U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:51 AM

2,327 posts, read 6,237,664 times

Advertisements

What do you SEC fans think about the game in Neyland this Saturday? Should be a big one. Both teams ranked for the first time since 2007, GameDay in tow, two young coaches trying to establish themselves and their programs. What more could you want?

I gotta give the edge to my VOLS this year. Florida will have (by far) the best defense we've faced yet, but not good enough to slow down our passing game. We have a QB and at least two WRs who could be starting for several NFL teams right now.

Yes, our running game still needs work, and if UF can stuff it and force us to become completely one-dimensional, the game could be too close for comfort. However, unless we hand them the game with turnovers and penalties, I don't see Florida's anemic offense putting up the points to keep them in the game. Our secondary has had a few mix-ups in our first two games, but our pressure should give their shaky QBs fits.

My worst nightmare is that it's close enough to be decided by our kicking game. If so, we're screwed.

Luckily, I don't think that will be the case.

Prediction: VOLS 31, Gaytors 14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
What do you SEC fans think about the game in Neyland this Saturday? Should be a big one. Both teams ranked for the first time since 2007, GameDay in tow, two young coaches trying to establish themselves and their programs. What more could you want?

I gotta give the edge to my VOLS this year. Florida will have (by far) the best defense we've faced yet, but not good enough to slow down our passing game. We have a QB and at least two WRs who could be starting for several NFL teams right now.

Yes, our running game still needs work, and if UF can stuff it and force us to become completely one-dimensional, the game could be too close for comfort. However, unless we hand them the game with turnovers and penalties, I don't see Florida's anemic offense putting up the points to keep them in the game. Our secondary has had a few mix-ups in our first two games, but our pressure should give their shaky QBs fits.

My worst nightmare is that it's close enough to be decided by our kicking game. If so, we're screwed.

Luckily, I don't think that will be the case.

Prediction: VOLS 31, Gaytors 14.
I second that... Vols will be top 15 after this game. Tyler Bray is a big time QB. Hunter and Patterson are big time receivers. I would put them up against USC's QB and Receivers... they dont have the numbers from last year because Bray and Hunter were hurt and Patterson was in JUCO, but as far as talent. They are right with them...

Yes I said it!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:00 AM

Also, Florida is VERY banged up after the A&M game and we're healthy as horses, with the exception of Herman Lathers who unfortunately keeps landing himself on the injured list. If Gillislee is out for UF (or plays at less than 85-90%), it could be an even longer day for their offense.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Also, Florida is VERY banged up after the A&M game and we're healthy as horses, with the exception of Herman Lathers who unfortunately keeps landing himself on the injured list. If Gillislee is out for UF (or plays at less than 85-90%), it could be an even longer day for their offense.

This game could set Dooley up for his career... If the Vols win they will have a legitamite shot at battling UGA and SC for the East title.

If Dooley somehow got to Atlanta in his 3rd season that would set him up to be the coach of the future in the SEC.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
This game could set Dooley up for his career... If the Vols win they will have a legitamite shot at battling UGA and SC for the East title.

If Dooley somehow got to Atlanta in his 3rd season that would set him up to be the coach of the future in the SEC.
Very true. The SECe is wide open this year. UGA and SC won't be pushovers, but they both look very beatable so far, particularly SC.

No team on UT's schedule except Alabama looks to be flat out better than the Vols. 11-1 and a trip to Atlanta is not a farfetched possibility, but a more realistic one is that we also slip up and lose a couple winnable games and finish 9-3, with our SEC fate hinging on how things shake out with SC and UGA.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Very true. The SECe is wide open this year. UGA and SC won't be pushovers, but they both look very beatable so far, particularly SC.

No team on UT's schedule except Alabama looks to be flat out better than the Vols. 11-1 and a trip to Atlanta is not a farfetched possibility, but a more realistic one is that we also slip up and lose a couple winnable games and finish 9-3, with our SEC fate hinging on how things shake out with SC and UGA.
agreed... I think we can only lose 2 SEC games though to make it to Atlanta. Cause UGA will not lose more than 2 since they dont play Bama or LSU. The only losses they can get are from us and SC. Well they could lose to Florida too but I dont see that... but if that were to happen they we could lose up to 3 and depending on the tie breakers still hava a shot.

I don't think dooley needs to get to Atlanta this year but if he did it would set the stage up for him very nicely. As long as he beats either UGA, Florida, or SC that will be a big improvement. If he beats 2 of them... he's sitting pretty.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:33 PM

1,367 posts, read 2,917,183 times
While I would love to see The Vols get the win, I just have this feeling Florida pulls it off.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:36 AM

3,969 posts, read 3,634,493 times
I have the same feeling.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
While I would love to see The Vols get the win, I just have this feeling Florida pulls it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
I have the same feeling.
Based on what?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:40 AM

931 posts, read 1,082,494 times
Neyland Stadium will beat Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football