U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 04:27 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,331,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
First, maybe decaf.

Who will "buy out" his contract? His contract with the A's specified he could play football, but must report to spring training or pay back his bonus. He signed the standard 4 year deal. He would still be under control of the A's until the next draft.

Additionally, the MLB draft has slot values for draft picks, much like the NFL.

The ninth overall pick comes with a slot value of $4,761,500.

There are things that can be bargained, but not that much. He simply has no leverage, in the real world, to force the A's hand. First round draft picks in baseball can, and do, go unsigned. He can re-enter the draft, but I doubt anyone would give up a first or second round pick for him.

For your reading pleasure: https://www.mlb.com/news/as-kyler-mu...us/c-280111876

He can buy out his contract by paying back the bonus or whatever his contract stipulates for a buyout. He could also negotiate a buyout into a possible NFL contract. As I pointed out in my previous post, Baker Mayfield's NFL contract last year was for 53.8 Million. Assuming Kyler Murray's is similar or possibly a little more, there is plenty of room to work out a buyout for his contract with the A's. That is how contracts and contract negotiations work.

The "slot value" is just the signing bonus. lol It has nothing to do with the actual value, term, length, buyout clauses, other bonuses for hitting milestones, etc. Seriously, you are going to post a link for me to read on slot values for bonuses as an argument against contract negotiations?

I could post you some links for your reading pleasure but I would assume you know how google works since you found your bonus slot value link. I can't believe we are having to bicker about things covered in contracts 101. This **** is freshman level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 05:29 PM

3,140 posts, read 1,793,602 times
I understand the slot bonus. But he signed a 4 year deal. Could the A's give him more? Sure. But they don't have to. He can't "buy out" his contract. As far as professional baseball is concerned, the A's own his rights. He can't just go play for another baseball team. The same will be true when he is drafted into the NFL. His rights will belong to one team. He can simply "retire" from baseball if he wants to play football. That's a given.

From Scott Boras: "Kyler has agreed and the A's agreed to a baseball contract that gave him permission to play college football through the end of the collegiate season," Boras said. "After that, he is under contract to play baseball. That is not a determination to make. It's already done."

The Sporting News, on baseball contracts: http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/n...91do3ifgzsd5h1

Last edited by m1a1mg; 01-21-2019 at 05:48 PM..

Old 01-22-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I understand the slot bonus. But he signed a 4 year deal. Could the A's give him more? Sure. But they don't have to. He can't "buy out" his contract. As far as professional baseball is concerned, the A's own his rights. He can't just go play for another baseball team. The same will be true when he is drafted into the NFL. His rights will belong to one team. He can simply "retire" from baseball if he wants to play football. That's a given.

From Scott Boras: "Kyler has agreed and the A's agreed to a baseball contract that gave him permission to play college football through the end of the collegiate season," Boras said. "After that, he is under contract to play baseball. That is not a determination to make. It's already done."

The Sporting News, on baseball contracts: Kyler Murray dilemma should be catalyst for MLB to change prospect enticement setup | MLB | Sporting News

Who said anything about playing for another baseball team? We are specifically discussing whether he will play baseball for the A's or football for whoever drafts him and how much money he will get out of the route he chooses. As I have already stated numerous times, he can buy out his baseball contract and go play football for an NFL team. I don't know why you are going on this tangent about other baseball teams. He can't play baseball for another baseball team unless the A's release him or trade him. Everybody already knows that.

Why do you keep posting quotes to discussion of his current baseball contract? We all have known for months he signed with the A's and has a contract with them.

Did you read the news story at the link you just provided on the sportingnews website? You posted a link to a story that says exactly to the word what I have been trying to tell you. It specifically says now that Kyler has entered the draft, he has leverage and is renegotiating his contract with the A's for more money. It also says that MLB has given them the OK to up his contract in negotiations because he has so much leverage. LMAO! That story proves what I have been trying to get you to understand about contacts, leverage and negotiations. Wait and you will see them probably up his signing bonus significantly, offer him a significant guaranteed contract for a set amount of years and shorten his term to free agency.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:40 AM

3,140 posts, read 1,793,602 times
I think we're just talking past each other now.

He can't buyout his A's contract. He can simply go play football. That was the whole point of this for me.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I think we're just talking past each other now.

He can't buyout his A's contract. He can simply go play football. That was the whole point of this for me.

If he decides to go play football, how does his contract that he has signed, has been paid the signing bonus and has no show clauses get paid back if he doesn't execute the buyout/no show clauses?

I think you are confused between the contract itself and the A's rights to him under MLB rules since he signed. Those are two completely different things. If he goes to football, his contract has to be settled since he signed it and accepted the money contingent upon his reporting to spring training. If he doesn't report to spring training and goes with football, his contract has to be bought out according to the terms which may be as simple as paying back his signing bonus or could have other terms. The A's still retain the rights to him for the term according to MLB rules if he was to later decide to go back to baseball.

He has already used his leverage to get the A's to petition MLB and MLB granted them permission to automatically add them to their 40 man roster and also offer him a full contract with major MLB money but Kyler still passed and is sticking to going to the NFL draft. At this time, he may still be trying to use the leverage to get even more money out of the A's but then he may just be going through with the NFL draft to see how big an offer he gets there and may play football instead. So basically, it is playing out exactly like I tried to tell you in the beginning but you didn't want to hear it at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football