U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,374 posts, read 8,366,401 times
Reputation: 6970

Advertisements

Looks like the Big Money guys think the Big 12 is stabilized enough to throw $2.5 Billion at it:

Big 12, ESPN near TV rights extension - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2012, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Pixburgh
1,187 posts, read 1,150,546 times
Reputation: 1336
I don't know if this is true or not, but the Sports Business Journal sure has increased its hit count by about 1000%. Seen this story linked in 100 different places to that site, which I'm sure is a legit news service but never heard of it before. Waiting for the ESPN announcement before I get happy about the numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 PM
 
Location: In San Antonio
1,673 posts, read 2,721,398 times
Reputation: 1242
I so wish they would leave the Big 12 on ABC. Not a fox fan at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2012, 11:27 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,705,831 times
Reputation: 3054
Default Good points by Trammel....

Is the Big 12's new deal with ABC/ESPN a good idea? | NewsOK.com

The Big 12 will never have the regional unity that the SEC or the Big 10 share because you have South-Central/Southwestern states (OK/TX), Midwestern states (IA, KS), and now an eastern state (WV) comprising the conference membership. It's gonna be tough to convince a major network to air solely Big 12 games week in and week out like CBS/SEC and NBC/NotreDame.

The Big 12 is lucky to still be together at this point. It should have a "take the money and run" attitude right now because you never know when the next wave of conference realignment will occur. Hopefully, the Big 12 will continue to stay on the offensive.....we should add Louisville and Cincy and get this thing done for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2012, 12:02 PM
 
1,359 posts, read 4,378,459 times
Reputation: 771
I had hoped they might break away from ABC for one of the reasons mentioned in the article...as someone in CA I often don't get to see a lot of Big 12 games. This past season I got to see more than in years past, but they have been known to not broadcast even major games like OU/Texas or the Bedlam game from the season before last.

It's especially frustrating in years where most of the Pac-12 teams aren't doing that much--I think most viewers would rather see a game with some type of title implications involving ranked teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,705,831 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I had hoped they might break away from ABC for one of the reasons mentioned in the article...as someone in CA I often don't get to see a lot of Big 12 games. This past season I got to see more than in years past, but they have been known to not broadcast even major games like OU/Texas or the Bedlam game from the season before last.

It's especially frustrating in years where most of the Pac-12 teams aren't doing that much--I think most viewers would rather see a game with some type of title implications involving ranked teams.
I feel your pain. I lived on the West Coast for a time and could hardly stand the sports programming/coverage. Don't miss that a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2012, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,751 posts, read 3,096,011 times
Reputation: 1617
What a little turmoil will do to light a fire under the tails of conference management. After losing Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and Texas A&M, four programs with a great tradition in the conference, it is actually showing concern for the conference membership.

As one who opposed the Tigers' move to the SEC, the new TV deal is an action taken too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
8,374 posts, read 8,366,401 times
Reputation: 6970
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
What a little turmoil will do to light a fire under the tails of conference management. After losing Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, and Texas A&M, four programs with a great tradition in the conference, it is actually showing concern for the conference membership.

As one who opposed the Tigers' move to the SEC, the new TV deal is an action taken too late.
Mizzou has been firting with leaving the B12 for the Big 10 since it's inception, but the Big 10 didn't care.

The only loss I see is Nebraska. The rest are no big deal, and have been replaced by better programs (except for basketball).

Dunno what I'm going to do with my Mizzou cap now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 07:44 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,412 posts, read 7,705,831 times
Reputation: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Mizzou has been firting with leaving the B12 for the Big 10 since it's inception, but the Big 10 didn't care.

The only loss I see is Nebraska. The rest are no big deal, and have been replaced by better programs (except for basketball).

Dunno what I'm going to do with my Mizzou cap now.
I totally agree with you on the loss of Nebraska. Biggest loss by far. The A&M Tribe is crazy and hard to deal with but they did bring such a huge fanbase and large university cache to the table.

I've got a few ideas for that hat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top