Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 06:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
You're giving the rest of the B12 too much credit - but OU ain't what it used to be either.
Apparently OU can turn it on to beat the best defense in the nation (Texas Christian's).

I'll believe OU is back when that #8 National Title is sittin' with the other 7 over at the Switzer Center. Until then it's just the typical Big XII dominance and on to a high level bowl game not named the Playoff.

(Yes, I am a spoiled OU fan...we're used to winning, a lot, and that makes us greedy. But I'm just the typical Sooner Fan; anything less than championships is just not what we accept around here.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 05:31 AM

Default Sooners Do It Again...

OU pounds on Texas Christian again for another victory a few weeks later.

This Riley guy looks like he may be keeping OU where it belongs, right at the Top. Time to finish the deal. OU will be representing the Southwest brand in these last couple of games. We'll see if they can finish it off for good.

Here are some highlights from the Big XII Title. Enjoy: SoonerSports.tv.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:10 AM

Default Sooners 4 Straight Big12 Titles...

We're very spoiled in Sooner Land with our success. Sometimes we take it for granted. Pretty remarkable that OU's done it 4 in a row with a total of 12 Big 12 championships.

Enjoy:

https://www.foxsports.com/southwest/video/1386115139650

https://newsok.com/article/5616608/s...n-playoff-spot

Old 01-14-2019, 02:04 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
I see Murray just declared for the NFL draft.
Thought MLB baseball would be his pro career.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:41 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I see Murray just declared for the NFL draft.
Thought MLB baseball would be his pro career.
It will be unless an NFL team offers a crazy amount. He is just testing the waters and can use it to get leverage for more money in baseball if he gets a better offer from an NFL team. It is a smart business move.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
It will be unless an NFL team offers a crazy amount. He is just testing the waters and can use it to get leverage for more money in baseball if he gets a better offer from an NFL team. It is a smart business move.
He already has a contract with the A's. I don't think he can really apply that much leverage.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
He already has a contract with the A's. I don't think he can really apply that much leverage.
You obviously have never negotiated contracts. You can always renegotiate a contract if you have leverage. If he gets a better deal from a NFL team and threatens to go with it instead, the A's can either renegotiate his contract and offer more money or let him go to the NFL. It is just that simple and that is exactly why he entered the NFL draft.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
You obviously have never negotiated contracts. You can always renegotiate a contract if you have leverage. If he gets a better deal from a NFL team and threatens to go with it instead, the A's can either renegotiate his contract and offer more money or let him go to the NFL. It is just that simple and that is exactly why he entered the NFL draft.
Huh? He's already accepted the bonus money. Sure, he can go to the NFL, but he can't force the A's hand. He can do one or the other.

Let me guess, you've negotiated major sports contracts?

Old 01-21-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Huh? He's already accepted the bonus money. Sure, he can go to the NFL, but he can't force the A's hand. He can do one or the other.

Let me guess, you've negotiated major sports contracts?
Jesus, I am going to have to spell it out for you aren't I? This is basic business contract negotiation for crying out loud.

His contract can be bought out or renegotiated. Any contract can be renegotiated if both parties agree. If he gets a major offer from the NFL, he can negotiate in a buyout of his baseball contract or if the A's are interested enough, renegotiate his contract with them. Baker Mayfield for example, got a 21.8 million signing bonus and 32 million guaranteed contract with the NFL. If Kyler gets that or most likely better, he has all the leverage in the world with the A's to get a better deal if he would really rather play baseball. They can't pay NFL money, but they can probably sweeten the pot more if they really want him. Of course, they could always say their offer is their offer and the contract has been signed....take it or leave it. Who knows, he has to get drafted in the first round of the NFL for any of this to matter first so we shall see.

No, I haven't negotiated major sports contracts but I have negotiated many, many, many business and employment contracts. The same principles apply, you are just negotiating a different type of business.

I really think he will play baseball though. He is a little small for the NFL and "mobil" quarterbacks usually stay injured a lot in the NFL. The smart thing to do would be play baseball and likely have a very long career rather than going to the NFL and getting all broken up and end up relegated to backup duty in a few years.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Jesus, I am going to have to spell it out for you aren't I? This is basic business contract negotiation for crying out loud.

His contract can be bought out or renegotiated. Any contract can be renegotiated if both parties agree. If he gets a major offer from the NFL, he can negotiate in a buyout of his baseball contract or if the A's are interested enough, renegotiate his contract with them. Baker Mayfield for example, got a 21.8 million signing bonus and 32 million guaranteed contract with the NFL. If Kyler gets that or most likely better, he has all the leverage in the world with the A's to get a better deal if he would really rather play baseball. They can't pay NFL money, but they can probably sweeten the pot more if they really want him. Of course, they could always say their offer is their offer and the contract has been signed....take it or leave it. Who knows, he has to get drafted in the first round of the NFL for any of this to matter first so we shall see.

No, I haven't negotiated major sports contracts but I have negotiated many, many, many business and employment contracts. The same principles apply, you are just negotiating a different type of business.

I really think he will play baseball though. He is a little small for the NFL and "mobil" quarterbacks usually stay injured a lot in the NFL. The smart thing to do would be play baseball and likely have a very long career rather than going to the NFL and getting all broken up and end up relegated to backup duty in a few years.
First, maybe decaf.

Who will "buy out" his contract? His contract with the A's specified he could play football, but must report to spring training or pay back his bonus. He signed the standard 4 year deal. He would still be under control of the A's until the next draft.

Additionally, the MLB draft has slot values for draft picks, much like the NFL.

The ninth overall pick comes with a slot value of $4,761,500.

There are things that can be bargained, but not that much. He simply has no leverage, in the real world, to force the A's hand. First round draft picks in baseball can, and do, go unsigned. He can re-enter the draft, but I doubt anyone would give up a first or second round pick for him.

For your reading pleasure: https://www.mlb.com/news/as-kyler-mu...us/c-280111876
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football