U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2012, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,453 posts, read 2,329,223 times
Reputation: 1364

Advertisements

It looks like there are six cities in the mix as possible sites for the first college football playoff finale. Pasadena (Rose Bowl), New Orleans (Sugar Bowl), Miami (Orange Bowl), Glendale (Fiesta Bowl), Dallas/Arlington (Cotton Bowl), and Atlanta (Chick-fil-A Bowl).

First national playoff finale in 2015 limited to 6 bid cities, sources say - ESPN

What are everyone's thoughts? Where do you think the first game will be played? Which one would you most like to attend if your team was in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2012, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,194 posts, read 21,266,817 times
Reputation: 4296
I think it should be based on who is playing in the play off game like they do in the NFL and in Division 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,351 posts, read 14,288,537 times
Reputation: 5993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I think it should be based on who is playing in the play off game like they do in the NFL
The NFL's championship game, also known as the Super Bowl, is always held at a site determined several years in advance with no regard for who is playing in the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2012, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,351 posts, read 14,288,537 times
Reputation: 5993
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
It looks like there are six cities in the mix as possible sites for the first college football playoff finale. Pasadena (Rose Bowl), New Orleans (Sugar Bowl), Miami (Orange Bowl), Glendale (Fiesta Bowl), Dallas/Arlington (Cotton Bowl), and Atlanta (Chick-fil-A Bowl).

First national playoff finale in 2015 limited to 6 bid cities, sources say - ESPN

What are everyone's thoughts? Where do you think the first game will be played? Which one would you most like to attend if your team was in it?
If my team made it to the championship, I would be excited to go to any of these places. I wouldn't care........with the exception of Dallas/Arlington. Sorry, no offense Texans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2012, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,194 posts, read 21,266,817 times
Reputation: 4296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The NFL's championship game, also known as the Super Bowl, is always held at a site determined several years in advance with no regard for who is playing in the game.
So its not the playoff game? Why don't they call it what it is then. The division 1 championship game. The way it was worded I thought they meant the last playoff game before the championship game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2012, 07:03 PM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,663,803 times
Reputation: 3225
I'm not up to speed on how this format is being rolled out, but I hope that they will use the bowl games as the play-in games, with the top four teams playing in two bowls, which will be used as semi-final games. You could have one in the East and one in the West each year. So they could have the Sugar and the Rose being the semi-final play-in bowls one year, and the Orange and Fiesta the following year. The winners of these play-in games would then hopefully end up playing each other at a neutral site for the title game. The neutral site could be a traditional BCS bowl site, but it wouldn't have to be. It could be played in non-BCS sites like Indianapolis, Dallas, Houston, or Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,351 posts, read 14,288,537 times
Reputation: 5993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
So its not the playoff game? Why don't they call it what it is then. The division 1 championship game. The way it was worded I thought they meant the last playoff game before the championship game.
I don't know why the OP chose the word finale instead of a similar word. The OP's linked article explained it well.

I think we can all agree, using context clues and a thesaurus (and the phrase Handicapping The Six Finalist For 2015 Title Game Site from the linked article), we are talking about the new title game that has been in the news.

To get back on track, I will again say that to me, any of those listed "bowls" is fine with me, except Dallas. Sorry, no offense Texans. Something about a football stadium in a place like Arlington across the street from a Wal-Mart just doesn't sound quite as fun as downtown New Orleans or a trip to Pasadena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 10:22 AM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,282 posts, read 19,437,833 times
Reputation: 7053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

To get back on track, I will again say that to me, any of those listed "bowls" is fine with me, except Dallas. Sorry, no offense Texans. Something about a football stadium in a place like Arlington across the street from a Wal-Mart just doesn't sound quite as fun as downtown New Orleans or a trip to Pasadena.
Maybe not, but you have TWO cities there. Fort Worth (16 miles away) and Dallas (17 miles).

It's not like you're stuck there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,194 posts, read 21,266,817 times
Reputation: 4296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I don't know why the OP chose the word finale instead of a similar word. The OP's linked article explained it well.

I think we can all agree, using context clues and a thesaurus (and the phrase Handicapping The Six Finalist For 2015 Title Game Site from the linked article), we are talking about the new title game that has been in the news.

To get back on track, I will again say that to me, any of those listed "bowls" is fine with me, except Dallas. Sorry, no offense Texans. Something about a football stadium in a place like Arlington across the street from a Wal-Mart just doesn't sound quite as fun as downtown New Orleans or a trip to Pasadena.
I did not read the article since he listed all the cities vying for it. However, since it is the championship game I don't think it matters as all of the cities listed are nice. Now if I was a homer for one of those cities I would want the prestige of having the first division 1 college national championship in my town but since I am not then I think any of them could do a good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2012, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,351 posts, read 14,288,537 times
Reputation: 5993
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Maybe not, but you have TWO cities there. Fort Worth (16 miles away) and Dallas (17 miles).

It's not like you're stuck there.
Yeah, and I would have to drive pretty far in traffic to visit either one. Sorry, not something I want to do if I am visiting town for a football game in January. Now, if you can convince me that it would be as fun as visiting downtown New Orleans, I'm all ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:52 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top