U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:56 PM

1,130 posts, read 554,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
I looked for a Sooners thread but do not see any so I made a new thread, am I the only Sooners fan here?
When I was in HS in the 80s, we had several teen athletes move into the area from Oklahoma. One of them was extremely racist - a blonde white guy. His behavior reminded me of the teen villain of the Cobra Kai in that old "Karate Kid" film with that "mercy is for the weak" hateful bullying.

But a Cherokee Indian (mixed-blooded/part-white and also from Oklahoma) tore the racist guy's knee in football practice in a hard tackle on a goal-line stand. I remember that white supremacist from Oklahoma crying in pain.

After witnessing that immense white-supremacist hatred from that Oklahoma teen, I wrongly assumed Oklahoma was a racist white state teeming with white supremacy. Boy was I ever wrong.

In reality, the racism is in reverse. I read the book by the "Boz" or Brian Bosworth. I also saw the comments by his old coach, Barry Switzer. The reverse-racism in Oklahoma is such that the white athlete is slow in the backfield. That's why Troy Aikman was benched in preference for Jamelle Holloway. The "Boz" was very blunt about it - Troy was too "slow and white". Switzer reasserted that reverse-racism against "slow white quarterbacks" a few years ago.

So I was bewildered. On the one hand, I saw the white racism of an out-of-control teen in HS from Oklahoma who had moved to my HS in rural Az. But that guy never made it to college DI football. At OU, the coaches actually thought whites were too slow for the running back or dual-threat quarterback role. Oklahoma racism is bizarre in both directions (the teen white supremacist who was injured badly vs the OU coach who is at the other extreme in his views).
Now former coach Barry Switzer says he'd 'never recruit a white quarterback' | FOX Sports

As for Native Americans (which I am), I saw that OU actually played Sam Bradford - a mixed-blooded Cherokee. There are many mixed-blooded Cherokees in that state - like the guy who tackled and injured that white supremacist. A lot of those Oklahoma Cherokees are part Scottish with reddish-brown hair.

Looking back, I still find that whole picture crazy for the stubborn bigotry going back and forth. I guess in Oklahoma you can expect the racism to go either way in some cases.

As for the "Boz", he eventually sued the NFL for CTE. Looking back, that racist white teen I mentioned appeared to have been suffering CTE at the time with his hateful mood swings. I read that even HS students can get it.
Brian 'The Boz' Bosworth -- The NFL Messed Up My Head ... Medically Speaking | TMZ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 04:59 PM

6,852 posts, read 6,186,695 times
The above post is really not an accurate depiction of reality.

First, Jamelle Holieway started over Troy Aikman because he had just led OU to the national championship and they had evolved the offense to fit Jamelle's talents. Troy wasn't a wishbone QB.

Secondly, Switzer commenting about black athletes was part of his schtick. If a white guy was his best QB he played the white guy. To wit, his first QB was Steve Davis, ironically a mixed race Cherokee. In the early '80s his best QB was a guy named Kelly Phelps. He started for a couple of years.

As far as running backs? Even by the mid '80s white running backs were rare in the higher levels of football. Today they are almost non existent.

The claims of racism and reverse racism surrounding Oklahoma football just aren't accurate. Like most teams they played the best players regardless of skin color.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:55 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

First, Jamelle Holieway started over Troy Aikman because he had just led OU to the national championship and they had evolved the offense to fit Jamelle's talents. Troy wasn't a wishbone QB.

Secondly, Switzer commenting about black athletes was part of his schtick. If a white guy was his best QB he played the white guy. To wit, his first QB was Steve Davis, ironically a mixed race Cherokee. In the early '80s his best QB was a guy named Kelly Phelps. He started for a couple of years.

As far as running backs? Even by the mid '80s white running backs were rare in the higher levels of football. Today they are almost non existent.

The claims of racism and reverse racism surrounding Oklahoma football just aren't accurate. Like most teams they played the best players regardless of skin color.

Old 10-15-2017, 01:56 PM

Fun highlights of OU's victory over the Shorthorns: SoonerSports.tv

Old 10-15-2017, 03:45 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,858,898 times
It was a fun Red River Rivalry to watch. Texas kept it interesting in the second half (even taking the lead), but in all honesty OU missed some opportunities in the first half that would have made the game out of reach. Still, we need both Texas and OU to be strong in order for this conference to gain any sort of respect. It would also help if my EERs would not blow opportunities like verse VT this year, Miami last year, etc...

Old 10-21-2017, 10:12 AM

32,427 posts, read 17,761,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

Thank you, eddie gein. Good post.

That post by grad student was laughable. i hope this game at KS State is televised.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:21 PM

2,534 posts, read 1,825,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Thank you, eddie gein. Good post.

That post by grad student was laughable. i hope this game at KS State is televised.
Fox is covering here in Tennessee so probably nationally or at least regionally. Weather may cause a delay though

Old 10-23-2017, 07:48 AM

Another nail biter. I'll take the W any day though.

Baker singlehandedly won that game. Without Baker, OU is an average team...like the rest of the Big XII.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:15 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,153,351 times
Congrats, Bass.

Hope Baker does well the rest of the season. Trivia question: where does his girlfriend live these days?

Also, looks like Coach Riley has the team on a good footing. It seems like he’s sort of a counterbalance right now to Mike Stoops, in a way (calm presence/poker face). Coach McNeill is an underrated addition, being a psychology major and great defensive mind (wish Tech would have hired him in 2010).

Old 10-29-2017, 07:27 PM

8,379 posts, read 8,369,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Another nail biter. I'll take the W any day though.

Baker singlehandedly won that game. Without Baker, OU is an average team...like the rest of the Big XII.
You're giving the rest of the B12 too much credit - but OU ain't what it used to be either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football