U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 08:21 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,856,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
But Oklahoma doesn't have the guts to play Auburn and A&M. Those are SEC West teams. They play SEC East teams. They play Baylor! Wow!

Oh, but last season, they beat Alabama... yada yada yada, so there is that. A chewed-up and spit out Bama after they got beat by Auburn. So there is that.
Oklahoma doesn't have the guts to play A&M? Go to bed. Get out of OUr thread with that nonsense.

aTm, with the exception of the recent fluke season, has always been OU's whipping boy. It was very common to see scores of 64-10 and 77-0. Ags are the 2nd rate team in the state of texas, and that will always be the case no matter which conference they happen to ride the coattails in.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 09-15-2014 at 08:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 10:07 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,432,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Oklahoma doesn't have the guts to play A&M? Go to bed. Get out of OUr thread with that nonsense.

aTm, with the exception of the recent fluke season, has always been OU's whipping boy. It was very common to see scores of 64-10 and 77-0. Ags are the 2nd rate team in the state of texas, and that will always be the case no matter which conference they happen to ride the coattails in.
I think Oklahoma is a elite team. ( my opinion). In my eyes I think as of now Oregon, a&m, and auburn are best teams. Can that change.? Well time will tell. The season is still young.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:26 AM

13,720 posts, read 25,558,395 times
Quote:

No doubt OU has has had a strong upper hand over A&M over the last ten years. A&M of course won the last meeting, and won in 2010. But otherwise it hasn't been pretty. A&M has had three coaches over that time - beginning with the terrible Dennis Franchione.

A&M is the 2nd rate team in the state of Texas now? Why do you say that? A&M would easily beat Texas now. I think they would beat Baylor too - though that would be an interesting show of offense. I'm sure Baylor fans think differently.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
No doubt OU has has had a strong upper hand over A&M over the last ten years. A&M of course won the last meeting, and won in 2010. But otherwise it hasn't been pretty. A&M has had three coaches over that time - beginning with the terrible Dennis Franchione.

A&M is the 2nd rate team in the state of Texas now? Why do you say that? A&M would easily beat Texas now. I think they would beat Baylor too - though that would be an interesting show of offense. I'm sure Baylor fans think differently.
They've always been the 2nd rate team in texas. Sure they won the cotton bowl a couple years ago. That was their biggest bowl win since 1987, another cotton bowl victory. They've never won a bcs bowl and won a conference title when, 15 years ago? Good luck to them this year. I'd love for the Sooners to play them in the new playoff this year. Aggies ain't ****.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
They've always been the 2nd rate team in texas. Sure they won the cotton bowl a couple years ago. That was their biggest bowl win since 1987, another cotton bowl victory. They've never won a bcs bowl and won a conference title when, 15 years ago? Good luck to them this year. I'd love for the Sooners to play them in the new playoff this year. Aggies ain't ****.
I won't argue that before 2012 as part of the Big12 the Aggies were not a very good team. They tied for the Big12 title in 2010 - when Texas finished 6th. The Longhorns have only won one Big12 title - in 2005.

But things are different now. Nothing stays the same. Just like OU was a nothing special under Blake, Schnellenberger, and Gibbs. Stoops fixed that lost decade.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
I won't argue that before 2012 as part of the Big12 the Aggies were not a very good team. They tied for the Big12 title in 2010 - when Texas finished 6th. The Longhorns have only won one Big12 title - in 2005.

But things are different now. Nothing stays the same. Just like OU was a nothing special under Blake, Schnellenberger, and Gibbs. Stoops fixed that lost decade.
Just for clarification the aggies tied for Big12 south in 2010. OU beat Nebraska in the Championship game that year. Texas also won the Big12 in 2009 and 1996 for a total of three times. Aggies have one Big12 championship in 1998. Now that they are "shredding" the SEC says more about the SEC and less about the Aggies IMO. Sumlin couldn't win C USA with a dominate UH team. I won't be holding my breath waiting for him to win an SEC Championship.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:45 AM

8,399 posts, read 8,388,277 times
Quote:

Mackovic won a big 12 title, and Brown's last title was in 2009.

The only reason A&M is slightly ahead of UT in the state at this recent point is because of the past 4 years of Brown's failure - and A&M is still a middle of the road team in their conference just like they were in the Dinky Dozen. Even with their best team since 1939.

We'll see how it all pans out after Strong gets his own agenda rolling and has rid the 40 acres of all the Brown deadwood.

Of course this season the Sooners, Baylor, OSU, WVU, TCU, KSU, and maybe even ISU will have their way with Bevo before he gets it sorted out.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Just for clarification the aggies tied for Big12 south in 2010. OU beat Nebraska in the Championship game that year. Texas also won the Big12 in 2009 and 1996 for a total of three times. Aggies have one Big12 championship in 1998. Now that they are "shredding" the SEC says more about the SEC and less about the Aggies IMO. Sumlin couldn't win C USA with a dominate UH team. I won't be holding my breath waiting for him to win an SEC Championship.
That's pretty much the way I see it, but one never knows.

Stoops revived his Sooners with his manhandling of Bama, but he might have screwed up with the Mizzou receiver he adopted.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I stand corrected about the the 2010 A&M season - and Texas' 2009 season.

I never said A&M was shredding the SEC, did I? A&M may never win the SEC championship. They may never win the SEC West (though winning the West would likely produce an SEC championship).

Where do you think Texas would finish in the SEC West right now? Where do you think OU would finish? OU looks good so far.

By the way - since 2010 Texas has a 4-16 or 20% winning record against ranked opponents. A&M's record over the same period is 9-15 for a 37.5% winning percentage.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected about the the 2010 A&M season - and Texas' 2009 season.

I never said A&M was shredding the SEC, did I? A&M may never win the SEC championship. They may never win the SEC West (though winning the West would likely produce an SEC championship).

Where do you think Texas would finish in the SEC West right now? Where do you think OU would finish? OU looks good so far.

By the way - since 2010 Texas has a 4-16 or 20% winning record against ranked opponents. A&M's record over the same period is 9-15 for a 37.5% winning percentage.
Yet A&M has had their best season since 1939 in that span & a Heisman winner, and Texas had its worst since 1956 - not to mention our worst defense since the program was founded..... with almost no quarterbacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football