U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,417 posts, read 7,748,114 times
Reputation: 3069

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Hey, B&C2008, I talked to a man from church tonight who was at that OU/ND game in 55. He said he was in the stands with his Dad. Pretty cool.
Hey RB!

Yeh, I'm guessing that guy form the '55 game is still hurting after OU's loss on Saturday night. I'm hoping we can get some much needed revenge on ND next year....but that's a long time to wait!

A few observations about the game:

1. I think "Big Game Bob" has really come to resent that title. More like "Big Game BOOB" as one of my old Sooner friends put it.

2. Landry Jones can't be blamed for this defeat. The kid threw the ball around great....precise passing and many times his receivers (and running backs out of the backfield) dropped balls on big 2nd/3rd down plays. Big Game BOOB & Staff were outcoached in pretty much every phase of the game. The inability of OU's coaching staff to make some changes in the 4th quarter (in reaction to ND totally controlling the clock in the 3rd) is ridiculous and should never happen at home. Never. Hats off to Kelly and the ND staff....they did a great job of controlling the game with tough D, running the ball on offense, and converting big third downs late in the game when it mattered. (Sounds like K-State!....although, OU's game against ND was much cleaner than the game against Kansas State.)

3. The officiating (at Owen Field) was horrible. The Big East officiating crew were far from objective from my perspective. The recall of Bell's touchdown at the end of the 1st half was debatable....call came AFTER the celebration in the endzone and the kicking team was on the field! Bell was already around the end of the line before the hold even occurred. Horrible call and changed the momentum of the game. Also, an absolutely unacceptable call was not overturning Teo's "interception." First of all, Saunders (OU receiver) was mauled before the ball even got to him by the ND defensive back....then the tip of the ball touched the ground as Teo was going to the ground to secure it. OU had a great chance to tie the game up at that point only down one TD with 4 minutes to go. No dice. Yankee Officials =

4. The Sooners should absolutely positively boycott ALL big games at night. This needs to be a stipulation in OU's TV contract. Seems like the only games we lose anymore are primetime TV in the 7pm/8pm block....and OU has amassed several games now in the last 5-8 years where the games that should have been quite manageable become disastrous.....the majority of them occurring at night. Big Game BOOB doesn't seem to know how to get his players ready for night games (See Tech/Baylor/O-State last year, K-State/ND this year....not to mention several losses in BCS bowl games = all occurring at night.)

5. The Sooners had more team speed and better athletes up/down the roster....but once again, Stoops and his staff (the OC Hyple especially) underutilize their playmakers once again. Where was Trey Millard? Where were the holes for Damien Williams? Where were the throws DOWN field to monster receiver Justin Brown and speedster Kenny Stills? The short answer to this dilemma is that ND's D played that well. I'm not buying it. You don't keep ALL those playmakers bottled up ALL game....one of them eventually is going to do something significant. Final analysis of Big Game BOOB and Staff = they underutilized their playmakers. It made all the difference in the game.

6. As much as the loss was attributed to the Sooner Coaching Staff's poor preparation and poor gameplan (especially on offense), the final score---30-13---was not anywhere close of indicative of how close the game was even up with 3-4 min. to play. It's a shame that ND got a few scores in slop up time because I'm sure many that didn't watch the game assumed it was a beatdown. Not true. Hopefully the Sooners can retain some pride and finish strong and get ready for next year's game with ND. Who cares if they stole our "Play Like A Champion" sign from us there in South Bend, they're living up to it better in the present time. Hopefully next year will be a different story.

7. I am hoping that K-State can go all the way. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE (even friggin' USCor ND) other than an SEC team could win the national title and I would be happy. If K-State wins out and plays for the national title then OU (assuming it wins out too) will have a decent chance at still playing in a BCS game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,417 posts, read 7,748,114 times
Reputation: 3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Hey RB!

Yeh, I'm guessing that guy form the '55 game is still hurting after OU's loss on Saturday night. I'm hoping we can get some much needed revenge on ND next year....but that's a long time to wait!

A few observations about the game:

1. I think "Big Game Bob" has really come to resent that title. More like "Big Game BOOB" as one of my old Sooner friends put it.

2. Landry Jones can't be blamed for this defeat. The kid threw the ball around great....precise passing and many times his receivers (and running backs out of the backfield) dropped balls on big 2nd/3rd down plays. Big Game BOOB & Staff were outcoached in pretty much every phase of the game. The inability of OU's coaching staff to make some changes in the 4th quarter (in reaction to ND totally controlling the clock in the 3rd) is ridiculous and should never happen at home. Never. Hats off to Kelly and the ND staff....they did a great job of controlling the game with tough D, running the ball on offense, and converting big third downs late in the game when it mattered. (Sounds like K-State!....although, OU's game against ND was much cleaner than the game against Kansas State.)

