Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:58 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Notre Dame's end game in this is to one day transition to full time ACC membership. They'll keep a west coast team and Navy; but don't be surprised if ND drops Purdue and Michigan State in the future.
Being a full member of the ACC would be the end of their football program.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Notre Dame's end game in this is to one day transition to full time ACC membership. They'll keep a west coast team and Navy; but don't be surprised if ND drops Purdue and Michigan State in the future.
Their end game is to always stay independent.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:29 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Exactly. Jack Swarbrick, Notre Dame's AD, worked very hard to complete this deal with the ACC and maintain independence.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Being a full member of the ACC would be the end of their football program.
Just like West Virginia ending its football program in the Big 12. I got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGaBound12
Exactly. Jack Swarbrick, Notre Dame's AD, worked very hard to complete this deal with the ACC and maintain independence.
They will eventually be a full member. I give it two years.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Just like West Virginia ending its football program in the Big 12. I got it

They will eventually be a full member. I give it two years.
Big 12 is actually a good conference, and they win bowl games and have good teams, unlike the ACC.

I actually think ND made a smart move. They get more money, dont give the ACC anything, and get 5 free cupcake wins a year. They can schedule 2-3 good teams, keep a few old rivals, and not be associated with the Awful Cupcake Conference.

I doubt they would ever join the ACC as it would destroy their football program, which happened to every ACC team, and they would lose all respect .

Last edited by cry_havoc; 10-17-2012 at 08:17 PM..

Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Jack knows what he is doing. ND can not just jump into a conference, they have too many agreements with too many teams to just drop them all on a whim. Notre Dame has denied for the better part of a year that they were working with the ACC. Well, guess what, they were playing footsie with the ACC the whole time. Jack knows the landscape is changing, and he is positioning ND for the reality they could face. It has been widely speculated, at least here in Indiana where I live, that ND plans to join the ACC in the future full time. This is just the first step. It was no accident that Michigan was the first to be dropped.

Quote:
I actually think ND made a smart move. They get more money, dont give the ACC anything, and get 5 free cupcake wins a year. They can schedule 2-3 good teams, keep a few old rivals, and not be associated with the Awful Cupcake Conference.

I doubt they would ever join the ACC as it would destroy their football program, which happened to every ACC team, and they would lose all respect .
I know you hate the ACC, and that's fine. However, Notre Dame has survived Bob Davie, Ty Willingham, and Charlie Weiss. The ACC can do no more damage than has already been done.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Jack knows what he is doing. ND can not just jump into a conference, they have too many agreements with too many teams to just drop them all on a whim. Notre Dame has denied for the better part of a year that they were working with the ACC. Well, guess what, they were playing footsie with the ACC the whole time. Jack knows the landscape is changing, and he is positioning ND for the reality they could face. It has been widely speculated, at least here in Indiana where I live, that ND plans to join the ACC in the future full time. This is just the first step. It was no accident that Michigan was the first to be dropped.

I know you hate the ACC, and that's fine. However, Notre Dame has survived Bob Davie, Ty Willingham, and Charlie Weiss. The ACC can do no more damage than has already been done.
I dont hate the ACC, I just hold them in contempt because they are not a good football conference. Actually it is not even the ACC I hold in contempt but a few deluded fans who have deluded themselves into thinking they are a power conference when they are far from one. It really isnt the ACC's fault.

Still, every team that has joined the ACC has seen their football program go to the toilet, without exception. They are a great basketball conference, but in football they are worse than the Big East.

Right now I feel ND made a smart move. The ACC is a good fit, they are going to get a lot of money, dont have to give the ACC any of their money, and retain independence. You only play 5 ACC games, and they are almost guaranteed wins, as long as ND doesnt blow it. However, as a full member they lose all these advantages and the conference will drag ND to their level.

If ND wants to put football on the secondary and focus on basketball than becoming a full ACC member makes sense, but if they have any ambitions for their football program they should remain independent. The ACC is desperate now, and unless ND drastically loses fan support or a miracle occurs and the ACC stops sucking the ACC will let ND do whatever it wants.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:25 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:

Maybe they will join. Then they can join with Miami and FSU as the teams that are back every year until they lose to a horrible team.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:56 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
I dont hate the ACC, I just hold them in contempt because they are not a good football conference. Actually it is not even the ACC I hold in contempt but a few deluded fans who have deluded themselves into thinking they are a power conference when they are far from one. It really isnt the ACC's fault.
Sure you hate the ACC. You mention it in every thread bro. You aren't fooling anyone.

P.S. There are only 1 power conference, which is the SEC. Beyond that, it is about conferences hoping to be in the same breath. ACC fans aren't delusional to think that but Big 12 fans (might be just you) on the other hand... well that is a different story.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Sure you hate the ACC. You mention it in every thread bro. You aren't fooling anyone.

P.S. There are only 1 power conference, which is the SEC. Beyond that, it is about conferences hoping to be in the same breath. ACC fans aren't delusional to think that but Big 12 fans (might be just you) on the other hand... well that is a different story.
Actually no I dont, I dislike people like you who are in denial about the ACC. If you accepted the truth, which you know deep in your heart, than you would never hear of it. Pretty much everyone else agrees with me, except you and 1-2 other ACC fans.

SEC is the best conference, without a doubt, but Big 12 is definitely considered a power conference, and really so is the PAC. The Big 10 was considered one, but this year I dont know anymore. ACC was becoming one when FSU was good, and was supposed to become one when they raided Miami and VT, but they all started sucking. I would rate the ACC behind the Big E in football, but some people might argue they are the 5th best conference. Either way they are nowhere close to being one of the 4, or 3, power conferences. Face it you are cupcake conference. Every conference has a few bad teams, but your whole conference consist of cupcakes. Ill grant FSU and Clemson are above average in football ability, but far from good. In the Big 12 FSU would probably be ranked 5-7, and probably lower in the SEC.

Big 12 is no SEC, but it is a MUCH better and tougher conference than the ACC.

Look lets end this grudge you have against the Big 12. I know you are bitter they didnt take FSU, but it wasnt the right time. If and when it comes beneficial to the Big 12 to expand they might take FSU, but frankly I would prefer they didnt, unless you greatly increased conference revenue. At some point a conference has enough good teams, which both the SEC and Big 12 have and adding teams with potentials doesnt really improve the conference football, but it makes the conference much more brutal. FSU would be a good fit for the Big 12, but I feel in the Big 12 FSU actually has the potential to be really good again, and the conference is already good enough.

Like I said I dont dislike the ACC. I did dislike the ACC for raiding the Big East, but they basically became the old Big East. Right now Literally they are the old Big East, but without a team that can win a National Championship, much less a BCS bowl game. I really liked the old Big East, so how could I hate the ACC now that they are the same thing?

I know you dont like when I call the ACC a bad conference, but it is true. There is not any debate about that among serious NCAA football fans. You can rag on the Big 12, the PAC, and even the Big 10 all you want, but they are ALL considered VASTYL SUPERIOR to the ACC. This is a widespread belief, and I find only a very few ACC fans feel otherwise.

I realize you have an opinion, but I am speaking in facts and not opinion. I realize this upsets you, but denying it and bashing better conferences is not going to change anything. I will tell you what when the ACC actually gets good people will feel otherwise, but until then...

So I want you to realize this is nothing personal. You did make it personal when you started bashing specific teams because you didnt like how people view your conference, but I am willing to put that behind us. Let's say we show some civility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football