Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,774,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
I say we pave over the Bel Air Country Club and build one on Sunset right across from campus.

But then I don't care for golf. lol.

I would LOVE for us to have a home stadium, but not sure how much of a difference it would make. Maybe a smaller one that is really nice. Like I really like that one TCU just built that JJG posted above. It is small but nice. We are never going to bring 100k a game like UT does. But something that is smaller and nice and perhaps with a great view would be cool. Like I love Washington's Husky Stadium in Seattle. There are some great views of LA near and could you imagine a smaller (say 60k?) but nice stadium kinda like Husky Stadium but with a view of LA? I would love that! Not sure anyone would come to the games or not, but I think that there is potential.
I'd say that pretty much describes what UCLA's Pac 12 buddies did up in Palo Alto where there was no need for an 80,000 seat stadium but a new 55,000 seat one (with the fans right on top of the field for a change) did make sense. meanwhile, skip Sunset and clear away some high rises on Wilshire for the new Bruins' lair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,386,371 times
My school is Colorado State University - Pueblo. Its a division 2 school with a relatively new football program as it was brought back about 4 years ago. I will do my best to answer the questions but they are educated guesses on my part.

First the football stadium. I am quite proud of it as it was paid for by donor's and is a very nice stadium for a division 2 school and one of the largest.

As a side note. The stadium was built in a bowl and its called the Thunderbowl. Its already one of the most attended division 2 stadiums and one of the loudest.

• Who are the people who fill the stands and watches the games on t.v.?

Students and most people from the Pueblo MSA.

• How much of a factor is the school's alumni in coming to the games?

Big factor. In fact they have a tail gait party before every game and its a lot of fun.

• what is the geographic footprint of your school's fan base....from where do they draw fans to the game.

This is a tough one. CSU Pueblo is the flag ship university for the Pueblo region that is 20 counties in 2 states. However since the football program is so new its mostly the Pueblo MSA for now, however, I can see it growing to be the premier division 2 school in the state drawing students and a fan base for people who like football but not necessarily division 1. Already students come from a large area and not just the city of Pueblo.

• For state schools, is the whole state the base of fan support or does the school draw only regional support?

Same as the last one as right now its regional support but as the school grows and gets better, CSU Pueblo is ranked 6th in the nation now, I could see them becoming the permanent division 2 school in the state.

• what other universities share an overlap geographically with your university for a fan base?

There is really is no division 2 university to compare CSU Pueblo too in Colorado and its not fair to compare CSU Pueblo to a division 1 school, at least for now. In my opinion CSU Pueblo is its a category of its own and that is good for the school's future.

• If your school is in a metro area, does the metro area follow the team or is it not a major draw there?

CSU Pueblo is the highest football team in the Pueblo region and for "local" sports gets all the attention. Sure Denver has the Broncos and we are huge Bronco fans but when its about local sports its all about CSU Pueblo. In fact the team is often refereed to as simply "Pueblo" by local and out of state people when talking about the team. When "Pueblo" made the playoffs last year the entire MSA was talking about it and when they win the national title it will be huge not only in Pueblo but the Pueblo region and state.

• Are there special relationships that affect the fan base....such as Catholics being Notre Dame fans?

Not really or at least not that I know of.

• any other info about the fan base would be nice.

Its a new and growing fan base. I envision the school to the the power house in the next 10 to 20 years in division 2 and then will be a regional school. That is great for the university and Pueblo and why I am glad its in division 2 and not division 1.

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-20-2012 at 05:35 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 01:08 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,605,362 times
Mine is the University of Nebraska in Lincoln, Nebraska. Lincoln is a town of about 225,000 people in southeast Nebraska- about an hour west/southwest of the bigger city of Omaha.
It's a school of about 25,000 students, the football stadium currently holds 85,000 people- but is being upgraded to hold about 91,000. Every single home game has been sold out since 1962, giving them the longest sell-out streak in the nation.

• Who are the people who fill the stands and watches the games on t.v.?

Students, alumni, and anyone else who can get tickets. The fan base is wide ranging, life in Lincoln and across Nebraska revolves around football so all focus is on these games when they are going on. And for those that can't go to the games, the vast majority of residents across the state are at home or in sports bars watching on TV. Stores will even put the radio broadcast over their speaker systems (such as grocery stores) so people don't miss out on the action if they are out grocery shopping. So the basic answer is "everyone".
• How much of a factor is the school's alumni in coming to the games?

Really big factor- they travel from all over the country to go to these games and arrange lots of events before and after games

• what is the geographic footprint of your school's fan base....from where do they draw fans to the game.

