U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2012, 06:38 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,419,384 times
Reputation: 1322

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know how strongly you feel about this and how much you dislike him, but he has never admitted to being unfaithful. We are all wondering what he did do, but none of us know. He admitted to a past unappropriate something or another, not adultary.


good grief.... its obvious you want to defend him and that winning football games is more important in your world than having a man with character lead your program. but don't try to insult our intelligence and use technicalities to do it. We all know "inappropriate" relationship in the media means "adultery". Why else would he apologize to his wife and kids?

Look at his track record. The man's character is horrible. At best he is a liar. At worst he is a philander and sexual harasser. Why would anyone want him representing their school? Who cares how good a coach he is... i can't imagine any parent wanting their kid to play for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2012, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
7,493 posts, read 10,109,240 times
Reputation: 5938
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know how strongly you feel about this and how much you dislike him, but he has never admitted to being unfaithful. We are all wondering what he did do, but none of us know. He admitted to a past unappropriate something or another, not adultary.
What else is "an inappropriate relationship" supposed to mean? One can have a certain level of relationship with an employee of the opposite sex, when does it become "inappropriate" outside of something of a sexual nature? Why has she removed her website about her upcoming wedding this summer?

I did not like what this man did to the Falcons. But that was four years ago and I haven't held ill will toward him. It is nothing personal. I do not appreciate a man of his stature and position at the school where my daughter is going to lie and use state employees to cover it up. He admitted he was in an adulterous relationship even though he never used the term adultery. I don't understand how you can believe it isn't adultery.

But it is the lying, the hiring of a girl with whom he was having an inappropriate relationship (whatever that means... I thought it was obvious what that meant) who was also engaged to a person on the athletic staff and involving state troopers in a cover up. That is TOO much mess to just sweep under the rug. A quiet affair that didn't leave his inner circle is not my cup of tea but the kind of thing that can be swept under a rug, especially when $$$ and winning football come into play. But this story is an embarassment to the school and the state. My daughter deserves better from her school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 PM
 
1,359 posts, read 4,386,779 times
Reputation: 771
To be a little more serious about it than in my previous posts here...
The guy has a bad reputation, probably one of the worst among active coaches, and they had to know they were making a deal with the devil when they hired him. I think most people thought he would end up doing to the Hogs what he had done to others--they were just hoping that in the meantime he would elevate the program. I think this was a little more than they bargained for.

I would be happy if they cut him loose, I think they might be in good enough shape now that they could probably keep moving forward. The football program has never had any major scandals associated with it at least as far as I know [although I guess Nutt was into some monkey business here and there], and I'd hate to see them become another punchline, although it may already be too late for that.

I don't think they will have the guts to let him go, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2012, 09:32 PM
 
Location: The "Rock"
2,551 posts, read 2,419,384 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I don't think they will have the guts to let him go, though.
Sadly, I believe you are 100% correct...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,185 posts, read 83,885,476 times
Reputation: 41955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post


good grief.... its obvious you want to defend him and that winning football games is more important in your world than having a man with character lead your program. but don't try to insult our intelligence and use technicalities to do it. We all know "inappropriate" relationship in the media means "adultery". Why else would he apologize to his wife and kids?

Look at his track record. The man's character is horrible. At best he is a liar. At worst he is a philander and sexual harasser. Why would anyone want him representing their school? Who cares how good a coach he is... i can't imagine any parent wanting their kid to play for him.
wow, I was probably the first person to post on the AR board what a jerk I have always thought he was. He has no personality, he is arrogant and known for his disloyalty, but I am simply being a realist here. Football supports the college and brings money into the state, he has produced a couple of top teams and maybe even a number one team this fall. I am not defending him, I am the one who has said, this is a no win situation for everyone, but I still maintain they are not going to fire him: maybe they will cut his salary, I don't even think that will happen.

BTW, do I think he meant adultery? Probably, but there are other situations, short of adultery that could be considered inappropriate. I just don't like people being so judgemental without knowing the situation and yes, I believe this is between his family, himself and his God. I talked to a couple of kids at our chruch last Sat, both said they did not think he should or would lose his job. I will add our church is pretty evangelical and conservative. One of the two is a student at U of A.

