U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 10:09 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,610,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
What is seriously going on?
I keep asking it: when are voters finally going to wake up and realize that OU is a has-been and stop perpetually starting them off in the top ten? If OU played in the SEC, they'd have a losing record every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:54 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,545,205 times
OU looked weak. I think Stoops is paying the price for the carousel of defensive coordinators he has. Their defense has been a thorn for some time now and regularly plays below their talent level. Just like A&M last year, they couldn't stop Collin Klein when they had to.

I think OU's run in the top 5 is over and they are now fighting to be a top 15 team. The Big12 now looks like a WVU/Texas vs. KSU south vs. north contest.

I thought it was ridiculous to see Texas ranked 10th in the coaches poll. 10th???? Once again all the coaches suck up to Mack Brown just in case they want to work for him in the future.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,711,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I keep asking it: when are voters finally going to wake up and realize that OU is a has-been and stop perpetually starting them off in the top ten? If OU played in the SEC, they'd have a losing record every year.
"Every" year is obviously an egregious overstatement.

THIS year, you may be right. If Blake Bell doesn't fumble the ball on the 2 yard line with 4 downs to score, OU still wins the game. I disagree with MSM, the defense played more than well enough to win. The offense, well, we saw what that has become. It was so ugly to watch that most Sooner fans I know couldn't even talk about it. It was just flat out bad. The turnovers were gimmes. They weren't even created by K-State, but caused by two QBs that are not mentally tough. The Cats were essentially spotted 14 points.

Landry Jones has an incredible arm with no mental toughness. That's what is so sad. OU was superior in every physical way, but not mentally tough, which is by far the most important.

I think many Sooner fans are realizing too that our offensive coordinators are so pass happy that they always have to have "balance" even when the run is overly successfully. Whaley was blowing K-State up and then they went away from him. Why? All in the name of "balance." This is beyond nonsensical IMO.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:32 PM

Default Stoops Has A Point, BUT...

This won't fly in Norman. Much like Bama, these Okies will not settle for "ok" or that was a "good" season. Stoops better get it together or he's gonna have to sell that mansion in north Norman in the not too distant future.

Stoops says No. 16 Sooners aren't slipping | College Football

Old 10-06-2012, 09:36 AM

Might be a long day for the Sooners again. No team has played the Sooners better than Tech over the last several years. Not to mention we gotta deal with them while getting batteries/paint/cow-chips thrown at us by some of the Tech fans!

We'll see if Stoops & Co. have gotten the players to buy in and be mentally tough. Our players need to play with classic Sooner attitude.....which is MEAN/ANGRY. We haven't had that edge for about 4-5 years now. Hope we can find it somewhere. Until I see a few solid well-played games I'm not buying it. OU might truly be in the middle of a rebuilding year, we just didn't know it to begin with because of the return of Landry and the ridiculously overrated ranking at the beginning of the season. We'll see and I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by Bass&Catfish2008; 10-06-2012 at 09:49 AM..

Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 AM

32,427 posts, read 17,768,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
lol.

Never thought I'd see the day when both OU & Texas fans were claiming how much their own teams sucked.

Us UT fans already have KSU inked in as a loss in December, with us going 1-3 against OSU, WV, OU, & Baylor.

Snyder is the Best Coach in the Dinky Dozen, followed by Stoops, Briles, Brown, & ImaMan.
I have always liked Mack Brown. I actually like OU's program, I just can't stand Stoops.

I think part of KSU's success against UT in the past was they simply over looked us, like we were still KSU from the 1990s.

BTW, OU spanked us (KSU) bad last year. So I was especially glad when we won this year. Playing OU is the highlight game of the year from me every year.

The second highlight would be the UT/OU game.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 AM

3,912 posts, read 4,854,553 times
OU-27
Taco Tech-17

Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 PM

Default It's Time...OU-tejas!

Solid win over Tech. We've seen what the Sooners can do, but I'm still guessing we've got the Jekyll&Hyde syndrome.

Which Sooner Team will show up? I think the best all around facet of the Sooners this year has been their D and/or kicking game and special teams. Mike Stoops seems to have the Defense moving in the right direction. We'll see. That Horn O-Line will not be any walk in the park. Big 'ol cornfed whiteboys getting ready to blow off the ball will wear us down if we don't get the stops we need.

Plus, Ash can throw the ball. We've seen it the last few games. The kid has grown up. He'll keep the Sooners honest.

The Horns will be bigger and faster than Tech, for sure. I'm hoping OU comes out hungry and ANGRY/MEAN again! That's the OU of old. That's the OU tradition. I'm hoping they remember to bring it with 'em for the state of Oklahoma on Saturday.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Solid win over Tech. We've seen what the Sooners can do, but I'm still guessing we've got the Jekyll&Hyde syndrome.

Which Sooner Team will show up? I think the best all around facet of the Sooners this year has been their D and/or kicking game and special teams. Mike Stoops seems to have the Defense moving in the right direction. We'll see. That Horn O-Line will not be any walk in the park. Big 'ol cornfed whiteboys getting ready to blow off the ball will wear us down if we don't get the stops we need.

Plus, Ash can throw the ball. We've seen it the last few games. The kid has grown up. He'll keep the Sooners honest.

The Horns will be bigger and faster than Tech, for sure. I'm hoping OU comes out hungry and ANGRY/MEAN again! That's the OU of old. That's the OU tradition. I'm hoping they remember to bring it with 'em for the state of Oklahoma on Saturday.
Some good insights/quotes: SoonerSports.com - Official Athletics Site of the Oklahoma Sooners - Football

Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,545,205 times
My guess on the Texas OU game:

OU's defense is still suspect. Texas can and will move the ball. If the Texas OL plays well Texas will score enough to win.

The key is whether or not OU can take advantage of Texas' even more suspect defense. If Landry and bunch play to their potential they too will score.

Texas special teams, especially placekicking, is in terrible shape right now. A close game works against Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football