U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 AM

5,918 posts, read 6,552,644 times

Advertisements

I realize why conferences with 12 or more teams break into divisions:
they get to play a lucrative championship game when they do.

personally I'd love to see a 12 team league work without divisions with an 11 game round robin and a championship game only to break a tie at season's end. I know that won't happen.

but I have a much less radical idea I think could work so I'm offering it up here for your opinions:

TWO DIVISIONS RECAST EVERY SEASON

Seems to me that when you have two divisions, there is often an unbalance between the two. The Big 12 found that out on a regular basis when its southern division ran rings around the northern. Last year, the SEC West had the two best teams in the nation; obviously one of them, Alabama, didn't even make it to the conference championship game but did make it to the BCS championship.

So to avoid these problems and also to give conferences a much greater sense of unity (which permanent divisions may compromise), why not seed teams into the two divisions in late spring for the following fall?

advanced scheduling isn't needed; in fact, the dates have already been put aside in the conference. and the NFL gives an example of how balanced scheduling could be created by looking at the previous year's records to determine who plays whom.

now my idea wouldn't work like that: it would just assure as much as possible two balanced divisions. By whatever method a conference chose to use, it could divvy up the 12 or 14 into those two divisions so that there would be balance between the two divisions and that the top-to-bottom relationship within one division would be similar to the other.

Two rivalries could easily be protected, but conceivably on the basis of how the teams are divided, there would only need to be one or even zero used since the rivals could end up in the same division.

I don't think divisional loyalty has been an issue and shouldn't be: that doesn't work well for the conference. So this system could really make the relationship between all the schools the same.

what do you think?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:34 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,111,013 times
The Big Ten already does this, over a longer time frame.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:51 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I realize why conferences with 12 or more teams break into divisions:
they get to play a lucrative championship game when they do.

personally I'd love to see a 12 team league work without divisions with an 11 game round robin and a championship game only to break a tie at season's end. I know that won't happen.

but I have a much less radical idea I think could work so I'm offering it up here for your opinions:

TWO DIVISIONS RECAST EVERY SEASON

Seems to me that when you have two divisions, there is often an unbalance between the two. The Big 12 found that out on a regular basis when its southern division ran rings around the northern. Last year, the SEC West had the two best teams in the nation; obviously one of them, Alabama, didn't even make it to the conference championship game but did make it to the BCS championship.

So to avoid these problems and also to give conferences a much greater sense of unity (which permanent divisions may compromise), why not seed teams into the two divisions in late spring for the following fall?

advanced scheduling isn't needed; in fact, the dates have already been put aside in the conference. and the NFL gives an example of how balanced scheduling could be created by looking at the previous year's records to determine who plays whom.

now my idea wouldn't work like that: it would just assure as much as possible two balanced divisions. By whatever method a conference chose to use, it could divvy up the 12 or 14 into those two divisions so that there would be balance between the two divisions and that the top-to-bottom relationship within one division would be similar to the other.

Two rivalries could easily be protected, but conceivably on the basis of how the teams are divided, there would only need to be one or even zero used since the rivals could end up in the same division.

I don't think divisional loyalty has been an issue and shouldn't be: that doesn't work well for the conference. So this system could really make the relationship between all the schools the same.

what do you think?
Coming from an old Big 12 South fan, I think this is a great idea. It would promote more parity among the divisions and probably help with the overall strength of the conference in terms of unity and recruiting. Of course, this is essentially what we have in the Big 12 now with ten teams. The only drawback of course is the lack of a conference championship....so you would have to have ALL the major conferences participating in this format for it to go over properly in terms of national perception.

I know when the Big 12 had two divisions, there was an "us" and "them" problem. All the Big 12 South people looked down their nose on the North teams for not being up to par on a regular basis and all the North teams looked down on their Southern brethren as backward rednecks. To quote former Nebraska coach Bill Callahan after his first trip to Norman, Oklahoma: Okies are just a bunch of "f....." hillbillies."