3. The officiating (at Owen Field) was horrible. The Big East officiating crew were far from objective from my perspective. The recall of Bell's touchdown at the end of the 1st half was debatable....call came AFTER the celebration in the endzone and the kicking team was on the field! Bell was already around the end of the line before the hold even occurred. Horrible call and changed the momentum of the game. Also, an absolutely unacceptable call was not overturning Teo's "interception." First of all, Saunders (OU receiver) was mauled before the ball even got to him by the ND defensive back....then the tip of the ball touched the ground as Teo was going to the ground to secure it. OU had a great chance to tie the game up at that point only down one TD with 4 minutes to go. No dice. Yankee Officials =

4. The Sooners should absolutely positively boycott ALL big games at night. This needs to be a stipulation in OU's TV contract. Seems like the only games we lose anymore are primetime TV in the 7pm/8pm block....and OU has amassed several games now in the last 5-8 years where the games that should have been quite manageable become disastrous.....the majority of them occurring at night. Big Game BOOB doesn't seem to know how to get his players ready for night games (See Tech/Baylor/O-State last year, K-State/ND this year....not to mention several losses in BCS bowl games = all occurring at night.)

5. The Sooners had more team speed and better athletes up/down the roster....but once again, Stoops and his staff (the OC Hyple especially) underutilize their playmakers once again. Where was Trey Millard? Where were the holes for Damien Williams? Where were the throws DOWN field to monster receiver Justin Brown and speedster Kenny Stills? The short answer to this dilemma is that ND's D played that well. I'm not buying it. You don't keep ALL those playmakers bottled up ALL game....one of them eventually is going to do something significant. Final analysis of Big Game BOOB and Staff = they underutilized their playmakers. It made all the difference in the game.

6. As much as the loss was attributed to the Sooner Coaching Staff's poor preparation and poor gameplan (especially on offense), the final score---30-13---was not anywhere close of indicative of how close the game was even up with 3-4 min. to play. It's a shame that ND got a few scores in slop up time because I'm sure many that didn't watch the game assumed it was a beatdown. Not true. Hopefully the Sooners can retain some pride and finish strong and get ready for next year's game with ND. Who cares if they stole our "Play Like A Champion" sign from us there in South Bend, they're living up to it better in the present time. Hopefully next year will be a different story.

7. I am hoping that K-State can go all the way. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE (even friggin' USCor ND) other than an SEC team could win the national title and I would be happy. If K-State wins out and plays for the national title then OU (assuming it wins out too) will have a decent chance at still playing in a BCS game.
*Remove the USC reference. I had forgotten that they lost to Arizona last weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,868,455 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Hey RB!

Yeh, I'm guessing that guy form the '55 game is still hurting after OU's loss on Saturday night. I'm hoping we can get some much needed revenge on ND next year....but that's a long time to wait!

A few observations about the game:

1. I think "Big Game Bob" has really come to resent that title. More like "Big Game BOOB" as one of my old Sooner friends put it.

2. Landry Jones can't be blamed for this defeat. The kid threw the ball around great....precise passing and many times his receivers (and running backs out of the backfield) dropped balls on big 2nd/3rd down plays. Big Game BOOB & Staff were outcoached in pretty much every phase of the game. The inability of OU's coaching staff to make some changes in the 4th quarter (in reaction to ND totally controlling the clock in the 3rd) is ridiculous and should never happen at home. Never. Hats off to Kelly and the ND staff....they did a great job of controlling the game with tough D, running the ball on offense, and converting big third downs late in the game when it mattered. (Sounds like K-State!....although, OU's game against ND was much cleaner than the game against Kansas State.)

3. The officiating (at Owen Field) was horrible. The Big East officiating crew were far from objective from my perspective. The recall of Bell's touchdown at the end of the 1st half was debatable....call came AFTER the celebration in the endzone and the kicking team was on the field! Bell was already around the end of the line before the hold even occurred. Horrible call and changed the momentum of the game. Also, an absolutely unacceptable call was not overturning Teo's "interception." First of all, Saunders (OU receiver) was mauled before the ball even got to him by the ND defensive back....then the tip of the ball touched the ground as Teo was going to the ground to secure it. OU had a great chance to tie the game up at that point only down one TD with 4 minutes to go. No dice. Yankee Officials =

4. The Sooners should absolutely positively boycott ALL big games at night. This needs to be a stipulation in OU's TV contract. Seems like the only games we lose anymore are primetime TV in the 7pm/8pm block....and OU has amassed several games now in the last 5-8 years where the games that should have been quite manageable become disastrous.....the majority of them occurring at night. Big Game BOOB doesn't seem to know how to get his players ready for night games (See Tech/Baylor/O-State last year, K-State/ND this year....not to mention several losses in BCS bowl games = all occurring at night.)

