U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:28 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,329,223 times

Advertisements

It looks like there are six cities in the mix as possible sites for the first college football playoff finale. Pasadena (Rose Bowl), New Orleans (Sugar Bowl), Miami (Orange Bowl), Glendale (Fiesta Bowl), Dallas/Arlington (Cotton Bowl), and Atlanta (Chick-fil-A Bowl).

First national playoff finale in 2015 limited to 6 bid cities, sources say - ESPN

What are everyone's thoughts? Where do you think the first game will be played? Which one would you most like to attend if your team was in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 05:44 PM

12,194 posts, read 21,266,817 times
I think it should be based on who is playing in the play off game like they do in the NFL and in Division 2.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 PM

8,351 posts, read 14,288,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I think it should be based on who is playing in the play off game like they do in the NFL
The NFL's championship game, also known as the Super Bowl, is always held at a site determined several years in advance with no regard for who is playing in the game.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
It looks like there are six cities in the mix as possible sites for the first college football playoff finale. Pasadena (Rose Bowl), New Orleans (Sugar Bowl), Miami (Orange Bowl), Glendale (Fiesta Bowl), Dallas/Arlington (Cotton Bowl), and Atlanta (Chick-fil-A Bowl).

First national playoff finale in 2015 limited to 6 bid cities, sources say - ESPN

What are everyone's thoughts? Where do you think the first game will be played? Which one would you most like to attend if your team was in it?
If my team made it to the championship, I would be excited to go to any of these places. I wouldn't care........with the exception of Dallas/Arlington. Sorry, no offense Texans.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The NFL's championship game, also known as the Super Bowl, is always held at a site determined several years in advance with no regard for who is playing in the game.
So its not the playoff game? Why don't they call it what it is then. The division 1 championship game. The way it was worded I thought they meant the last playoff game before the championship game.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:03 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,663,803 times
I'm not up to speed on how this format is being rolled out, but I hope that they will use the bowl games as the play-in games, with the top four teams playing in two bowls, which will be used as semi-final games. You could have one in the East and one in the West each year. So they could have the Sugar and the Rose being the semi-final play-in bowls one year, and the Orange and Fiesta the following year. The winners of these play-in games would then hopefully end up playing each other at a neutral site for the title game. The neutral site could be a traditional BCS bowl site, but it wouldn't have to be. It could be played in non-BCS sites like Indianapolis, Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
So its not the playoff game? Why don't they call it what it is then. The division 1 championship game. The way it was worded I thought they meant the last playoff game before the championship game.
I don't know why the OP chose the word finale instead of a similar word. The OP's linked article explained it well.

I think we can all agree, using context clues and a thesaurus (and the phrase Handicapping The Six Finalist For 2015 Title Game Site from the linked article), we are talking about the new title game that has been in the news.

To get back on track, I will again say that to me, any of those listed "bowls" is fine with me, except Dallas. Sorry, no offense Texans. Something about a football stadium in a place like Arlington across the street from a Wal-Mart just doesn't sound quite as fun as downtown New Orleans or a trip to Pasadena.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:22 AM
JJG

13,282 posts, read 19,437,833 times
Quote:

To get back on track, I will again say that to me, any of those listed "bowls" is fine with me, except Dallas. Sorry, no offense Texans. Something about a football stadium in a place like Arlington across the street from a Wal-Mart just doesn't sound quite as fun as downtown New Orleans or a trip to Pasadena.
Maybe not, but you have TWO cities there. Fort Worth (16 miles away) and Dallas (17 miles).

It's not like you're stuck there.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I don't know why the OP chose the word finale instead of a similar word. The OP's linked article explained it well.

I think we can all agree, using context clues and a thesaurus (and the phrase Handicapping The Six Finalist For 2015 Title Game Site from the linked article), we are talking about the new title game that has been in the news.

I did not read the article since he listed all the cities vying for it. However, since it is the championship game I don't think it matters as all of the cities listed are nice. Now if I was a homer for one of those cities I would want the prestige of having the first division 1 college national championship in my town but since I am not then I think any of them could do a good job.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Maybe not, but you have TWO cities there. Fort Worth (16 miles away) and Dallas (17 miles).

It's not like you're stuck there.
Yeah, and I would have to drive pretty far in traffic to visit either one. Sorry, not something I want to do if I am visiting town for a football game in January. Now, if you can convince me that it would be as fun as visiting downtown New Orleans, I'm all ears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football