As for parents wanting their kids to play for him, I guess it takes someone who is really involved in sports to understand why a parent would want that. It is called "the future of my child's carreer" For kids who are not planning on a professional career I would agree, but 75% of those playing football or baseball as well as basketball at the college level think they will eventually go pro even though only a few make it.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2012, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,185 posts, read 83,885,476 times
Reputation: 41955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
What else is "an inappropriate relationship" supposed to mean? One can have a certain level of relationship with an employee of the opposite sex, when does it become "inappropriate" outside of something of a sexual nature? Why has she removed her website about her upcoming wedding this summer?

I did not like what this man did to the Falcons. But that was four years ago and I haven't held ill will toward him. It is nothing personal. I do not appreciate a man of his stature and position at the school where my daughter is going to lie and use state employees to cover it up. He admitted he was in an adulterous relationship even though he never used the term adultery. I don't understand how you can believe it isn't adultery.

But it is the lying, the hiring of a girl with whom he was having an inappropriate relationship (whatever that means... I thought it was obvious what that meant) who was also engaged to a person on the athletic staff and involving state troopers in a cover up. That is TOO much mess to just sweep under the rug. A quiet affair that didn't leave his inner circle is not my cup of tea but the kind of thing that can be swept under a rug, especially when $$$ and winning football come into play. But this story is an embarassment to the school and the state. My daughter deserves better from her school.
I am not disagreeing with you as to what ws probably meant by the comment, but there are ways of being involved in inappropriate relationships that do not go as far as adultery. I don't like the cover up, I don't like the whole thing, but I am looking at this from all sides and I do see two sides to it.

BTW, will your daughter stay at U of A if Patrino isn't fired or will she switch colleges and how does she feel?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2012, 08:26 AM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
5,417 posts, read 7,729,198 times
Reputation: 3069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post


good grief.... its obvious you want to defend him and that winning football games is more important in your world than having a man with character lead your program. but don't try to insult our intelligence and use technicalities to do it. We all know "inappropriate" relationship in the media means "adultery". Why else would he apologize to his wife and kids?

Look at his track record. The man's character is horrible. At best he is a liar. At worst he is a philander and sexual harasser. Why would anyone want him representing their school? Who cares how good a coach he is... i can't imagine any parent wanting their kid to play for him.
>>>>>
Look at his track record. The man's character is horrible. At best he is a liar. At worst he is a philander and sexual harasser. Why would anyone want him representing their school?
<<<<<

Not to mention the guy can't handle a motorcycle on a back-country road!

Perhaps his little lady was taking that "inappropriate relationship" to new and creative heights during the ride?

I keep waiting for some pics to come out showing Petrino in his boxers and his little lady in some swanky lingerie while riding on the motorcycle. They both were practicing safe riding of course as they had their helmets on....just nothing else!

Maybe she was even "sitting" on his lap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 AM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 16,349,462 times
Reputation: 7583
I posted this in the Arkansas forum...for what it's worth, I'm just mortified with him running his mouth. I, too, doubt they will get rid of him, but it won't break my heart if they do. You gotta stand for something...

Here's a funny little ditty making the rounds - listen all the way to the end:

The Ballad of Bobby Petrino* -- by The Chris Vernon Show.mp3 - File Shared from Box
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
7,493 posts, read 10,109,240 times
Reputation: 5938
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not disagreeing with you as to what ws probably meant by the comment, but there are ways of being involved in inappropriate relationships that do not go as far as adultery. I don't like the cover up, I don't like the whole thing, but I am looking at this from all sides and I do see two sides to it.

BTW, will your daughter stay at U of A if Patrino isn't fired or will she switch colleges and how does she feel?

Nita
Oh, she loves Arkansas, loves the student life, is very active in Young Life, has a 4.0. This just sullies the experience. She loves to go to the games, loves to root for the team but this isn't a make or break deal. I would love for her to see that her university is more intrested in the academic side of things as well as their reputation and character and integrity over football. I would think this would be a no brainer, but from your reports and other people's in the state, doesn't seem to be and that is sad IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2012, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,185 posts, read 83,885,476 times
Reputation: 41955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I posted this in the Arkansas forum...for what it's worth, I'm just mortified with him running his mouth. I, too, doubt they will get rid of him, but it won't break my heart if they do. You gotta stand for something...

Here's a funny little ditty making the rounds - listen all the way to the end:

The Ballad of Bobby Petrino* -- by The Chris Vernon Show.mp3 - File Shared from Box
I was going to refer a few on this thread to that; it is really clever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top