in this manner.

The SEC has conceded that the Big 12 is in a position of strength now and provides the best opportunity for the big $$$ in college football.

Also, this could have big implications for possible realignment if the ACC football schools get even more miffed at the apparent lack of interest by the ACC powers that be towards football-centric schools (FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Miami, G-Tech).

Here's the link: SEC, Big 12 agree to bowl matchup if left out of four-team playoffs - NCAA Football - CBSSports.com News, Scores, Stats, Schedule and BCS Rankings

Old 05-18-2012, 10:43 AM

3,172 posts, read 1,350,556 times
Well, the chances of an SEC conference Champion being left out of the big 4 is NILL. At least for the near future but dominance tends to be fleeting and the SEC could easily find it self on the outside looking in some time in the distant future... I think that the SEC choice of the Big 12 over the ACC is pretty obvious.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
The SEC has conceded that the Big 12 is in a position of strength now and provides the best opportunity for the big $$$ in college football.

...You wish!

The SEC threw the Big12 a bone... like hey sorry I stole 2 of your girlfriends, but here's a gift to make up for it!

The Big 12 are the ones who concede the SEC has the power. No way the Big 10 would do this with the SEC if it was raped by the SEC...

Big 12: "We are relevant! We are relevant! We are relevant!"
Rest of the World: "No you're not." *yawn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Well, the chances of an SEC conference Champion being left out of the big 4 is NILL. At least for the near future but dominance tends to be fleeting and the SEC could easily find it self on the outside looking in some time in the distant future... I think that the SEC choice of the Big 12 over the ACC is pretty obvious.
Exactly!

And until the SEC starts losing its home grown talent to other conferences in droves... it will not be looking on the outside in any foreseeable future!

Old 05-18-2012, 12:44 PM

This deal just shows that the Big 4 conferences are...

Pac 12 vs B1G (Rose Bowl)
Big 12 vs SEC (Sugar Bowl probably)

In addition it is leverage for the SEC. They know they will field a team in the top 4 of the playoff. This gives them another money making bowl tie in.

For the Big 12... it gives them "security" if and when they do not field a team in the top 4 of the playoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football