5. The Sooners had more team speed and better athletes up/down the roster....but once again, Stoops and his staff (the OC Hyple especially) underutilize their playmakers once again. Where was Trey Millard? Where were the holes for Damien Williams? Where were the throws DOWN field to monster receiver Justin Brown and speedster Kenny Stills? The short answer to this dilemma is that ND's D played that well. I'm not buying it. You don't keep ALL those playmakers bottled up ALL game....one of them eventually is going to do something significant. Final analysis of Big Game BOOB and Staff = they underutilized their playmakers. It made all the difference in the game.

6. As much as the loss was attributed to the Sooner Coaching Staff's poor preparation and poor gameplan (especially on offense), the final score---30-13---was not anywhere close of indicative of how close the game was even up with 3-4 min. to play. It's a shame that ND got a few scores in slop up time because I'm sure many that didn't watch the game assumed it was a beatdown. Not true. Hopefully the Sooners can retain some pride and finish strong and get ready for next year's game with ND. Who cares if they stole our "Play Like A Champion" sign from us there in South Bend, they're living up to it better in the present time. Hopefully next year will be a different story.

7. I am hoping that K-State can go all the way. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE (even friggin' USCor ND) other than an SEC team could win the national title and I would be happy. If K-State wins out and plays for the national title then OU (assuming it wins out too) will have a decent chance at still playing in a BCS game.
I'm sorry but #4 is absurd. Boycotting night games? WTH? OU has some of it's biggest wins in prime time the last 5 years. Think Nebbish and oSu in 2010, FSU 2011, TT 2008, BCS Bowl 2010.

Bottom line is that OU has gotten beat by better teams the last few years, half of whom you mentioned.

OU needs to step up not back down. Make every game a prime time night game as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,417 posts, read 7,748,114 times
Reputation: 3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
I'm sorry but #4 is absurd. Boycotting night games? WTH? OU has some of it's biggest wins in prime time the last 5 years. Think Nebbish and oSu in 2010, FSU 2011, TT 2008, BCS Bowl 2010.

Bottom line is that OU has gotten beat by better teams the last few years, half of whom you mentioned.

OU needs to step up not back down. Make every game a prime time night game as far as I'm concerned.
Obviously, #4 is hyperbolic. I'm so sick&tired of watching OU lose every other big game on primetime. Gotta get it done or we're not sniffing that natty anytime soon.

I'm not buying the better team bit though. We're getting outcoached in big games. We have the athletes. But they're lacking an ANGRY attitude and killer attitude of the Sooners of old. That starts with the coaches.

Amen on the stepping up. It's been time for about seven years now. Let's do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,868,455 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Obviously, #4 is hyperbolic. I'm so sick&tired of watching OU lose every other big game on primetime. Gotta get it done or we're not sniffing that natty anytime soon.

I'm not buying the better team bit though. We're getting outcoached in big games. We have the athletes. But they're lacking an ANGRY attitude and killer attitude of the Sooners of old. That starts with the coaches.

Amen on the stepping up. It's been time for about seven years now. Let's do it.
I'm in.

On to ISU. OUr last trip to Ames was a nailbiter. I think it was Bradfords frosh year?(2007?)

Lets hope these guys didn't give up on the season. I've got my Zing Zang bloody mary mix chillin, ready for the 11 AM kickoff. Couple of Tri-tips ready to bbq after the game.

OU football, a couple of Tri-tips with a high of 72* on November 3rd? Life is good.

Super bonus if Tulsa wins. Too bad its at the same time as the OU game. That sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2012, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,489 posts, read 10,528,156 times
Reputation: 5402
Does anyone think the Oklahoma Sooners can still get to a BCS bowl game if they win the rest of their games on the schedule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2012, 06:03 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,868,455 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Does anyone think the Oklahoma Sooners can still get to a BCS bowl game if they win the rest of their games on the schedule?
For sure. IMO, the only thing that would screw it up (besides an OU loss) is that if texas wins out and beats KSU. In that scenario I could see them jumping OU in the BCS and possibly getting selected over OU. (which would be complete bull****)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2012, 08:08 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,868,455 times
Reputation: 1825
soonerpsycho is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,437 posts, read 8,451,975 times
Reputation: 7100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
For sure. IMO, the only thing that would screw it up (besides an OU loss) is that if texas wins out and beats KSU. In that scenario I could see them jumping OU in the BCS and possibly getting selected over OU. (which would be complete bull****)
But that would be sweet Karma after the 2008 joke.

Ain't gonna happen. Texas ain't worthy of a BCS bowl this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 05:42 PM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,868,455 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
But that would be sweet Karma after the 2008 joke.
Don't worry. You guys changed the rules so that wouldn't happen again. LOL.

I think it's still possible that both OU and texas go to BCS Bowls. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top