I don't see it happening, but it's a good idea.

One thing that is true: college football would be SO MUCH BETTER RUN if they would just let us City-Data College Forum Members have control!

Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 PM

5,918 posts, read 6,552,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Coming from an old Big 12 South fan, I think this is a great idea. It would promote more parity among the divisions and probably help with the overall strength of the conference in terms of unity and recruiting. Of course, this is essentially what we have in the Big 12 now with ten teams. The only drawback of course is the lack of a conference championship....so you would have to have ALL the major conferences participating in this format for it to go over properly in terms of national perception.

I know when the Big 12 had two divisions, there was an "us" and "them" problem. All the Big 12 South people looked down their nose on the North teams for not being up to par on a regular basis and all the North teams looked down on their Southern brethren as backward rednecks. To quote former Nebraska coach Bill Callahan after his first trip to Norman, Oklahoma: Okies are just a bunch of "f....." hillbillies."

I don't see it happening, but it's a good idea.

One thing that is true: college football would be SO MUCH BETTER RUN if they would just let us City-Data College Forum Members have control!
thanks for the nice comments, Bass. Actually in my other plan here (remember, my main one was two divisions set up each season that would still work the same way that the current system does) where I mentioned an 11 game round robin for a 12 team conference, I did include the provision for a championship game if there is a tie at the end of the season. Two teams tie they play a championship game. Three or my teams tie, the that will play are done by formula (point differential, head-to-head competition, etc......whatever the conference decides).

Now what would that mean?

Number one, when a conference championship is played, it would have far more meaning and competition since the teams have the same record.

and second....as related to mathematics as much as I can make it....

it would be highly unlikely for a team to go 11-0. 10-1 would be rare and it would probably not have two teams tied with that record (or it could). when you get down to 9-2, you have a very good chance for a tie. and, of course, from 8-3 down, you'd have an excellent almost certain championship match up.

i had a back-up for the conferences as part of my plan, too: if a team won the championship out-right, it would play a game at the same stadium at the same date with against a team invited from another conference with an excellent record. thus when you buy your ticket, you know you will either be seeing the conference championship or a match up of the conference champion against a great opponent from another conference.

I see my idea as "having your cake and eating it, too"

Old 04-19-2012, 01:29 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,714,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
thanks for the nice comments, Bass. Actually in my other plan here (remember, my main one was two divisions set up each season that would still work the same way that the current system does) where I mentioned an 11 game round robin for a 12 team conference, I did include the provision for a championship game if there is a tie at the end of the season. Two teams tie they play a championship game. Three or my teams tie, the that will play are done by formula (point differential, head-to-head competition, etc......whatever the conference decides).

Now what would that mean?

Number one, when a conference championship is played, it would have far more meaning and competition since the teams have the same record.

and second....as related to mathematics as much as I can make it....

it would be highly unlikely for a team to go 11-0. 10-1 would be rare and it would probably not have two teams tied with that record (or it could). when you get down to 9-2, you have a very good chance for a tie. and, of course, from 8-3 down, you'd have an excellent almost certain championship match up.

i had a back-up for the conferences as part of my plan, too: if a team won the championship out-right, it would play a game at the same stadium at the same date with against a team invited from another conference with an excellent record. thus when you buy your ticket, you know you will either be seeing the conference championship or a match up of the conference champion against a great opponent from another conference.

I see my idea as "having your cake and eating it, too"
>>>>>
I did include the provision for a championship game if there is a tie at the end of the season
<<<<<

Gotcha. Sounds like a great idea. It makes far too much logical sense, however, for the NCAA/BCS to go for it.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:01 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,415,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
I did include the provision for a championship game if there is a tie at the end of the season
<<<<<

Gotcha. Sounds like a great idea. It makes far too much logical sense, however, for the NCAA/BCS to go for it.
Im with you... How hard can it be to realize that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football