U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:14 PM

6,351 posts, read 3,801,309 times
Default More bad news for the ACC

This is what happens when you neglect football.

Quote:
The news surrounding Big 12 expansion is moving much more quickly after word of the Big 12/SEC bowl alliance came out late this past week. The latest news I can report is that Clemson has agreed in principle to leave the ACC for the Big 12.
While no similar agreement is in place with FSU, word is that the administration has “come around” on the issue, and they will follow Clemson’s lead in short order. From the moment it became clear that FSU’s Board of Trustees wanted to make the move, it has been basically a fait accompli.
It is happening, and quickly.
Agreement In Principle for Clemson To Join Big 12; Florida State To Follow - Jug of Snyder - A Kansas State Wildcats Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 02:35 PM

2,490 posts, read 1,167,979 times
Looks like FSU is done deal too...

FSU to the Big 12 – “It is Inevitable” | College Football News, Opinion and Analysis | Chuck Oliver.Net

If any of this is true I was completely wrong... The ACC will fall as a football conference then.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Looks like FSU is done deal too...

FSU to the Big 12 – “It is Inevitable” | College Football News, Opinion and Analysis | Chuck Oliver.Net

If any of this is true I was completely wrong... The ACC will fall as a football conference then.
This was coming from a mile away. The ACC fumbled the ball and the Big 12 just ran it in for a touchdown, literally.

The ACC made some poor expansion choices, Pitt, BC, Syracuse, etc. I understand Miami, but Miami's football program failed and they are giving up on trying to improve it. VT was good, but as suffered under the ACC too. I wonder where VT will go?

Old 05-20-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I wonder where VT will go?
They (Ingram Smith) are saying VT and NC State are shoe ins for the SEC now. 2 new markets... And they shouldn't have trouble gettin them as no other schools would object.

Although Virginia may make a big stink with VT leaving them in the wind.

Expect GT and Pitt to jump ship too... possibly to Big12 if it expands further.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 05-20-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
This was coming from a mile away. The ACC fumbled the ball and the Big 12 just ran it in for a touchdown, literally.

The ACC made some poor expansion choices, Pitt, BC, Syracuse, etc. I understand Miami, but Miami's football program failed and they are giving up on trying to improve it. VT was good, but as suffered under the ACC too. I wonder where VT will go?
In addition, The ACC's fumble was the TV contract... Not the schools it selected.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
They (Ingram Smith) are saying VT and NC State are shoe ins for the SEC now. 2 new markets... And they shouldn't have trouble gettin them as no other schools would object.

Although Virginia may want make a big stink with VT leaving them in the wind.

Expect GT and Pitt to jump ship too... possibly to Big12 if it expands further.
I am biased, a WVU grad, so I want VT to go to the Big 12. It would revive the rivalry and they would do better in the Big 12. In the SEC they would be in the middle, but in the Big 12 they could rival with WVU, UT, and Oklahoma to be conference champion.

With that being said SEC would probably pay more money, be geographically closer, and is more prestigious.

GT is probably a clinch for the Big 12. I am not sure if the Big 12 is going to take Pitt. There are better choices.

Miami is probably not getting out, with their current situation. At least not until things are cleared up.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I am biased, a WVU grad, so I want VT to go to the Big 12. It would revive the rivalry and they would do better in the Big 12. In the SEC they would be in the middle, but in the Big 12 they could rival with WVU, UT, and Oklahoma to be conference champion.

With that being said SEC would probably pay more money, be geographically closer, and is more prestigious.

GT is probably a clinch for the Big 12. I am not sure if the Big 12 is going to take Pitt. There are better choices.

Miami is probably not getting out, with their current situation. At least not until things are cleared up.
I didn't know VT and WVU were rivals... that's good inside info. I hate to burst ur bubble But there's no way WVU is competing for a title right away in the Big12. They could barely win the Big East.

Yea GT is a GREAT move for the Big12 because it's in Georgia. One of the best recruiting hotbeds in the SEC. Although with it being an academic school they really don't add that much value outside of market because they don't get a lot of big time recruits.

Ingram is saying the Big12 wants Pitt to entice ND as that is their holy grail.

and I'm with on u Miami... They are screwed.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:54 PM

4,091 posts, read 3,705,347 times
Wow!

Didn't expect it to come out that quick. I thought it might happen over a few years. Interesting to see if this is the real deal or not.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I didn't know VT and WVU were rivals... that's good inside info. I hate to burst ur bubble But there's no way WVU is competing for a title right away in the Big12. They could barely win the Big East.

Yea GT is a GREAT move for the Big12 because it's in Georgia. One of the best recruiting hotbeds in the SEC. Although with it being an academic school they really don't add that much value outside of market because they don't get a lot of big time recruits.

Ingram is saying the Big12 wants Pitt to entice ND as that is their holy grail.

and I'm with on u Miami... They are screwed.
They were big rivals.

And I think you are underestimating WVU, which teams tend to do. In fact the Big 12's own Oklahoma did so and got whooped by 20 points, the ACC did so and had the most embarrassing lost in BCS history, and WVU even beat the ACC in a BCS bowl.

Now WVU is a really good team, that is prone to making stupid mistakes and getting unlucky. With good couching they could be a leader in the Big 12.

If Pitt could bring ND into the Big 12 I imagine the Big 12 would let them in, and pay some of their exit fee. Without ND I think it is a longshot.

About GT, they are an academic school. However, that is irrelevant to the football. The current NCAA system is doing with conferences that are academically similar. It is irrelevant to the actual football played, and the money to be made.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
About GT, they are an academic school. However, that is irrelevant to the football. The current NCAA system is doing with conferences that are academically similar. It is irrelevant to the actual football played, and the money to be made.
Expansion is not about "football" being played. It is about the money you mentioned! And Tech doesn't bring any...

GA Tech is not a national brand nor do they bring a big market. Sure they are in Atlanta (which I live in by the way). But any person who has ever been here knows they are irrelevant. Atlanta is Bulldog country. Always has been and always will be. Hell Atlanta is more Auburn Tigers country than Yellow Jackets. Auburn, who's school is much bigger than Tech has almost the same number of alumni here. So again SEC country. In addition the school and stadium are tiny. So they don't bring in any tv viewers, any fans, or a brand... so again no "money" value outside of the Big 12 being able to have another school in an SEC state. This is the win for the Big12 because the best athletes are coming from SEC states.

I notice u left out the SEC when bragging on the opponents WV beat this year...

And one thing you should be concerned about as a WV alumnus is that If FSU or Clemson doesn't come where are u all going to get ur players? Some of ur best players are from The south... The only reason WV is on their radar is if the conference has a presence down here. so u all NEED schools in ur conference to have a presence down south to survive. There is not enough home grown talent in WV.

Last edited by Mr. GE; 05-20-2012 at 04:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football