Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 PM

7,569 posts, read 6,016,015 times

Advertisements

I was given kind permission to start an official thread for the benefit of myself and the other two UNT Grads/fans on here with hopes that we will get more out of the woodwork.

Living far from Texas has kept me out of the loop, but last I heard, Coach McCarney is making it to the office every day for an hour or so and plans to be at the spring game at the end of March. I wish him all the best and if anyone has any updates please post them.

Second, I read over the recruiting signees, still a little short on wide receiver and Not as much size on the O-Line as I wanted but I hope the coaching staff will make good use of what they have. McCarney has a proven track record and if he can work within the NT system (budget, recruitment barriers etc) he may find success, and if he does, then he truly is a great coach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 05:47 PM

SCHEDULE IS OUT
[SIZE=2]2012 North Texas Football Schedule
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Date Opponent
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sept. 1 at LSU
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sept. 8 Texas Southern
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sept. 15 at Kansas State
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sept. 22 Troy* (Family Weekend)
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sept. 29 at FAU*
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Oct. 6 at Houston
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Oct. 16 Louisiana-Lafayette*
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Oct. 27 at Middle Tennessee*
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Nov. 3 Arkansas State* (Homecoming)
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Nov. 10 South Alabama*
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Nov. 17 at Louisiana-Monroe*
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Nov. 24 at Western Kentucky*

*Sun Belt Conference game[/SIZE]

Old 06-18-2012, 01:33 PM

Default Conference USA 2013

CONFERENCE USA for 2013 !!!!
This has got to be a step up for UNT out of the Sunbelt
New League Brings Three Texas Rivals - North Texas Mean Green Athletics

They may struggle to get established at first, but the increased exposure will bring more Money, more recruiting leverage and hopefully a more stable program at the university level.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:24 PM

8,590 posts, read 14,744,667 times
I gotta give UNT some props. They're trying their darndest not to be left behind in the realignment reshuffle. C-USA isn't the beast that it used to be, but the conference is at the top of the Non-AQ heap now that the big boys have decimated the Mountain West.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 AM

Predictions dont look good for the Mean Green this season. The team is thin on reserves, inexperienced and young. Of course, barring injuries or transfers, this will translate well to the C-USA jump in 2013 as the players will be more experienced going in. Also we have to consider the coach and his health issues. There have been no reports from Denton as to how he is feeling, how his stamina for example is. That will be a concern too.
They did schedule some big games, against LSU and Kansas tate which should bring in some $
I'll be watching them via Internet, hope they can keep building in the right path.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:17 AM

345 posts, read 1,026,013 times
Congrats to UNT for moving to C-USA next year. The Sun Belt (unfortunately) has always been a punching bag for the rest of the college football world. Being in C-USA should open up recruiting a bit more and make UNT a little more competitive from that angle.

I heard you guys moved into a new stadium last year. For the people who've been there; I hope it's a nice place to see a game. I've also heard a lot of mixed opinions on Denton in Texas forums. I was in Dallas and Fort Worth last year but never made it up. Looked at their football schedule and considered going to a game but for whatever reason it didn't work out. Good luck this season. Next Thursday, CFB season here we come

Old 08-28-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Millennium View Post
Congrats to UNT for moving to C-USA next year. The Sun Belt (unfortunately) has always been a punching bag for the rest of the college football world. Being in C-USA should open up recruiting a bit more and make UNT a little more competitive from that angle.

I heard you guys moved into a new stadium last year. For the people who've been there; I hope it's a nice place to see a game. I've also heard a lot of mixed opinions on Denton in Texas forums. I was in Dallas and Fort Worth last year but never made it up. Looked at their football schedule and considered going to a game but for whatever reason it didn't work out. Good luck this season. Next Thursday, CFB season here we come
I have not been there, I live in FLorida now.
I made mention how North Texas is kind of the Red Headed Stepchild of the area. Denton is a little far away so it is not considered by some people to be part of the metroplex; UNT has always lagged behind in sports coverage. That means TV will spend some timme showing highlights of TCU, SMU, then just give a quick mention of whether UNNT won or lost. Same in the papers. A paragraph about the Sun Belt including UNT, and several pages about TCU and SMU. Complete with photos.

The stadium has been criticized for being too small by major NCAA standards.

But I am hoping the C-USA move does pan out. I agree with you in that it should help with recruiting. Many of the recruits are cast-offs from Oklahoma and Texas Tech, and also some JC transfers. Hopefully the chance to play in front of more fans will help boost the program. I would think it may take some time to get established, but unless you have SMU's money in the 80's, programs are not built overnight. j

Old 09-04-2012, 05:30 PM

I was impressed with the Opening loss to LSU. COnsider the caliber of LSU's team, they have 44 solid , top caliber players ready on both sides of the ball. North Texas has two ror three.
There were a few bright points in the Loss. One was LB Derek Akune Running down an LSU RB. The other was the all out speed of Brelan Chancellor at WR, he flat out burned the DBs on LSU on route to a TD, no one had any chance of catching him. DB Hilbert Jackson delivered a hrad hit to the LSU QB that took him out of the game for a few plays. Nice to see that UNT has a hard hitter on defense.
The passing game was otherwise flat. Chancellor can probably outrun anyone he will face in the Sun Belt, but the kid is only 5' 8" and undersized for an SEC game againt LSU. North Texas will need the other recievers to pick up some of the slack and mix up pass routes in order to win. They have some decent players on defense, look very inexperienced but they fid mention a number of true freshment were starting for North Texas, so hopefully this will mean good things to come with the jump to C-USA next year.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,982,654 times
I never heard of North Texas until I started playing College Football Ea sports 2010 and it just so happens I picked NT for my career mode. So While not a huge NT fan but after playing with that team on my video game for 3 years I find myself checking the scores and standings every week and I root for them the win. I even thought of buying some NT gear to wear around town but haven't got there yet but Go Mean Green!

Old 09-04-2012, 11:07 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,305,381 times
Hey North Texas, Zach Mettenberger just called. He wants his head back. lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football