Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:10 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I will always feel that a coach who plays it safe should never be on the sidelines whether it's college or the NFL. You have to take risks during a game and not coach to protect a lead but coach to win the game.
Ask Paul Chryst, Pitt's head coach, what happens when you play to not lose. While I can't agree with you that Alabama, of all teams, had accepted they lost nor that Les Miles needs to be fired. I'm sorry but Alabama, coached by Nick Saban, weren't resigning themselves to a loss. And I hate Alabama but they don't just give up and accept defeat. They are the defending champions for crying out loud.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:59 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
If you think for one minute that Saban or McCarron "threw in the towel", then I can't reason with you. Teams that have accepted a loss, just don't come back and win. Good teams take advantage of game situations. To not credit Alabama for that win shows a shallowness of understanding of the game. You are focusing on just one aspect of the game, not the entire contest. Micromanaging.

I was looking at the body language of the Alabama players and they looked like they were preparing to accept a loss until the LSU coach went out of his way to give them a reason to believe

Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Ask Paul Chryst, Pitt's head coach, what happens when you play to not lose. While I can't agree with you that Alabama, of all teams, had accepted they lost nor that Les Miles needs to be fired. I'm sorry but Alabama, coached by Nick Saban, weren't resigning themselves to a loss. And I hate Alabama but they don't just give up and accept defeat. They are the defending champions for crying out loud.

Up until that 3rd down play, Alabama had checked out of the game. They were thrilled to see that LSU decided to run on 3rd and long rather than get the 1st down. That's why on their last drive the offense was ALIVE because the LSU coach allowed them to stay in the game.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
"Tiger Bait"!!!

Tiiiiger bait... tiiiiger bait....tiiiiger bait!!!
Quote:
^What he said.
And like I said... Roll Tide.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Well said.

They might be a rival school, but I gotta respect Alabama. They're a great team, with a great coaching staff. They never quit, and they've got mature athletes who don't panic in a big game. That last part may be the big difference between Alabama and LSU. They both recruit athletes, but Saban is more selective. He recruits individuals who are going to be mature and not do stupid stuff on or off the field.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:43 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I was looking at the body language of the Alabama players and they looked like they were preparing to accept a loss until the LSU coach went out of his way to give them a reason to believe
I think that you are too obsessed with one aspect of the game. Miles is not going anywhere. LSU is doing better than it ever has under him. All coaches make mistakes. You have to give Bama credit.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:45 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Well said.

They might be a rival school, but I gotta respect Alabama. They're a great team, with a great coaching staff. They never quit, and they've got mature athletes who don't panic in a big game. That last part may be the big difference between Alabama and LSU. They both recruit athletes, but Saban is more selective. He recruits individuals who are going to be mature and not do stupid stuff on or off the field.
I think that you are exactly right, Alabama didn't panic. What some might view as a resigned type of body language, I saw it as just remaining calm and focused, like you see every Sunday afternoon. They made the most of the opportunities that were presented, the clear sign of a winner, not the sign of a deficiency of the other team.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:17 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Thread is now closed.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:20 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times
I would just like to remind people that moderators use their judgement when it comes to closing threads, or deleting posts. It is NEVER going to make everyone happy, but please realize that we do this to try to keep conversation civil, professional (to some level), and fluid. This website is made up of over a million posters, and sometimes we cannot make everyone happy.

Double H has a thankless job (trust me, I know), and I'm saddened to hear about the harassing DMs he is recieving. There are a million forums out there that do not have moderators that try to keep things in line. Feel free to join one of them if you don't like it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football