U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 PM

5,417 posts, read 7,734,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Louisville is off the table... Y'all need to act fast.
Yeh, the Big XII should go hard after VT (waiting for the SEC though?) and FSU. If Clemson and Georgia Tech (great market) want to come along then lets go ahead and get 'em too.

Those would all be very respectable adds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 06:36 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,420,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yeh, the Big XII should go hard after VT (waiting for the SEC though?) and FSU. If Clemson and Georgia Tech (great market) want to come along then lets go ahead and get 'em too.

Those would all be very respectable adds.
VT is probably definitely waiting on the SEC.

FSU/Clemson should be the number 1 priorities...

I'm not sure GT is a good choice. Only because they play second fiddle to UGA. I mean almost irrelevant... I live in Atlanta, so I'm speaking first hand.

FSU and Clemson are not second fiddle to the SEC schools in their states. They are just as popular.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
VT is probably definitely waiting on the SEC.

FSU/Clemson should be the number 1 priorities...

I'm not sure GT is a good choice. Only because they play second fiddle to UGA. I mean almost irrelevant... I live in Atlanta, so I'm speaking first hand.

FSU and Clemson are not second fiddle to the SEC schools in their states. They are just as popular.
Oh, I know Tech is way behind the Bulldogs. However, wouldn't the Big XII/networks/media-deal be able to make some $$$ off of all those TV sets?

Also, it would give the Big XII a footprint in a very fertile recruiting ground. Perhaps more of a strategic add from the recruiting perspective.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Oh, I know Tech is way behind the Bulldogs. However, wouldn't the Big XII/networks/media-deal be able to make some $$$ off of all those TV sets?

Also, it would give the Big XII a footprint in a very fertile recruiting ground. Perhaps more of a strategic add from the recruiting perspective.
Of course it's possible.

But I don't think the TV sets (consumers) here will want the Big12 network just because of GT... They want the SEC network. I don't see them all of sudden watching GT and the Big12 over UGA and SEC games. Just not gonna happen. This is the epicenter of the SEC. Atlanta has always been the biggest city in SEC country.

All the other schools in the SEC besides Vandy (and they are grandfathered in) are the flagship schools in those states. The majority of people want to see them. GT is probably the 5th biggest school in the state of GA. There just are not enough people behind it to think it will garner that kind of attention.

The recruiting aspect is nice for the Big12 but thinking it will increase the tv money is at best wishful.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Of course it's possible.

But I don't think the TV sets (consumers) here will want the Big12 network just because of GT... They want the SEC network. I don't see them all of sudden watching GT and the Big12 over UGA and SEC games. Just not gonna happen. This is the epicenter of the SEC. Atlanta has always been the biggest city in SEC country.

All the other schools in the SEC besides Vandy (and they are grandfathered in) are the flagship schools in those states. The majority of people want to see them. GT is probably the 5th biggest school in the state of GA. There just are not enough people behind it to think it will garner that kind of attention.

The recruiting aspect is nice for the Big12 but thinking it will increase the tv money is at best wishful.
I hear ya. It would make a difference if GT followed say, an FSU, which is right down the road. I'm guessing that would make the allure of having a presence in HotLanta a little more palatable with a smaller fanbase like Tech.

How big a school is GT? How many can they pull in on a Saturday afternoon? We've got a few smaller schools here in the Big XII, 50,000-60,000+. Where would Tech fall?

Old 12-01-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I hear ya. It would make a difference if GT followed say, an FSU, which is right down the road. I'm guessing that would make the allure of having a presence in HotLanta a little more palatable with a smaller fanbase like Tech.

How big a school is GT? How many can they pull in on a Saturday afternoon? We've got a few smaller schools here in the Big XII, 50,000-60,000+. Where would Tech fall?
Good point... As the wingman to FSU they would be good. I wasn't thinking in those terms. They would be perfect in that regard.

And the school is pretty small. 20K total but only 13K undergrad. And the stadium is decent size, 55K. But it's 3/4 full normally with alot of the fans being from the other school.

The following is the only problem with Tech. Otherwise a good choice.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:08 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,863,143 times

Eight is Great. Boomer!

Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 PM

8,488 posts, read 10,505,654 times
I would rather see the Sooners play in the Sugar bowl instead of the Fiesta Bowl.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I would rather see the Sooners play in the Sugar bowl instead of the Fiesta Bowl.
For sure. We match up a whole lot better to a very good uf team than a very good uo team. Either way the
Big 12 is probably getting the toughest BCS matchups outside of the MNCG.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:49 PM

Welp. Looks like it's going to be OU vs LSU/A&M in the Cotton Bowl. Hope it's LSU since we've played A&M every year for the past 14 years. Should be a great game either way though. We'll most likely be without one of our top receivers. Jalen Saunders got arrested last night. SMH. Wouldn't be a proper bowl season without having some of our best players suspended or hurt. WTF.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 12-02-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football