The entire state of Nebraska, and they have alumni, ex-Nebraska residents, and other general fans all over the country that travel to Nebraska to games or even arrange large watch parties in cities all around the nation. The group in my area here in Seattle, for example, holds watch parties to watch every game at a local sports bar, often with several hundred Nebraska fans in attendance.
• For state schools, is the whole state the base of fan support or does the school draw only regional support?

Entire state
• what other universities share an overlap geographically with your university for a fan base?

None, as this is the only major division 1 university in the state
• Are there special relationships that affect the fan base....such as Catholics being Notre Dame fans?

Nothing really besides simply being Nebraskans.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:36 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,296,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I'm an Auburn fan. We are among the elect. You come to an Auburn game and our fans don't shout obscenities at your fans. We welcome you to our tailgates and give you beer and food. We talk about the game as if it were a game, not as if it were a matter of life and death. If you beat us after the game, we'll say, "Hey, good game. Drive safely on the way home," and your car will not be vandalized in the stadium parking lot.

Unfortunately, we share the same state with Alabama fans. The biggest collection of stump-neck, gap-toothed, knuckle-dragging, polyester-wearing, stoop-gait, slack-jawed, mullet-haired, biscuit-eating, cousin-kissing, mouth-breathing bunch of hayseeds every accumulated in one spot on the planet earth. I know nice Alabama fans. It just happens to be the other 99% that makes the 1% look bad.
I have attended Auburn games at Bama and at Auburn, and I beg to disagree. Your students inhabit trailer parks all over Auburn, and they are obnoxious and foul mouthed It always irritates me that Auburn fans act like they don't have their share of redneck fans. You know this is the state of Alabama, and both schools have their share of fans that have never attended a university. Did you mean to say that your fans are among the elite? Ask any school that has ever played against Auburn, and you will hear a different story. Of course, there are nice Auburn fans, but you have your share of hicks too.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It's really a mix. For example, wherever there's a heavy proportion of engineers and other highly technical professions, you'll see a lot of Auburn fans (Huntsville for example with the space program and a ton of DoD contractors). Where there's law and business, you'll see a lot of Alabama fans. But if I had to guess, the ratio is two Alabama fans for every Auburn fan.

Of course, in trailer parks, meth labs, bingo halls, white supremacist meetings and various other places, it's almost 100% Alabama fans. With an occasional Tennessee or Georgia fan thrown in for the sake of diversity. Here's a graph that will help you understand:
Based on your extremely rude comments about Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia fans I would say you qualify as one of the obnoxious fans you deny Auburn having.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:15 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,991,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Based on your extremely rude comments about Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia fans I would say you qualify as one of the obnoxious fans you deny Auburn having.
Nah. I just like to crack jokes. However, since you bring it up, do you bark during the games?

Old 09-11-2012, 04:16 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,991,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I have attended Auburn games at Bama and at Auburn, and I beg to disagree. Your students inhabit trailer parks all over Auburn, and they are obnoxious and foul mouthed It always irritates me that Auburn fans act like they don't have their share of redneck fans. You know this is the state of Alabama, and both schools have their share of fans that have never attended a university. Did you mean to say that your fans are among the elite? Ask any school that has ever played against Auburn, and you will hear a different story. Of course, there are nice Auburn fans, but you have your share of hicks too.
Perhaps. But, unlike Georgia fans, our fans don't look like a casting call for extras in Deliverance II.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:21 PM

[quote=cpg35223;26048508]Perhaps. But, unlike Georgia fans, our fans don't look like a casting call for extras in Deliverance II.[/Q

Just to let you know I graduated from UA, but many of my family members graduated from Georgia. They are lawyers, business owners, professors, and one works for Microsoft as a consultant. I think they would differ with your opinion of them, but since you did graduate from the "cow" college I guess you would be familiar with that type of person. I personally like your frat boys with the cowboy boots, and yes, I have seen them myself.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:25 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,032,130 times
I don't live far from the University of Iowa and I don't go to their games however, the area surrounding Iowa City is insane on Game Day and you really do not want to even be out in all those people and all that traffic if you are not going to the game. 50,000 of your closest friends and they are ALL going to the game. Too much for me but I am not a big football fan but it looks like most of them if not all of them always have a really good time.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,774,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I don't live far from the University of Iowa and I don't go to their games however, the area surrounding Iowa City is insane on Game Day and you really do not want to even be out in all those people and all that traffic if you are not going to the game. 50,000 of your closest friends and they are ALL going to the game. Too much for me but I am not a big football fan but it looks like most of them if not all of them always have a really good time.
Hawkeye fans are among the most loyal....especially in their natural bases, Iowa and Chicagoland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football